PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can we all agree to something before the season starts?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Can we all agree to something before the season starts?

Postby leopold » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 pm

New coach or not, it's probably going to be a long year. Talent level is still comparatively low, kids are learning new systems, OOC schedule isn't easy.

It's always disheartening, even when I've seen this on other teams message boards, to watch the fans flip out and lose it 3 games into the season. Especially when the writing was on the wall going into the year.

Baylor is probably going to whip us. Same with TCU. And a few other schools. So when this (most likely) happens, can we all agree not to lose our composure early, or halfway, or even towards the end of the year?

No crying "I'm done with this team" three games into the season?

No screaming about the administration, or blaming people who longer work here - Shields, Pye, Cavat, or even the devil-himself right now, JJ?

No public disassociation from the university, or typing the inevitable "We've hit rock bottom. This is the WORST team ever"?

No calling Morris an idiot, or talking about his mother, or his IQ, or his parents questionable nuptials before he was conceived?

If you have to turn the TV off, or not go to a game because it might be a slaughter, no biggie. If you don't want to hang a flag, or wear your SMU shirt, no problem. But can we not act like it's the damned death-penalty all over again every time we turn the ball over, or get scored on.

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here. Perhaps we pull an upset, or go 8-4, or shock the conference, and all of this is in vain, but the numbers say we have a looonnnnggg season in front of us. No sense in making it that much more difficult.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Can we all agree to something before the season starts?

Postby ojaipony » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 pm

leopold wrote:New coach or not, it's probably going to be a long year. Talent level is still comparatively low, kids are learning new systems, OOC schedule isn't easy.

It's always disheartening, even when I've seen this on other teams message boards, to watch the fans flip out and lose it 3 games into the season. Especially when the writing was on the wall going into the year.

Baylor is probably going to whip us. Same with TCU. And a few other schools. So when this (most likely) happens, can we all agree not to lose our composure early, or halfway, or even towards the end of the year?

No screaming about the administration, or blaming people who longer work here - Shields, Pye, Cavat, or even the devil-himself right now, JJ?

No public disassociation from the university, or typing the inevitable "We've hit rock bottom. This is the WORST team ever"?

No calling Morris an idiot, or talking about his mother, or his IQ, or his parents questionable nuptials before he was conceived?

If you have to turn the TV off, or not go to a game because it might be a slaughter, no biggie. If you don't want to hang a flag, or wear your SMU shirt, no problem. But can we not act like it's the damned death-penalty all over again every time we turn the ball over, or get scored on.

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here. Perhaps we pull an upset, or go 8-4, or shock the conference, and all of this is in vain, but the numbers say we have a looonnnnggg season in front of us. No sense in making it that much more difficult.

Party pooper. Some people find immense joy in misery.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:24 pm

ojaipony wrote:
leopold wrote:New coach or not, it's probably going to be a long year. Talent level is still comparatively low, kids are learning new systems, OOC schedule isn't easy.

Party pooper. Some people find immense joy in misery.

Can we still make fun of footballdad?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:28 pm

I think people will only get hacked off if we lose to UNT. That's the bellweather game of the season and the first game we can get any sense of progress.
No one rationally believes we will beat Baylor or TCU.
I do think a meltdown is allowed if we lose the Centennial Homecoming game to JMU, lol
skyscraper

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:29 pm

I am just looking for improvement this year not wins.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby NastyStang » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Different situation. After last year, most fans are going to be ecstatic with an uptempo and hopefully entertaining offense. Everything he does is suited to lesser athletes, so there should be some success. I'm content already due to his engagement and the social media activity promoting players and team.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:53 pm

Personally, I prefer coming into the season with wholly unrealistic pie-in-the-sky expectations. That way I can express immense shock when the reality of SMU football sets in (as it inevitably does).

In all seriousness though, anyone who expects a lot of wins this season is most likely in for a long year. It's going to be tough. But that doesn't mean that the program isn't heading in the right direction. Even if we go 0-12, I still like where we're headed. It will just take patience.

Other than JMU, nothing should be expected. I wouldn't call UNT a bellweather game by any stretch of the imagination. . .since we will be in exactly game 2 of an entirely new system on both sides of the ball with players that were mostly recruited to play in an entirely different system. I think we have more talent than UNT, but I wouldn't assume anything about winning that game.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby ghost » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:55 pm

The best thing to do to not over-react is to not get on internet boards, don't listen to talk shows who have to fill in their time slot with monotonous talk for 50 minutes of trivia and 10 minutes of actual news.Every university has their die-hard fans and then those that are fans when they win and jump off when they lose. Don't get the wrong impression and depressed just becaues of a few dozen posters...Chad Morris and company have the background to be successful. It's just a matter of time. College football gameday, especially at SMU with the Boulevard, is a wonderful event irregardless of winning or losing. Be a part of it and live a long happy life or be sedentary and stay home on the couch on your way to an early grave.
ghost
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:56 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote: Even if we go 0-12....

:shock:
Bergermeister

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Great post by a guy who's obviously been around here for a while.
ponyboy

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:15 pm

ghost wrote:The best thing to do to not over-react is to not get on internet boards, don't listen to talk shows who have to fill in their time slot with monotonous talk for 50 minutes of trivia and 10 minutes of actual news.Every university has their die-hard fans and then those that are fans when they win and jump off when they lose. Don't get the wrong impression and depressed just becaues of a few dozen posters...Chad Morris and company have the background to be successful. It's just a matter of time. College football gameday, especially at SMU with the Boulevard, is a wonderful event irregardless of winning or losing. Be a part of it and live a long happy life or be sedentary and stay home on the couch on your way to an early grave.

Ghost is right
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:54 pm

yeah - you must be new here.....

you are actually very correct, however there will be some folks who love to roll around in the negative or who have crazy expectations because they are not very bright. Those folks will be in full on panic mode, and I predict they will express it in less than a quarter, not three games.
gostangs

Postby smustatesman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:40 pm

I still reserve the right to go ape sh_t on him (CM) if the uniforms don't have the correct width of stripe on A) the helmet, B) the pants, or C) the jersey; or if their not black enough, or they're too black etc., etc., yadda, yadda yadda.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:52 pm

I can make no promises.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Agree about having the right expectations and not freaking out.

But leopold has nothing to worry about because the main topics on here (win or lose) will continue to be:

a - making fun of footballdad, JasonB, FTHP, Big12Mustang or whoever is the villain of the moment
b - questioning the choice of gameday activities, policies and uniforms
c - questioning the value of ranking systems from Rivals, Scout and 247
d - the latest and greatest mrydel joke
e - posting memes
PonyFan32
Heisman

Next

Return to Football