PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is there any....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is there any....

Postby Peruna1 » Sun Jul 01, 2001 3:23 am

Sorry I put this in here, but I figure it's the only way it would get looked at. Anyways, is there any way that SMU might ever have a baseball team again? Just lookin' for some thoughts. Go PONIES!!
Peruna1

Re: Is there any....

Postby RSine » Sun Jul 01, 2001 3:59 am

Once we have enough women's athletic programs going to comply with Title 9, I think we should be legally able to have a baseball team. When we will be caught up on this task, I have no clue. Maybe we are already to that point. I have heard rumors of possibly a softball team starting. The only question for either team is where they would practice and play. Maybe where the club baseball team practices and plays now. Anyways, my post is only speculation. I would also like to see SMU have a baseball or even a softball team in the near future.
RSine

Re: Is there any....

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Jul 01, 2001 12:53 pm

Don't look for baseball at SMU for a long time, unless it is club. The title 9 issue is what caused us to implement rowing and volleyball. Those will be the newest sports at SMU for a long time. You don't even need to worry about where a baseball team would practice because it ain't happenin. Adding a news sport costs money and with SMU's lousy fan base and support there is little hope of getting any revenue off of it. The last thing SMU needs is to add a new team and try to build it. We are struggling enough with finances and building a football program...basketball is on its way.

Sorry to end this topic, but that is the truth.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football