PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

W2W4 - SMU-Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

W2W4 - SMU-Baylor

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:29 am

- When you compare the 247 composite rankings of the projected starters, Baylor wins the comparison 16-5-1. Davis, McCarty, Yenga, Richardson, and Wyatt are higher rated than the Baylor players, while Shaq essentially tied his counterpart.
- SMU has 8 2 star composite rated starters, while Baylor has 4. For both teams, the majority are on defense.
- The highest rated OL recruit for Baylor is their 4 star LT. It will be interesting to watch how Lawler plays against him in his first start.
- Oakman against Weeks is a key battle when we are on offense.
- Defensively, we want to see a team that is well prepared. No blown coverages or tackling mistakes. Baylor is going to score points because of their high level of talent at playmaker positions. But I want to see how well coached we are, that we don't give away points.
- The Baylor secondary can be taken advantage of. The big question of course is if Davis has enough time to get the ball to receivers.
- I expect Baylor to blitz non-stop. Similar to last year.
- Look for a lot of bubble screens. Walker or Malone catching a ball behind Sutton and Gaines. They should be able to block secondary players for Baylor and get yards.
- When Baylor rolls a safety to help, I expect we will have Thomas and Gaines block the bubble on that side and isolate Sutton on the other side and let him go up and get a ball in 1v1 coverage.
- When running the ball, I expect us to try and unbalance the line and take advantage of blitz packages. I would look for two back packages where both Gaines and Line are in the game and can block for a speedier back.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: W2W4 - SMU-Baylor

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:55 am

JasonB wrote:- When you compare the 247 composite rankings of the projected starters, Baylor wins the comparison 16-5-1. Davis, McCarty, Yenga, Richardson, and Wyatt are higher rated than the Baylor players, while Shaq essentially tied his counterpart.
- SMU has 8 2 star composite rated starters, while Baylor has 4. For both teams, the majority are on defense.
- The highest rated OL recruit for Baylor is their 4 star LT. It will be interesting to watch how Lawler plays against him in his first start.
- Defensively, we want to see a team that is well prepared. No blown coverages or tackling mistakes. Baylor is going to score points because of their high level of talent at playmaker positions. But I want to see how well coached we are, that we don't give away points.
- The Baylor secondary can be taken advantage of. The big question of course is if Davis has enough time to get the ball to receivers.
- Look for a lot of bubble screens. Walker or Malone catching a ball behind Sutton and Gaines. They should be able to block secondary players for Baylor and get yards.
- When Baylor rolls a safety to help, I expect we will have Thomas and Gaines block the bubble on that side and isolate Sutton on the other side and let him go up and get a ball in 1v1 coverage.
- When running the ball, I expect us to try and unbalance the line and take advantage of blitz packages. I would look for two back packages where both Gaines and Line are in the game and can block for a speedier back.

- Oakman will drink Weeks' soul. We have to give him some help
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby footballdad » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:22 am

Their entire D Line will reset the line of scrimmage 2 yards deep in our backfield.

Best chance to gain meaningful yardage might be lobs to Sutton or Thomas on the outside if they get 1 on 1 coverage.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:23 am

StallionsModelT wrote:
JasonB wrote:- When you compare the 247 composite rankings of the projected starters, Baylor wins the comparison 16-5-1. Davis, McCarty, Yenga, Richardson, and Wyatt are higher rated than the Baylor players, while Shaq essentially tied his counterpart.

Our best hope for a W is for Oakman to be arrested between now and 6 pm tomorrow.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 am

footballdad wrote:Their entire D Line will reset the line of scrimmage 2 yards deep in our backfield.

Best chance to gain meaningful yardage might be lobs to Sutton or Thomas on the outside if they get 1 on 1 coverage.

You don't know crap of what you're talking about troll
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:37 am

footballdad, even if you think that, just shut up, geez man.
Hoop Fan

Postby Digetydog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:41 am

If we were to trade players to them, how many of our guys would have a shot at starting? I submit the answer is ZERO.

While Sutton is not a slouch, he lacks elite speed. On their team, he might be 4th best as their 2 best WR's are elite WR's who would start on virtually any CFB team in the US.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:44 am

Zero would be correct-there simply is not a single position on the entire field where we have a proven better player-closest would maybe be at a DB/Safety position.
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:44 am

StallionsModelT wrote:

Yep. I doubt the Cowboys would let their OL spend the day against Oakman going 1v1.

Unlike the RnS which is somewhat static, Morris' version of the spread has a lot of movement and misdirection that should help at keeping the Baylor D guessing.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:49 am

Pony Boss wrote:
footballdad wrote:Their entire D Line will reset the line of scrimmage 2 yards deep in our backfield.

and you played golf, or tennis, as your primary sport?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 pm

JasonB wrote:- When you compare the 247 composite rankings of the projected starters

Get off the 247/ESPN kick and look at the offer lists. That's where more of the separation will be as far on the entire 85 man scholarship roster. Depth is the issue in a lot of cases. Also tell me what SMU players would start for Baylor? Is Oakman going against Briggs or Weeks? With that being said I do believe this coaching staff will have SMU better prepared and get the most out of the players we have. It will be a much better game than last year imo.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:14 pm

footballdad wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:

and you played golf, or tennis, as your primary sport?

Please never change.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:18 pm

As much as you and I disagree I will admit what you are saying is not out of the realm of possibility but I hope it does not happen.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ojaipony » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Load up and run right at oakman. We need to slow the pass rush to give Davis time to get the ball down the field. Best chance for that is Quick snaps right after runs right at him.
ojaipony

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:- When you compare the 247 composite rankings of the projected starters

Get off the 247/ESPN kick and look at the offer lists. That's where more of the separation will be as far on the entire 85 man scholarship roster. Depth is the issue in a lot of cases. Also tell me what SMU players would start for Baylor? Is Oakman going against Briggs or Weeks? With that being said I do believe this coaching staff will have SMU better prepared and get the most out of the players we have. It will be a much better game than last year imo.

Never been accused of having a 247 kick before, but I simply used them because they had a composite rating that wasn't only reflective of their site. Just doing something quick.. I thought it would be interesting to see how the comparison of starters recruiting rankings versus on the field performance.

As for starters, I think Gaines in their TE package. Maybe the LBs and Shaq defensively. Davis doesn't fit their scheme, but he would start over Russell in our scheme. Sutton wouldn't start at WR in their scheme but he would start over one of the smaller guys in ours because of more emphasis on the power look.

They absolutely blew us away on both sides of the line last year. That is the part of the game that I am going to pay attention to the most because it will tell a lot about how much we will improve on last year's record. 6-6 :)
JasonB

Next

Return to Football