PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

IPF News?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: IPF News?

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:34 am

GreenbeltPony wrote:
gostangs wrote:id love for SMU to be great again at swimming, but we have to be smart where our dollars go. Is there a sport with less attendance that costs more per student?

Equestrian?

One of the reasons that women's rowing teams have become popular in college athletics is cost per athlete. Apparently, rowing is a very efficient way to comply with Title IX.

Frankly, I am shocked that we have an "Equestrian Team." Given the costs associated with the care of the horses and travel, I would expect the per student costs of Equestrian to be very high. But, the fact that we added Equestrian suggests that it is not that expensive? Doesn't it?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:21 am

Digetydog wrote:Frankly, I am shocked that we have an "Equestrian Team." Given the costs associated with the care of the horses and travel, I would expect the per student costs of Equestrian to be very high. But, the fact that we added Equestrian suggests that it is not that expensive? Doesn't it?

Equestrian is advertised to be one of the lower cost per athlete sports because most of the horses are donated. Teams don't travel horses either.

I don't know how true that is, but that's what they say.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ReedFrawg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:33 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Digetydog wrote:Frankly, I am shocked that we have an "Equestrian Team." Given the costs associated with the care of the horses and travel, I would expect the per student costs of Equestrian to be very high. But, the fact that we added Equestrian suggests that it is not that expensive? Doesn't it?

Equestrian is advertised to be one of the lower cost per athlete sports because most of the horses are donated. Teams don't travel horses either.

I don't know how true that is, but that's what they say.

This is true at TCU so I assume elsewhere.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby NewAgeMustange » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 am

Call me stupid, but doesn't the act of jumping with horses over objects mean that you have to have some sort of bond with them? I can't imagine riding any old horse for the first time in a competition and being trustworthy with it. . . or do those girls have way more control over what they do?
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:11 pm

NewAgeMustange wrote:Call me stupid, but doesn't the act of jumping with horses over objects mean that you have to have some sort of bond with them? I can't imagine riding any old horse for the first time in a competition and being trustworthy with it. . . or do those girls have way more control over what they do?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

At an event, do they draw for horses like the guys in the PBR draw for bucking bulls?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Digetydog wrote:At an event, do they draw for horses like the guys in the PBR draw for bucking bulls?

Yes.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Not sure how it is done but they are all using the same horses so I doubt it matters. Can you imagine what the horses are saying? They are the ones that have to put up with different riders all the time.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyswim » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:35 pm

Equestrian has 33 athletes at $4200/per athlete in expenses.
Not the least expensive but pretty low.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetails.aspx
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 pm

mrydel wrote:Not sure how it is done but they are all using the same horses so I doubt it matters. Can you imagine what the horses are saying? They are the ones that have to put up with different riders all the time.

For each of the four disciplines, each team submits its rider names and they are randomly drawn against each other along with a horse.

Obviously, there is a home field advantage since the host team is familiar with its horses, but it's not like you could have one rider practice on the same horse all the time and then get to have her ride it in the competition.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMUfrat » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:22 pm

I think we go big! The more attention this grabs by the college football world the better. With a 100 million dollar facility, P5 will take notice and know we are committed to success.

I am excited. I want this to be amazing.
SMUfrat
Junior Varsity

Postby Junior » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:42 pm

mrydel wrote:Not sure how it is done but they are all using the same horses so I doubt it matters. Can you imagine what the horses are saying? They are the ones that have to put up with different riders all the time.

For each of the four disciplines, each team submits its rider names and they are randomly drawn against each other along with a horse.

Obviously, there is a home field advantage since the host team is familiar with its horses, but it's not like you could have one rider practice on the same horse all the time and then get to have her ride it in the competition.

Wow. I can actually say I learned something about equestrian today. I had always assumed the horses travelled.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:43 pm

NewAgeMustange wrote:Call me stupid, but doesn't the act of jumping with horses over objects mean that you have to have some sort of bond with them? I can't imagine riding any old horse for the first time in a competition and being trustworthy with it. . . or do those girls have way more control over what they do?

My daughter and her husband train horses and riders for a living and she was an equestrian at Clemson (club sport there). Her competitions include grading riders, horses and rider/horse combos so big advantage to "knowing the horse" but how well a rider handles a horse unfamiliar to her is a pretty big deal and more typical of collegiate events where the schools don't "trailer" their horses. At least that is my understanding but I will admit to not being very involved.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:My daughter and her husband train horses and riders for a living and she was an equestrian at Clemson (club sport there). Her competitions include grading riders, horses and rider/horse combos so big advantage to "knowing the horse" but how well a rider handles a horse unfamiliar to her is a pretty big deal and more typical of collegiate events where the schools don't "trailer" their horses. At least that is my understanding but I will admit to not being very involved.

Yeah. They get like a 10-minute warm up with their horse and then they have to go out and jump it or control it in patterns.

I know equestrian is the default Title IX sport to bag on, but it is pretty freaking impressive what the girls do.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby GreenbeltPony » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:My daughter and her husband train horses and riders for a living and she was an equestrian at Clemson (club sport there). Her competitions include grading riders, horses and rider/horse combos so big advantage to "knowing the horse" but how well a rider handles a horse unfamiliar to her is a pretty big deal and more typical of collegiate events where the schools don't "trailer" their horses. At least that is my understanding but I will admit to not being very involved.

Yeah. They get like a 10-minute warm up with their horse and then they have to go out and jump it or control it in patterns.

I know equestrian is the default Title IX sport to bag on, but it is pretty freaking impressive what the girls do.

I only brought it up because I remembered seeing some figure like "125k per horse," but I had no idea that the horses were privately-owned.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:I only brought it up because I remembered seeing some figure like "125k per horse," but I had no idea that the horses were privately-owned.

$125k?, does that include their pension?
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football