PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hahahahaha!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hahahahaha!

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:39 am

This one gave me a good laugh. Anyone who thinks we might be worse than last year didn't watch SMU football last year. We may be bad. . .in fact, we are likely to be bad. . .but worse than last year?

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... 2015.html/
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Re: Hahahahaha!

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:53 am

Check out the first comment on the article.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby GreenbeltPony » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:59 am

The article just sounds to me like the typical "5 things that X" clickbait. Plus, we were statistically one of the worst teams ever and yet we still managed 1 win and could have been at 2 or 3. I don't see us being any worse.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:04 am

what's he saying is that when you transition Run N Shoot recruits into a spread offense and a 5-2 Defense recruits to a 4-2-5 Defense it doesn't work at first. Compare the physical size at each position in June Jones' recruiting classes to Chad Morris' classes. Half of June Jones' recruits don't fit and I'm not just talking about Receivers and backs. There is an entirely different philosophy in recruiting Offensive Lineman too and you a creating a 5th DB position and the LBs are expected to focus on new responsibilities. Also switched to 4 man defensive front when SMU rarely has been able to recruit top Defensive Lineman. It wouldn't be the first time a Run N Shoot team struggled to transition to a more traditional offense. Its like fitting a round peg into a square hole. The fantastic news is that Chad got his best recruits at the positions that had to make the biggest adjustments. And a lot of hope is riding on Davis actually being an exception-a QB that was recruited by a round hole coach to fit a round hole but actually fits better into the new square peg
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:14 am

I actually thought our personnel was better suited for a 4-3 last year.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:28 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I actually thought our personnel was better suited for a 4-3 last year.

I thought our offensive line was better suited to playing in an 8th grade YMCA league.

They did the same thing for every B12 team. Plus, he is right. If we don't get better OL and QB play, we are screwed.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:38 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I actually thought our personnel was better suited for a 4-3 last year.

we aren't running a 4-3 either. Look at who we are recruiting-we are recruiting extra DBs for the new Star position which is not the same as an extra OLB-different responsibilities for all our Safeties and ILBs too. We moved a DB up to the Star and I think that may actually work because Shak has been one of the most overrated players at SMU as a Safety and/or CB. He is another guy like Davis that might excel in his new role. Inside Backers need to be physical hole pluggers-and they were awful last year at that-we had to move Joyner back over there just to survive. Yenga has never proved he can handle that role-he's more of a sideline to sideline guy and in the past has been poor at the point of attack
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby ghost » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:38 am

It is a new season with a new attitude. Just like last year the Frogs coming off a 4-8 season and Boykin trying to make it at QB instead of receiver and everyone picking the Dallas Cowboys to only win 6 or 7 games. Almost had a shot at a national championship except for sorry big 12 officials and the Cowboys contended for a super bowl berth and close except for "the call". The days of the prior coach trying to steal wins on the road and playing down to expectations are over.
ghost
All-American

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:13 am

I don't have high expectations for this season. I know its going to be a huge adjustment for the players on both sides of the ball, we don't yet have enough of the type of players we need for the new system, and we likely have major depth problems. But the trainwreck of last season was not just about Ws and Ls. It was about watching a team that was completely outmatched physically, completely unable to execute, and completely beat down mentally and morale-wise.

Regardless of adjustments to a new system or Ws and Ls, if these guys even show hints of the energy and enthusiasm that we've seen from the new coaching staff this season, then it will be miles ahead of last year in my book.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:17 am

Stallion wrote:

we aren't running a 4-3 either. Look at who we are recruiting-we are recruiting extra DBs for the new Star position which is not the same as an extra OLB-different responsibilities for all our Safeties and ILBs too. We moved a DB up to the Star and I think that may actually work because Shak has been one of the most overrated players at SMU as a Safety and/or CB. He is another guy like Davis that might excel in his new role. Inside Backers need to be physical hole pluggers-and they were awful last year at that-we had to move Joyner back over there just to survive. Yenga has never proved he can handle that role-he's more of a sideline to sideline guy and in the past has been poor at the point of attack

Meant to say I thought we were better suited for an alignment with four down linemen. Tough stopping the run with three down lineman and a 275lb "nose tackle" like we tried to do last year.

Like you I think Randolph will be a good fit for the Star position and Jordon Williams was a steal there, too...I think he will contribute early.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:43 am

There is no way SMU is worse than last year.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:59 am

Jesus H. They did a 5 things SMU could be better as well. They did it for every school. SMU is not going to be worse. And if you read it again, you can see EJ emphasizes the "they should get better, but if x doesn't happen, then they will suck..."
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony147 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Grant Carter wrote:Check out the first comment on the article.

Grandma Weeks is not having this
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:03 pm

yeah every one of these lists are done for every school they cover-in case you haven't noticed

Stallion

Next

Return to Football