PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can we all agree to something before the season starts?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Can we all agree to something before the season starts?

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:01 pm

skyscraper wrote:I think people will only get hacked off if we lose to UNT. That's the bellweather game of the season and the first game we can get any sense of progress.
No one rationally believes we will beat Baylor or TCU.
I do think a meltdown is allowed if we lose the Centennial Homecoming game to JMU.

Basically my thoughts. Though I think a loss to UNT is possible, it would seriously bum me out.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:15 pm

If we come out of non-conference play at 0-4 there will be serious reason for concern.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:17 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:Agree about having the right expectations and not freaking out.

But leopold has nothing to worry about because the main topics on here (win or lose) will continue to be:

a - making fun of footballdad, JasonB, FTHP, Big12Mustang or whoever is the villain of the moment
b - questioning the choice of gameday activities, policies and uniforms
c - questioning the value of ranking systems from Rivals, Scout and 247
d - the latest and greatest mrydel joke
e - posting memes

You forgot conference realignment rumors, stadium expansion, cincy and memphis publicly pandering to big 12 rumors, useless stats about what the NFL players are doing...yeah.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby jimhagle » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:17 pm

We have the most upbeat and positive head coach ever here and I am 100% behind him and his staff. This is as good as it gets around here and I am ready to be patient for the process to play out. Let's just pray the administration keeps supporting CM going forward. And maybe just maybe we will scare the hell out of Baylor this Friday.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:If we come out of non-conference play at 0-4 there will be serious reason for concern.

Before I comment SMT, I have to say, I never like it when someone comes on this board and tells others the 'proper' way to post. Condescending & Patronizing, big turn-offs to me. This is a relatively free flowing board, if you don't like what someone says, ignore them, tell them why they are wrong, block them, whatever....but please, as an individual poster, don't be all high and mighty and give us 'YOUR' rules by how to post. BS.

Now to you, SMT. Like your insights. Have to say for me it will not be a serious reason for concern if we go 0-4. Whether we like it or not, REALITY is we lost to 3 of our 4 OOC opponents last year by a combined score of 144-6, with our only 6 points coming at the tail end of the NTSU game. So I for one am not assuming anything with NTSU. As for James Madison, it is 1 game, we were absolutely lousy last year and we are relying on freshmen to help us turn this around. If we lose, I wouldn't be that surprised.

I am more interested in CM keeping the recruiting momentum going. Any wins over 3 will be gravy IMO.
SoCal_Pony

Postby footballdad » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 pm

Nice thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We lose to UNT and/or James Madison and (most) everyone will be whining like little b*tches and true colors will flow.

Students will immediately tune out, and any hopes for decent attendance will be officially over.

Reality is, our schedule is about as easy as it could possibly be, and 4 or 5 wins should be expected. No need to start hedging failure before the season even starts and asking people to refrain from criticism.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby lwjr » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm looking to the second half of the season. By then the players will be comfortable with plays, schemes, assignments etc. that is when I expect to see most of the improvement
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:13 pm

The North Texas game will be the best gauge on where we are imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:14 pm

No reason for gloom and doom until we see how the preseason goes.

Friday is going to be a blast. Go Mustangs!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby peruna81 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:18 pm

Rebel10 wrote:The North Texas game will be the best gauge on where we are imo.

Agreed.

Somewhere in a parallel universe jtstang is cautioning against having expectations, but I do expect a difference by then.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:19 pm

4 wins minimum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Stallion » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Record is secondary this year-simply is not the most important thing in developing the program

Ron Meyer won 2 of his first 11 games and built a program that Won the Highest Percentage of Games over a 5 year period in the Nation

June Jones won 1 out of his first 12 games and went to 4 bowl games

both played a bunch of freshman early and often which allowed them to build the program faster than they would have by playing guys that won't be around when the worm turns

the key is to build confidence and experience in the underclassmen so that we can have some 3-4 year starters in coming years-that's how its done

I'm not even going to predict a season record this year because its not that important
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:31 pm

peruna81 wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:The North Texas game will be the best gauge on where we are imo.

Agreed.

Somewhere in a parallel universe jtstang is cautioning against having expectations, but I do expect a difference by then.

There are other universes where your posts count more than others. And jtstang is known to visit the present universe through a wormhole... lol
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 am

I agree with everyone's comments about this year's record or results of individual games not being all that important...but it is important to improve significantly on last year's performance in order to build recruiting momentum. If we are going to hope for a rapid turnaround of this program, reaching this team's stated goal of 6 wins and a bowl game would be HUGE and I expect would get a lot of Texas H.S. players' attention
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:40 am

If we win any games, it will be a bonus over Phil Bennett's first year and June Jones' first year. JMU beat Virginia Tech. So even that game will not be a cake walk. I'd love for us to go 6-6, but in reality, it may be 0-12. If I see progress on both sides of the ball and a more competitive team, I'll be happy.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football