PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Home and home with Texas State

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Home and home with Texas State

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:38 am

footballdad wrote: Sorry, but TCU, Baylor and A&M will never be 3 of our first 4 games again......ever.

When we scheduled those games Baylor was awful, A&M was middle of the road Big12, and TCU was in the Mtn. West. All 3 of them were focused on improving their programs, while the folks in charge of ours were complaining about the stadium lights and small meeting rooms. Besides that, UNT destroyed us also. The problem was the quality of the product, not the schedule. We could have played an entire FCS schedule last year and not had a winning record.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:56 am

Haha, I agree with Dad too.

Also, the TCU series is going to be renewed. ReedFrawg has always been amicable on here, I don't understand why people call him a troll. He's not Cougar King or anything.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby West Coast Johnny » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:30 am

I read this board frequently and I'm confused as to what SMU fans want. Over the last several years, SMU probably had the greatest OOC schedule in the nation with home & homes with Baylor, TCU and A&M. I agree with SMU fans that one & dones @ Michigan etal suck - but as recently as 2009 TCU did a one & done @ Clemson (and won). SMU could probably schedule some great home & homes with the likes of Nebraska, Missouri, LSU, Arkansas, if you agreed to move your "home" game to Jerry's World. Nebraska for one would LOVE playing road games in front of their own fans in Texas. I agree that it would be in SMU's best interest to schedule H&H with "lower tier" P5 teams like Kansas, Washington State, Purdue, Wake, etc. but guess what... everyone wants to play Kansas so the Jayhawks and their like are ironically in a power position when it comes to scheduling.

What does SMU want and is it realistic?
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 am

West Coast Johnny wrote:I read this board frequently and I'm confused as to what SMU fans want. Over the last several years, SMU probably had the greatest OOC schedule in the nation with home & homes with Baylor, TCU and A&M. I agree with SMU fans that one & dones @ Michigan etal suck - but as recently as 2009 TCU did a one & done @ Clemson (and won). SMU could probably schedule some great home & homes with the likes of Nebraska, Missouri, LSU, Arkansas, if you agreed to move your "home" game to Jerry's World. Nebraska for one would LOVE playing road games in front of their own fans in Texas. I agree that it would be in SMU's best interest to schedule H&H with "lower tier" P5 teams like Kansas, Washington State, Purdue, Wake, etc. but guess what... everyone wants to play Kansas so the Jayhawks and their like are ironically in a power position when it comes to scheduling.

Thankfully Rick Hart makes the scheduling decisions as the majority of people on here tend to contradict themselves and don't know what they want. Let's try and do well with the schedule that we have before we go and schedule Alabama.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:14 am

West Coast Johnny wrote:I read this board frequently and I'm confused as to what SMU fans want. Over the last several years, SMU probably had the greatest OOC schedule in the nation with home & homes with Baylor, TCU and A&M. I agree with SMU fans that one & dones @ Michigan etal suck - but as recently as 2009 TCU did a one & done @ Clemson (and won). SMU could probably schedule some great home & homes with the likes of Nebraska, Missouri, LSU, Arkansas, if you agreed to move your "home" game to Jerry's World. Nebraska for one would LOVE playing road games in front of their own fans in Texas. I agree that it would be in SMU's best interest to schedule H&H with "lower tier" P5 teams like Kansas, Washington State, Purdue, Wake, etc. but guess what... everyone wants to play Kansas so the Jayhawks and their like are ironically in a power position when it comes to scheduling.

Most people on this board want to see UNT, SHSU, SFA and Houston Baptist become our traditional rivals.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 am

I think that SMU should poll its season ticket holders to see if they want SMU to play Montana St, James Madison, SFA and SHSU and then they ought to go back and check their attendance rolls and deduct attendance points from anybody that said yes and didn't show up. YOU know who you are and there are a HELLUVA lot of you that don't bother to show up for these scrimmages. Some of us actually are paying $100-150 to watch this crap just so you can get your egos stroked by attending the Toilet Bowl with a 6-6 record. I have less problems with playing any Texas Division 1A schools because they help attendance. and they play with the same 85 man scholarship limits rather than outmanned 65 scholarship Division 1-AA teams. These games are the reason the NCAA has attendance issues -certainly not because of traditional rivals. There needs to be a Fans Bill of Rights. Another pet peeve-there ought to be mandated reciprocity for visiting teams ticket blocks. Each school should be mandated to make available 4,000 tickets to visiting teams and the seats must start at the 25 yard line-to be released if not purchased 1 month before the game. It is ridiculous that the NCAA allows schools to split up visiting team allotments and then sticks half the fans base into the nose-bleed section.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 am

West Coast Johnny wrote:but guess what... everyone wants to play Kansas so the Jayhawks and their like are ironically in a power position when it comes to scheduling.

After the SEC mandated that each school play one P5 team OOC each season, the KU AD said his phone was ringing off the hook
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ReedFrawg » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:34 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
ReedFrawg wrote:What else do you want? No P5 schools are going to do a home and home with smu today. These schools can either pocket huge dollars for a home game or they can play at smu in front of 25,000 fans. So the SMU AD can either schedule home ancd homes with inferior leagues or play a bunch of one and done deals on the road. It's an easy call. Obviously the goal is to improve the schedule but it's going to take time. SMU simply has no leverage in football right now.

I realize you're only here to troll, and have been for years, but at least try to be realistic.

Georgia Tech scheduled a four game home and home with Tulane
Vandy scheduled a home and home with NIU and Houston
Louisville scheduled a home and home with Houston
Wake Forest scheduled a six game home and home with Army
Cal scheduled a home and home with San Diego State

And that's just a handful of examples....a lot of P5 schools would come here for a H&H because it's great exposure in one of the best recruiting hotbeds in the country. Chad has been pretty adamant about softening the OOC slate to build momentum and get some easy Ws, though. I'd be surprised if that wasn't part of his condition of being hired

Only here to troll? Wtf? Been on this board for 15 years. I was advocating a softer schedule here for the last 2 years and think it makes a lot of sense. That was my main point. No need to be a jerk.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:08 am

Reed is right about leverage. I do think that some schools might want to make a trip to Dallas as a recruiting trip like an Ole Miss or Kansas school.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Arkpony » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:28 am

Reed is a good guy. A TCU fan but always fair.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby ReedFrawg » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:44 am

Arkpony wrote:Reed is a good guy. A TCU fan but always fair.

Thanks guys. Yes I am a tcu fan but I enjoy visiting here from time to time when I get sick of the tcu boards.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby ReedFrawg » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:49 am

LakeHighlandsPony wrote:Reed is right about leverage. I do think that some schools might want to make a trip to Dallas as a recruiting trip like an Ole Miss or Kansas school.

Kansas schools already get to play in TX every year but maybe a Miss or miss st? I was just pointing out that financially it makes more sense for the big schools to play a home game and pocket the cash as opposed to a road game in a smaller stadium. Certainly there are other benefits to playing a game in Dallas.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:25 am

ReedFrawg wrote:
LakeHighlandsPony wrote:Reed is right about leverage. I do think that some schools might want to make a trip to Dallas as a recruiting trip like an Ole Miss or Kansas school.

Kansas schools already get to play in TX every year but maybe a Miss or miss st? I was just pointing out that financially it makes more sense for the big schools to play a home game and pocket the cash as opposed to a road game in a smaller stadium. Certainly there are other benefits to playing a game in Dallas.

Would you count road games played by powerhouses at TCU as going to a small stadium, Reed?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football