PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bartel

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bartel

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Jul 05, 2001 12:00 pm

Bartel was drafted by the Reds and he will still play FB at SMU. This means that we have an extra scholarship to give out. That is good news and I hope Bartel is successful at baseball...after 4-5 great years at SMU!

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Bartel

Postby Grider » Thu Jul 05, 2001 3:29 pm

I don't know that Bartel playing baseball is a good thing for us at all. It kinda spooks me. We do take on the risk of us loosing this guy before he's in D-I form, not to mention the delay of him reaching his QB potential altogether.

As for the extra scholarship, is that really going to do us much good this late? Are there still some decent high school guys out there who don't know where they're going, or do we look to a JUCO?

I guess this post is more of a question than a statement.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Recruiting Guru » Mon Jul 09, 2001 12:06 pm

One of the comments about Bartel during his recruiting was a question about his attitude. I don't know him personally, so I can't say for sure. But either way, being around professional coaching and professional players can only benefit him. And it's good to see he's grown to 6-5, and I like the idea of him getting up to 225 pounds. If he fills out that much, he'll be an impressive looking QB prospect. With his mobility, and the arm strength to get a fastball into the low 90s, we could have a stud on our hands. Hope we can keep him the full 5 years.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:27 pm

I have seen Bartel, and even at 225 - he appears quite lanky. There is another quarterback coming in, Nixon - that they say is another Flanigan. If he is, the future can only be brighter for SMU.

SMU MUSTANGS : GO HARD OR GO HOME.

Return to Football