PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SID - No pep rally this year?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SID - No pep rally this year?

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:38 pm

SID,

Before our home opener against Texas A&M last year we had the pep rally in front of the Doak statue. I thought it was a pretty good event and actually had a strong turn out. Any reason we aren't doing something similar this year?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Re: SID - No pep rally this year?

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:00 pm

PerunasHoof wrote: I thought it was a pretty good event and actually had a strong turn out.

It was really good. Maybe they're having one just for students.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Perhaps they decided anything they did last year had too much loser stink on it and went a different direction :lol:
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby SMU Pony Mom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Here is the info looks like it's for students and faculty:

September 2, 2015

By Milan Khatami
SMU News

Armstrong Residential Commons will host a pep rally from 6-9 p.m. Thursday in advance of the 2015 SMU football season opener against Baylor University on Friday, Sept. 4. With the addition of new head coach Chad Morris, students, faculty, and alumni are anticipating the season and the energy on campus is evident as the familiar white tents appear on Bishop Boulevard.

Students and faculty alike are welcome to join the celebration that is announced by Armstrong planners as a “fun, unified way to kick off the start of the 2015 season.” The event will take place in the Armstrong Quad and extend into the walkway commonly referred to as “Mustang Mall” with food trucks, music, and more.

For more information, contact Lauren Anne Cove, the Armstrong Residential Community Director. She can be reached through email, lcove@smu.edu, or by phone at (214)-768-5057.

###
SMU Pony Mom
Heisman

Postby SMU SID » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:44 pm

The event you're thinking of from last season was the opening of the new band hall. It was not a "traditional" pep rally.
SMU SID
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:40 am

SMU SID wrote:The event you're thinking of from last season was the opening of the new band hall. It was not a "traditional" pep rally.

I will somewhat challenge that. The band hall dedication was at 7 PM. The Pep Rally was at 7:30 and was called "Friday Night Stampede," as noted in this excerpt from a Straight From the Hart (note: no mention of the band hall dedication):

In addition to the football game on Saturday, it is a big weekend on the Hilltop. On Friday, men’s soccer takes on Oral Roberts at Westcott Field at 5 p.m. and volleyball takes on College of Charleston at Moody Coliseum at 7 p.m. At 7:30 p.m., Friday Night Stampede commences on Mustang Mall, featuring a concert by the Mustang Band and a Pep Rally. The evening’s celebrations will conclude with the ceremonial lighting of the cupolas of Armstrong Commons and the Laura Lee Blanton Building. I hope you will join us.
CalallenStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:43 am

That was a fun even last year. Big turnout too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:32 am

Agreed, I didn't think at the time that it was really connected to the band hall. Anyways, maybe we can bring it back next year then, or at least include the alumni in the email in whatever is being held this year.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:39 am

PerunasHoof wrote:Agreed, I didn't think at the time that it was really connected to the band hall. Anyways, maybe we can bring it back next year then, or at least include the alumni in the email in whatever is being held this year.

I didn't either.

Maybe if the game was Saturday they would have done one Friday night?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:05 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:Agreed, I didn't think at the time that it was really connected to the band hall. Anyways, maybe we can bring it back next year then, or at least include the alumni in the email in whatever is being held this year.

Yeah, may have happened in the same night and in close proximity, but felt like two different events
CalallenStang

Return to Football