PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Shawn Oakman suspended

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Shawn Oakman suspended

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:56 am

RepublicanPNY wrote:All of those underwhelming numbers from Davis happened under June Jones. You will see a different player under Morris.

Actually, they happened under Tom Mason
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:58 am

Stallion wrote:well that's a start

22 more suspensions and we might out man them?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:01 am

Well that's what I call a good start. It may be that their replacements are as good or even better. However, hurts their depth as well. Can someone secretly deliver a keg to their hotel?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby that's great raplh » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:03 am

CalallenStang wrote:
RepublicanPNY wrote:All of those underwhelming numbers from Davis happened under June Jones. You will see a different player under Morris.

Actually, they happened under Tom Mason

But the fault lies with June

muffie benson perella

169 black horseshoes - Green Party Activist - I am the Greetest!

Now selling Hope at a price slightly higher than free...
that's great raplh

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:33 am

Stallion wrote:He hasn't thrown for over 48.1 passing percentage in any of his final 3 starts. He threw 3 TD passes all year. Everybody knows he's an unbelievable athlete and outstanding runner-what he has never proven is that he knows what the [deleted] he is doing in the passing game. One of the least prepared QBs in SMU History. Yeah-watch him run right-watch him run left but can he play QB? His passing percentage is about 45% over the last 3 games in a high percentage passing offense

Asking him to throw to receivers in an offense where you 1) are forced to allow long, deep routes to develop before throwing short (with a bad offensive line) and 2) aren't completely sure where the receivers are going to run because they adjust routes based on the defensive look is much, MUCH different than throwing bubble screens and the simplified routes in this offense.

Jones was asking his QBs and WRs to understand how to read a defense and run an NFL route tree. That I why our receivers were NFL ready. But it is also why underclassmen never played.

How many duel threat QBs do we see blow things off the charts in college and then they struggle in the pro offensive schemes because they can't read defenses? Calling him "unprepared" is a knock on him personally, implying that he didn't try hard enough or study hard enough. Matt is a really smart guy and a great leader who puts everything he has into the team. Not being able to read defenses in a pro-style offense puts him in the same category as about 95% of the college QBs out there. It is like saying that Tebow or RGIII can't grasp a pro offense because they don't try hard enough.

Matt Davis is now in a college offense that will take advantage of his skill set. He is going to be fantastic as long as he doesn't "try to do too much" (as Coach Morris said in an interview last week).
JasonB

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:36 am

There is no way around it. Matt Davis was one of the worst starting QB's in the nation last year. I'm willing to throw that out since he transferred in late, ran an offense that didn't emphasize his strengths, and his coach quit. That said, when he was under any kind of pressure at all last year he made bad decisions or just took off and ran. I have faith that this system will play to his strengths, but anyone expecting Tahj Boyd or DeShawn Watson needs to tap the brakes.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Shawn Oakman suspended

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:39 am

Stallion wrote:He hasn't thrown for over 48.1 passing percentage in any of his final 3 starts. He threw 3 TD passes all year. Everybody knows he's an unbelievable athlete and outstanding runner-what he has never proven is that he knows what the [deleted] he is doing in the passing game. One of the least prepared QBs in SMU History. Yeah-watch him run right-watch him run left but can he play QB? His passing percentage is about 45% over the last 3 games in a high percentage passing offense
you are really going to take his stats seriously last year in that sh!it show we had?!? He has had like 5 OCs
GiddyUp

Postby geno » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:42 am

Palmskee wrote:Unreal. Nice little break for us but I hope his suspension is for something minor (ie didn't hurt someone else)

In another thread someone said our best shot at winning was Oakman getting arrested between now and 6pm tomorrow.

You know the suspension wasn't because of a rape accusation. That doesn't get you suspended at Baylor. He probably parked his car in a spot reserved for coaches. And you can be sure he won't be suspended when BU plays a Big-12 team. No offense too great for that.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:46 am

Oakman is a 6-9 280 monster and Brian Nance is only 6-3 245. That is big break for the offensive line to see a player that was not as good as Oakman coming in the game.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby PonyTime » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:59 am

Palmskee wrote:Unreal. Nice little break for us but I hope his suspension is for something minor (ie didn't hurt someone else)

In another thread someone said our best shot at winning was Oakman getting arrested between now and 6pm tomorrow.

That was me. And don't count out the fact that he might have been arrested and Baylor is just covering it up for the time being. This is a huge plus. And now I think that we have a chance. A slight chance, but a chance. Perhaps we can make it a game through two quarters...

BTW - this is the guy that was in our backfield at the snap of the ball all game long last year in Waco. Our offense had no chance in that game.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:09 am

I heard Judge Richard Berman will review the suspension at 2pm today. It's likely he will find that Briles went too far in the punishment of Oakman and will allow him to play tonight. At least that's the rumor I'm hearing.....
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby fifty » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:13 am

Please tell me you're joking. I am not that sharp.
fifty
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:16 am

And the guy who is replacing Oakman, Nance, came to Baylor as a linebacker. So SMU is now going against a converted linebacker playing DE only weighing 245. That should bode well for the SMU OL. Will Sells or Singleton replace Stewart?
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:19 am

fifty wrote:Please tell me you're joking. I am not that sharp.

Just a lil Deflategate humor.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Cort » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:35 am

dude doesn't fit in his pads
Cort
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football