PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Matt Davis Appreciation Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:50 pm

While MDavis is not the second coming of Justin Willis, I do think he has some tools and ability to make some plays. I would be ecstatic with 20 Pass TDs, 2,700 Yards passing/rushing, and 7 Rushing TDs. If, however, he is the leading rusher on the team, we are doomed.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Matt Davis Appreciation Thread

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Are you saying Davis is not as good as Willis?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:09 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Are you saying Davis is not as good as Willis?

Willis was CUSA Freshman of the Year and put up some pretty impressive numbers. Matt Davis is a complete unknown. I like that he is a fit for this offense but the mishandling of Justin Willis by the tiki fraud was unbelievable.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:11 pm

No, not that Davis is not as good (only time will tell), I just believe they are different players. I think JWill had a better passing arm, but Davis looks like a more natural runner. Decision making edge is to JWill, but Davis has not had time to get comfortable in the CM system.
SmooBoy

Postby leopold » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:16 pm

No question he has talent. He should have the opportunity to do well in this offense, especially after a year on the field and surrounded by familiar faces, even if it's a different system. I'd like to see him take a little more care of the ball, but I'm looking forward to seeing him this year.

Good luck Matt!
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:22 pm

I was a huge Willis fan, and yes, the way he was handled by JJ is one of the many questionable decisions made by our former HC. I agree it is impossible to judge Davis after a few games last season, but I think he has the tools to be a very good QB in the AAC. With a little support from his teammates I believe his ceiling is higher than Willis.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:42 pm

SmooBoy wrote:While MDavis is not the second coming of Justin Willis, I do think he has some tools and ability to make some plays. I would be ecstatic with 20 Pass TDs, 2,700 Yards passing/rushing, and 7 Rushing TDs. If, however, he is the leading rusher on the team, we are doomed.

If Davis stays healthy and starts every game for us this year, his numbers will exceed those and you might just lose your mind. Just look back at what Tulsa did when Morris was there and Davis may prove to be a very athletic QB
Charleston Pony

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:51 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SmooBoy wrote:While MDavis is not the second coming of Justin Willis, I do think he has some tools and ability to make some plays. I would be ecstatic with 20 Pass TDs, 2,700 Yards passing/rushing, and 7 Rushing TDs. If, however, he is the leading rusher on the team, we are doomed.

If Davis stays healthy and starts every game for us this year, his numbers will exceed those and you might just lose your mind. Just look back at what Tulsa did when Morris was there and Davis may prove to be a very athletic QB

Which is why it's so important he get out of tomorrow night un-injured. Good health and some confidence can go a long way.
SmooBoy

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Davis will put up numbers this year that will blow away any numbers put up by Willis (barring injury). Close to 3500 total yards from scrimmage.
JasonB

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:05 pm

JasonB wrote:Davis will put up numbers this year that will blow away any numbers put up by Willis (barring injury). Close to 3500 total yards from scrimmage.

Time capsule this for the end of the year.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby lwjr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Trevon Boykin went from goat to Heisman Trophy candidate in one year. All it took was a change to a new OC.
Not saying Davis will be a Heisman candidate but fitting a QB's skills to the correct style of offense does make a difference. Didn't Morris try to recruit Davis while at Clemson?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby sbsmith » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:14 pm

JasonB wrote:Davis will put up numbers this year that will blow away any numbers put up by Willis (barring injury). Close to 3500 total yards from scrimmage.

3,500 yards would hardly "blow away" the 3,643 yards Willis put up in 2007.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:17 pm

sbsmith wrote:

3,500 yards would hardly "blow away" the 3,643 yards Willis put up in 2007.

He must not have been adjusting for inflation.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 pm

I said close to, but didn't say over or under ;).

I'm one of the few on here who said from the moment CM was hired that Matt Davis would fit the offense like a glove. Most of you thought Hicks would challenge for the starting spot but I never thought it would be close. Matt is a fantastic leader and will really excel in an offense that fits his skill set. Barring injury I think he is going to have a phenomenal year.
JasonB

Postby sbsmith » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:25 pm

JasonB wrote:I said close to, but didn't say over or under ;).

I'm one of the few on here who said from the moment CM was hired that Matt Davis would fit the offense like a glove. Most of you thought Hicks would challenge for the starting spot but I never thought it would be close. Matt is a fantastic leader and will really excel in an offense that fits his skill set. Barring injury I think he is going to have a phenomenal year.

Congrats, you were bound to get something right one of these days :mrgreen:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Next

Return to Football