PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bama vs Wisconsin , only sold 40,000 tickets so far..

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bama vs Wisconsin , only sold 40,000 tickets so far..

Postby smusportspage » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:54 am

RebStang wrote:
TidePony wrote:Bama has bought most of the 40,000 tickets sold according to the Cowboys' front office. SMU evidently travels better than Wisconsin ... Remember the B-ham bowl???

I've talked to a lot of people here in Tuscaloosa that are going to the game... but, I get the feeling that Alabama fans are starting to get sick of "neutral site" games when some of these marquee opponents should played home and home instead of one time at a venue where fans have to pay thousands just to attend.

^This plus the timing, school just started, families probably have already spent there travel disposable income over the summer. If it was held at either home venue it would be a sellout.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:02 am

So why is this game so much more difficult to get to than the Bama games at Jerry World in past years? Not sure I buy the timing thing. I do think that the novelty of the venue is starting to wear off for college games.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyUp2k16 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 am

Wonder how much prices will fall.. maybe i can afford to take the family after all
PonyUp2k16

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:41 am

I used to live in Oregon a long time ago, and still have a lot of friends there. For that reason, I attended both the TCU/OSU game and the subsequent LSU/UO game with Oregon friends who had traveled and stayed with me here in DFW.

Both were expensive propositions, but I remember we had great seats in the lower deck on the 50 for TCU/OSU. That was also a pretty good game. When it came to LSU/UO, however, the tix cost us over $200 apiece (Stubhub) and we sat in the upper deck at eye level with the huge video board. It was absurd. The players looked like ants on the field and I basically watched the entire game on the video board. On top of that, LSU beat the pants off of UO, and it wasn't even a good game. As I sat there basically watching TV at Jerry World with my ears ringing from the drunken psychotic screaming of the LSU fans, I got to thinking. . . did I really just pay $250 to come here and watch TV, when I could have watched this from home with my own TV, my own food, and a much better angle on the action?

That was the last JerryWorld college football game I attended. Maybe if SMU ever plays there. . .otherwise, no thanks. Wisconsin fans are smart.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby RebStang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:45 am

TidePony wrote:Right on Reb! Hope Grad school is going well for you!

Going well. Of course, other than the quantitative economics class I took over the summer, I haven't had anything that was actually graded yet.

Actually, I feel the same way that Alabama fans do about neutral site games. Ole Miss opened last season in Atlanta against Boise State and I really felt like the entire game suffered by playing it in Atlanta on a Thursday night instead of just doing a one off game in Oxford (which I think even the Boise fans would have enjoyed more since college football fans that go to away games tend to actually like to visit other college campuses). Of course, Ole Miss got roped into another neutral site game for next season against Florida State in Orlando. While I think that one will be well attended, I'd much rather play FSU home and home instead of just doing a one off game in a generic stadium... the only plus is that Orlando is a cool city to visit.
RebStang
All-American

Postby PonyKris89 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:04 am

ya Need more yard signs, Arlington
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:28 am

PonyUp2k16 wrote:Wonder how much prices will fall.. maybe i can afford to take the family after all

There were seats for less than 100 bucks 12 rows up last time I looked on seatgeek.
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football