PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU-Baylor Prediction Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU-Baylor Prediction Thread

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Does this qualify as the panic thread, too?
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:01 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Does this qualify as the panic thread, too?

It is about time.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:52 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Does this qualify as the panic thread, too?

probably should change the title of this thread to SMU-Baylor prediction/panic thread
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Can we change this thread title to "Official Complaints about the PA Announcer, game music, band and concessions" thread or do we need to start another thread for that?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:56 pm

49-14, Baylor.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:07 pm

peruna81 wrote:A couple of things that will show me that there is change in progress:

-We hit them in the mouth on the first play. They are the bullies, we are the chemistry nerds in this scenario. Bullies like easy victims, ones that will 'pencil-in the loss'. This is as much for the coming years as it is for Friday night. Leave a big, fat, nasty bruise on them...that is what they intend to do to us.

-Our defense doesn't just try to 'contain' Baylor's offense. They have way too much talent, and it will be death by a thousand cuts. Blitz, without screaming "All Out!" at the LOS. (although that would be kinda hilarious to do at some point for PB's sake)

-No major injuries...

-No turnovers. Don't make it any easier for Baylor than it is...

-Who Dares, Wins....Dare.

63-31, this year. Make them pull away in the second half. Be within 14 at intermission.

Did I mention that Baylor is still the one team I dislike more than all our former SWC foes?

So how will you determine if we 'hit them in the mouth' on the first play? They don't throw an 80 yd TD bomb/half our OLine or DLine doesn't end up on their backs/they gain less than 5 yds/we gain more than 5/Prescott or Davis doesn't leave game with concussion?
Last edited by footballdad on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:16 pm

I'm afraid it will be ugly. However, I do expect more points than last year. Let's say 63-35.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:18 pm

68-24

New offense puts up some points.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:40 pm

Another prediction: When you Foo's receive your Mustang Club cards you're not going to believe how far you've dropped in rank as they revamped everything on donation money level first priority points second.

Good quality card though beats the hell out of paper
Last edited by One Trick Pony on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:42 pm

My ranking has been determined by the fact my last year season tickets were lost in the mail. My this year football tickets are lost in the mail. And apparently my MC card is lost in the mail. My ranking is apparently "We don't want you around anymore".
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:44 pm

mrydel wrote:My ranking has been determined by the fact my last year season tickets were lost in the mail. My this year football tickets are lost in the mail. And apparently my MC card is lost in the mail. My ranking is apparently "We don't want you around anymore".

You need a hug
One Trick Pony

Postby peruna81 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:58 pm

footballdad wrote:
peruna81 wrote:A couple of things that will show me that there is change in progress:

-We hit them in the mouth on the first play. They are the bullies, we are the chemistry nerds in this scenario. Bullies like easy victims, ones that will 'pencil-in the loss'. This is as much for the coming years as it is for Friday night. Leave a big, fat, nasty bruise on them...that is what they intend to do to us.

-Our defense doesn't just try to 'contain' Baylor's offense. They have way too much talent, and it will be death by a thousand cuts. Blitz, without screaming "All Out!" at the LOS. (although that would be kinda hilarious to do at some point for PB's sake)

-No major injuries...

-No turnovers. Don't make it any easier for Baylor than it is...

-Who Dares, Wins....Dare.

63-31, this year. Make them pull away in the second half. Be within 14 at intermission.

Did I mention that Baylor is still the one team I dislike more than all our former SWC foes?

So how will you determine if we 'hit them in the mouth' on the first play? They don't throw an 80 yd TD bomb/half our OLine or DLine doesn't end up on their backs/they gain less than 5 yds/we gain more than 5/Prescott or Davis doesn't leave game with concussion?

FBD, it is both visible on the field by the play selection, and by the execution of the play selection. You know this. The SMU of the past few years would carefully craft a scripted set of plays, without much deviation, and hope for the best. Baylor will easily win that game, on pure talent alone.

Baylor should win regardless...they have that much talent. The metaphor sticks when you see SMU not play for the conservative 'let's just get out of here alive' mindset that has been the hallmark of our overmatched teams in the past years. It WILL mean taking risks, throwing deep on the first offensive series play, and letting the players and fans know that there will be the attempt to play to win. Quantifiable? Yeah, the Mustangs throw deep on the first play. The defense continues to play high risk/high reward and rely on overmatched corners in man to man in order to bring pressure. Instead of a catchy slogan "All Grit, No Quit", you see them actually daring to win. Too subjective?
Nah, I am an optimist, ever since i witnessed it happen to SMU in the Ron Meyer days. I truly want to see 'different' this year, even as we get curb-stomped by more talented teams.

Baylor will break big plays, and when they do, I will be watching the response as much from our coaching staff as I will from the players.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:53 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Another prediction: When you Foo's receive your Mustang Club cards you're not going to believe how far you've dropped in rank as they revamped everything on donation money level first priority points second.

I did get my tickets but still don't have my card and vouchers and I live about a mile from SMU.

Imma be upset if I don't get my "free" food and beer Friday!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:57 pm

I am glad the Lettermans Club still likes me. I can at least get in the stadium and they have a tent on the Blvd.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:51 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:Another prediction: When you Foo's receive your Mustang Club cards you're not going to believe how far you've dropped in rank as they revamped everything on donation money level first priority points second.

I did get my tickets but still don't have my card and vouchers and I live about a mile from SMU.

Imma be upset if I don't get my "free" food and beer Friday!

just show up at the MC tent with your driver's license they will give you everything you need / want - they have a list with your name on it per MC
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football