PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Home and home with Texas State

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Home and home with Texas State

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:05 pm

@smdrjoe: This just in: #TXST will face SMU in a home-and-home series, a source confirmed to me. Series will be 2018, 2019.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Home and home with Texas State

Postby GreenbeltPony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:50 pm

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/smu-mustangs.php:

2018:
@ UNT
@ Michigan
TCU
TxSt (assuming home)

2019:
@ ArkSt
UNT
@ TxSt
??? @ TCU?

Not really a fan of the 2019 schedule.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Should we expect 3-1 at worst in 2019 for our non-conference record?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

2019 and 2020
smupony94

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:27 pm

2019 schedule will give us a chance to go to a P5 major bowl game.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:40 pm

I'll take this over getting gutted by A&M early all day. Lets see what our fan base can be if we are 6-7 games into the season with one loss. Yes, its a bit fake, but Dallas doesn't care. They just want wins. They aren't going to come see SMU without a connection unless we are winning lots of games.

This is how you build a program. Once you get 4 years of recruiting depth you start moving up the ladder.
gostangs

Postby GreenbeltPony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Rebel10 wrote:2019 schedule will give us a chance to go to a P5 major bowl game.

I'm not so sure about that; it'd be a pretty weak OOC slate even when compared to other G5 programs.

Edit: I've always been in favor of building from the ground up with one or two perennially "weak" P5 teams like Wake Forest, Washington St., etc. each year and then 2 cupcakes. However, by 2019 one would assume that the foundation would be set for something more like 2 P5s (TCU + WF/WSU) and 2 cupcakes instead of TCU + 3 cupcakes. I'll admit that Arkansas State is a good program, but we'd get more out of playing a P5.

Who knows (except those in the know). Maybe we're having difficulty scheduling P5s, or maybe the department has decided that quantity of wins will trump quality of wins going into the next (last?) round of realignment. I have full faith in them regardless.
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:2019 schedule will give us a chance to go to a P5 major bowl game.

I'm not so sure about that; it'd be a pretty weak OOC slate even when compared to other G5 programs.

Edit: I've always been in favor of building from the ground up with one or two perennially "weak" P5 teams like Wake Forest, Washington St., etc. each year and then 2 cupcakes. However, by 2019 one would assume that the foundation would be set for something more like 2 P5s (TCU + WF/WSU) and 2 cupcakes instead of TCU + 3 cupcakes. I'll admit that Arkansas State is a good program, but we'd get more out of playing a P5.

Who knows (except those in the know). Maybe we're having difficulty scheduling P5s, or maybe the department has decided that quantity of wins will trump quality of wins going into the next (last?) round of realignment. I have full faith in them regardless.

Better to have these games that will at least put us in the conversation of a major bowl than a schedule like last year and get blow out of a couple of the first few games that takes us out of the conversation early.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
GreenbeltPony wrote:

Better to have these games that will at least put us in the conversation of a major bowl than a schedule like last year and get blow out of a couple of the first few games that takes us out of the conversation early.

To play with the best (aka a major bowl) you gotta beat the best. 2019 schedule blows donkey balls. I'm with Greenbelt on scheduling TCU, two beaters, and a low rung P-5
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:36 pm

so the only difference in what you described and what we have is replacing UNT with a low P-5? I could see that - and maybe we try that in 2020. I am sure the plan is to roll these lower schools off as we get better. For now I'll take the wins - we've tried the other and it doesn't work.
gostangs

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:38 pm

blackoutpony wrote:To play with the best (aka a major bowl) you gotta beat the best. 2019 schedule blows donkey balls. I'm with Greenbelt on scheduling TCU, two beaters, and a low rung P-5

Not really. Who did Boise play in there OOC last year? If Marshall does not lose that last game they were in it and they did not have a world beater OOC. You have to give yourself a chance, we are not Alabama.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby GreenbeltPony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:00 pm

gostangs wrote:so the only difference in what you described and what we have is replacing UNT with a low P-5? I could see that - and maybe we try that in 2020. I am sure the plan is to roll these lower schools off as we get better. For now I'll take the wins - we've tried the other and it doesn't work.

I'd personally replace Texas State. UNT is at least a relatively short drive away and they'll add (somewhat) to the attendance. Plus, we have a decade-long series with them which suggests some commitment from both departments.

Rebel10 wrote:Not really. Who did Boise play in there OOC last year? If Marshall does not lose that last game they were in it and they did not have a world beater OOC. You have to give yourself a chance, we are not Alabama.

OOC SOS does in fact matter for the Access bowl slot. Marshall played Miami (OH), Rhode Island, Ohio, and Akron. Boise St. played Ole Miss, UCONN, LA-Lafayette, and BYU.

Marshall was 11-0 and ranked #24 going into that last game against W Kentucky. Boise St. was 10-1 and ranked #23 going into their last game against Utah State. Boise St. went up to #22 after their win; I highly doubt that Marshall would have jumped 3 spots. Sure, one could argue that under these circumstances Boise St. had some recognition bias, but the one thing everyone knew was that Marshall's SOS, including the OOC slate, was abysmal at best.
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:14 pm

I wish I could remember the PF poster's name that dated a girl from Texas State until he saw pictures of her doing the entire offensive line of the TS football team
smupony94

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Hahaha no shxt do tell
RGV Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:24 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:
gostangs wrote:so the only difference in what you described and what we have is replacing UNT with a low P-5? I could see that - and maybe we try that in 2020. I am sure the plan is to roll these lower schools off as we get better. For now I'll take the wins - we've tried the other and it doesn't work.

I'd personally replace Texas State. UNT is at least a relatively short drive away and they'll add (somewhat) to the attendance. Plus, we have a decade-long series with them which suggests some commitment from both departments.

Rebel10 wrote:Not really. Who did Boise play in there OOC last year? If Marshall does not lose that last game they were in it and they did not have a world beater OOC. You have to give yourself a chance, we are not Alabama.

OOC SOS does in fact matter for the Access bowl slot. Marshall played Miami (OH), Rhode Island, Ohio, and Akron. Boise St. played Ole Miss, UCONN, LA-Lafayette, and BYU.

Marshall was 11-0 and ranked #24 going into that last game against W Kentucky. Boise St. was 10-1 and ranked #23 going into their last game against Utah State. Boise St. went up to #22 after their win; I highly doubt that Marshall would have jumped 3 spots. Sure, one could argue that under these circumstances Boise St. had some recognition bias, but the one thing everyone knew was that Marshall's SOS, including the OOC slate, was abysmal at best.

Had Marshall won they would have been in imo. But they were in the conversation even with the weak OOC because they were UNDEFEATED. That is my point. UConn was not good, LA Laf is Sunbelt and BYU lost their starting QB. We need to be at lease in the conversation and 2 loses will take us out of the conversation. And with TCU it will be a better schedule than what Marshall had this year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Football