PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can we all agree to something before the season starts?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Can we all agree to something before the season starts?

Postby No Quarter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:13 am

Maybe I ought to say (again) at the beginning I live 800 miles away and to get to Dallas to see a game has always been a rare treat and the more so as I age. I never been a member of the Mustang Club or a season ticket holder for any sport. I would not argue if anyone said I don't understand the angst or the anger felt by those whose commitment includes those things.

On the other hand, SMU is my school and the Mustangs my team and Peruna my mascot. Period. End of discussion. I felt that way, embarrassed though I was, when football I ended at SMU. I have felt that way - with different degrees of hope and expectation - since. I wish the university administration had taken a different approach when football restarted. And I have felt frustration and I wish I'd been there the day when BUS threw a shoe.

I don't really think the original question is necessary at this point, or a lot of the comment. I don't think the present coach will quit after two games this year. At this point that is enough for me.

Go Ponies.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:36 pm

leopold wrote:New coach or not, it's probably going to be a long year. Talent level is still comparatively low, kids are learning new systems, OOC schedule isn't easy.

It's always disheartening, even when I've seen this on other teams message boards, to watch the fans flip out and lose it 3 games into the season. Especially when the writing was on the wall going into the year.

Baylor is probably going to whip us. Same with TCU. And a few other schools. So when this (most likely) happens, can we all agree not to lose our composure early, or halfway, or even towards the end of the year?

No crying "I'm done with this team" three games into the season?

No screaming about the administration, or blaming people who longer work here - Shields, Pye, Cavat, or even the devil-himself right now, JJ?

No public disassociation from the university, or typing the inevitable "We've hit rock bottom. This is the WORST team ever"?

No calling Morris an idiot, or talking about his mother, or his IQ, or his parents questionable nuptials before he was conceived?

If you have to turn the TV off, or not go to a game because it might be a slaughter, no biggie. If you don't want to hang a flag, or wear your SMU shirt, no problem. But can we not act like it's the damned death-penalty all over again every time we turn the ball over, or get scored on.

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here. Perhaps we pull an upset, or go 8-4, or shock the conference, and all of this is in vain, but the numbers say we have a looonnnnggg season in front of us. No sense in making it that much more difficult.

Sounds reasonable but good luck getting anyone to agree to all of that. Meltdowns/retirements/self-pity/ad hominem attacks are the lifeblood of Ponyfans.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:34 pm

I thought message existed for fan(atic)s to "vent"
Charleston Pony

Postby skyscraper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:56 pm

I will bump this thread if we open 0-4.
People will be hacked off if we lose to an FCS team - something June didn't even do.
I like the spirit and goodwill people have, though. I think we all know JJ burned this thing to the ground.
skyscraper

Postby BearSchlong » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Baylor fan here...apologies for my shaggybevo username.

I just stopped by to say congratulations on CCM, And I'll be pulling for you guys the REST of the year starting Saturday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BearSchlong

Previous

Return to Football