PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Home and home with Texas State

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Home and home with Texas State

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:30 pm

CargoGunki wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Was USC started by the Methodists and UTAH by the Mormons?

Neither of them have religious ties now. SMU still has ties to the Methodist Church plus the name is Southern Methodist University.

Find me where it says they won't take a religious institution. It's all a load of crap and you know it.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Cargo is hated by his Houston brethren and has been banned there
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 pm

RGV Pony wrote:Well go find it and repost for us

I tried to find it for like 15 minutes. It was probably deleted.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponydawg » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:16 pm

CargoGunki wrote:
ponydawg wrote:Great schedule, y'all are forgetting that in 2019 we will be in the PAC10 so these games make perfect sense.

First off, there is no Pac-10 anymore and the Pac-12 won't take any religious institutions.

Um, it was a joke..........Everyone knows it's the SEC west division that will snag us first.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Its the: SMU should be playing Alabama and Oregon in 2018 vs SMU should be playing UTSA and Incarnate Word.

I'm glad the random people on here aren't in charge of planning our OOC schedule. On one hand people want to stack our schedule with the easiest (and that's relative with our 1-11 record) and on the other we want to prove ourselves with an SEC/Big 12 schedule.

There is nothing wrong with playing Texas State. Until we actually beat someone in OOC our fans shouldn't dictate who and who is not worthy of playing. We should play all the Texas centric games we can as at least it generates interest.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Pony Grey Hair » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:42 am

Who is our fourth OOC team in 2017?(UNT,ARK ST,@TCU,?)
Pony Grey Hair
Scout Team

Postby Tx_Mustang10 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:01 am

I'm not sure why people champion us joining the Pac12 over others. ACC would be way better, imo. The basketball would be ELITE, we could pretty easily get into the upper half of football after some seasons, and geographically, it is no more taxing on the StuAths than the Pacific. Meanwhile, the late night exposure for west coast teams is pretty shotty.

But to stay on topic, I don't mind playing 2 games against TxSt and asserting some dominance against their fans that come from all over the state.
Tx_Mustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 am

CargoGunki wrote:
ponydawg wrote:Great schedule, y'all are forgetting that in 2019 we will be in the PAC10 so these games make perfect sense.

First off, there is no Pac-10 anymore and the Pac-12 won't take any religious institutions.

Houston's academic reputation would be a much more significant barrier to entry to the Pac-12 than SMU's loose religious affiliation with the socially liberal Methodist church.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:21 am

So assuming we re-up the TCU series, which Del Conte has made clear he is in favor of...

@TCU
North Texas
@Arkansas St
Texas State

TCU
@ North Texas
@ Texas State
*Open Slot*

I don't love this and UNT but once Chad gets it rolling they should be easy wins and brings a sizable contingent of fans to Ford
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:24 am

Pony Grey Hair wrote:Who is our fourth OOC team in 2017?(UNT,ARK ST,@TCU,?)

If I had to guess, it will be an FCS school
East Coast Mustang

Postby ghost » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:33 am

If you want to build a sustaining program then they need to change the SMU and Dallas view to THIS IS YOUR TEAM and you support your team, even in off seasons. Then the continuity will be there. To think winning 6-9 games is going to change and all of a sudden everyone is a fan is not realistic. Do things right on and off the field, stay positive, and it will happen. Can't be done you say? Look no further than BU and TCU, the 2 best athletic programs in the Big 12. Smaller private schools with a semblance of moral values, quality education, facilities and fan support is in! and on half the budget.And to be in one of the great areas of the world is just a bonus.
ghost
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:28 am

PonySnob wrote:Hard to see UNT as an "attendance" game:
1989 - 21K -
1990 - 22.7K - away
1992 - 10.2K
2006 - 25.5K - away
2007 - 20.5K
2014 - 22.4K - away

2008 -22,218 (home)

as usual Snob swings and misses. The games against NTSU draw much better than our attendance against even AAC teams. We aren't going to have all of these P5 games to inflate our attendance any more if we lighten our schedule. 25,000 against NTSU under Morris would be a needed pay day because SMU fans have failed to support the program otherwise. Just a fact-a bunch of you season ticket holders can't be bother to attend games against teams you don't care about
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 am

Seriously- find another OOC team we can beat consistently that will draw 20K+ to Ford...you can't.
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:04 pm

I'm ok with this OOC. I would say add another P5 team for that 2020 vacancy and schedule 1P5, TCU, NTSU and another Texas FCS or FBS school. We already play teams from out of state in the conference. The more TX teams we can play and beat, the better. In fact I would love if we could, moving forward, do TCU, rotate Texas P5 (Baylor, Tech etc), NTSU, and rotate Texas FBS/FCS (Utep, utsa, stephen f..)
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:54 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Seriously- find another OOC team we can beat consistently that will draw 20K+ to Ford...you can't.

Louisiana Tech
Arkansas State
UTEP
Kansas
Rice
Highland Park
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football