PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

IPF News?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: IPF News?

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 am

ReedFrawg wrote:Why would you need a track???

We have a pretty good women's track team and they like pretty things.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:11 pm

fifty wrote:If you can win conference championships with no facility, why build one? I don't agree with my own statement here but it's probably what people with no ties to the sport(s) think.

With a real pool, we could easily have Olympians again.

Bottom line, we need to Shi@ or get off the Pot when it comes to our swimming program. 30+ years ago, we needed a new pool. #stillwaiting

While the program has managed to stay competitive, it needs to be rebuilt or killed off. With no indoor pool at all, things will only get worse.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:15 pm

For those saying there are no tangible plans for a new natatorium:

Taken straight from the SMU website

"Aquatic Center
Planning for SMU’s new Aquatic Center is underway. Situated on East Campus, this state-of-the–art facility’s center piece will be the world-class 50 meter competition pool. Other elements of the facility include a 10 Meter Dive Tower, one and three meter spring boards and elevated seating for 700 spectators. The ample pool deck will accommodate Varsity Athletes’ workout requirements. Air quality in natatorium for athletes and spectators will be provided by the latest mechanical systems. Support areas includes visitor’s lockers and toilets, Male and Female Varsity Athletes lockers and toilets, Varsity Sports Storage, Coaches office suite, and public lobby for receiving visitors. Completion of the Aquatic Center is expected early 2017."
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:04 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:For those saying there are no tangible plans for a new natatorium:

"Aquatic Center
Planning for SMU’s new Aquatic Center is underway. Situated on East Campus, this state-of-the–art facility’s center piece will be the world-class 50 meter competition pool. Other elements of the facility include a 10 Meter Dive Tower, one and three meter spring boards and elevated seating for 700 spectators. The ample pool deck will accommodate Varsity Athletes’ workout requirements. Air quality in natatorium for athletes and spectators will be provided by the latest mechanical systems. Support areas includes visitor’s lockers and toilets, Male and Female Varsity Athletes lockers and toilets, Varsity Sports Storage, Coaches office suite, and public lobby for receiving visitors. Completion of the Aquatic Center is expected early 2017."

I hope you are right.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:10 pm

There's no hoping to it. The project is already been mapped out. I swear this board gets worse every day. I'm sticking to Rivals from now on. Battered Wives and helicopter parents have ruined what was once a really great site.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:33 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:There's no hoping to it. The project is already been mapped out. I swear this board gets worse every day. I'm sticking to Rivals from now on. Battered Wives and helicopter parents have ruined what was once a really great site.

For approximately 30yrs, I have been told that a new Natorium is in "the plans." My HS friend, who they tried to recruit, was told we would have a new Natorium before he graduated. There is a decent chance that his kids have graduated college.

Until I see dirt flying, I reserve the right to be skeptical.

Despite decades of success, I fear someone will decide that the $XXM that a new pool will cost would be better spent on:
1) A new baseball/softball facility - both sports get decent TV time and draw decent ratings.
2) The IPF
3) A men's track team which could help the football team.
Frankly, if didn't care about the swimming/diving program, I might make the decision to kill it myself.

As for the IPF, I do believe that will happen on a reasonable timetable. The only drama will be how big, how much, when and the location.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Swim teams have not had an indoor pool for well over a year and none in sight. Tough to practice outdoors in the winter. Where are the pool $$$?
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fifty » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Digetydog wrote:
For approximately 30yrs, I have been told that a new Natorium is in "the plans." My HS friend, who they tried to recruit, was told we would have a new Natorium before he graduated. There is a decent chance that his kids have graduated college.

Until I see dirt flying, I reserve the right to be skeptical.

If it makes you feel any better, there are some things knocked down (being taken out?) at the track field east of 75 / SMU blvd. So dirt did indeed move...
fifty
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:07 pm

fifty wrote: If it makes you feel any better, there are some things knocked down (being taken out?) at the track field east of 75 / SMU blvd. So dirt did indeed move...

Katy Trail right-of-way? :lol:
Bergermeister

Postby smustatesman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:52 pm

mrydel wrote:Everything is in place but the money. If anyone here has it, they will break ground quickly.

Offered to donate $23.50; and they said, "for that amount they wouldn't even break wind". :shock:
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:12 pm

id love for SMU to be great again at swimming, but we have to be smart where our dollars go. Is there a sport with less attendance that costs more per student? I don't think so. If you were an unemotional consultant, you would crank up lacrosse - which would have about 1000 kids attend at a school like SMU - and would cost way less per athlete. Let the swimming and diving go. I know that is sacrilege and the amphibians will be out to get me - but I don't see what the return on investment is on a 35 million dollar natatorium built for 30 athletes
gostangs

Postby GreenbeltPony » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:54 pm

gostangs wrote:id love for SMU to be great again at swimming, but we have to be smart where our dollars go. Is there a sport with less attendance that costs more per student?

Equestrian?
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby footballdad » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:06 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:There's no hoping to it. The project is already been mapped out. I swear this board gets worse every day. I'm sticking to Rivals from now on. Battered Wives and helicopter parents have ruined what was once a really great site.

Buh Bye :!:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:27 am

StallionsModelT wrote:For those saying there are no tangible plans for a new natatorium:

"Aquatic Center

Thanks for the website comment, but I have been following this issue for more than 20 years, as has Pocono Pony. This is the intent and is aspirational. However, the reality is funding remains a challenge. There are rumors of a major gift, but it is not final or perhaps imminent. :| At the moment, we are holding our collective breaths (under water, of course.)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:02 am

JoeKidd wrote:I had dinner back in June with one of the Athletics Giving Dept. people and asked about the IPF, poking around to see how they were fundraising for it and if people could give directly for that cause. I was suprised that the answer was there wasn't a coordinated fundraising plan yet for it, but told one was coming soon...so maybe this fall.

As much as HCM has prioritized this I would have thought we would have had a more coordinated fundraising plan by this point.

FYI, most of the time, they seek major gifts quietly before publicly discussing the fundraising plan. No idea if that is the case here, but it's possible.
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football