PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some thoughtson the game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Some thoughtson the game

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 am

I think we might regret burning McNew's redshirt imo. But time will tell. This was not the first time the OL was beaten. JMU had 5 sacks. Bottom line is we had a bunch of hard working FCS level talent with few FBS level player sprinkled in. Just because we heard this player was good in Spring practice or this group improved a lot did not mean they were going to be very good against other FBS teams. Remember, they were practicing against players that were not that high in talent level. Expectations were too high by some creating a false sense of the team. The coaches asked in private last Spring to temper expectations and some did not and influenced other fans and now disappointment has set it. The old June Jones just wait until we get into conference play attitude does not work when you don't have good conference talent. The euphoria has worn off and the talent in starting to show as some posted. Not have depth is also hurting the team. ECU had 2 starting O linemen out and 5 starters on defense out according tot he announcers and still pushed us around.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks JasonB for the evaluation.
ponyscott

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:39 am

GiddyUp wrote:I am just surprised that it doesnt seem like we made any def adjustments. Yes our talent is not good but any team can just run right up the middle on almost any play. I would go for it on 4th and less than 5 every time.

What surprises me is that I would bet we have stopped teams that have gone for it on 4th down the far majority of the time. It is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd that we seem to have problems.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:27 pm

We didn't even get JMU into a 3rd down situation in game winning drive
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Planter's Punch » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:49 pm

PonySnob wrote:Wonder if Morris thought it would be this bad?

He saw last season
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby 78pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:07 pm

At some point in time, if you're getting scorched, you have to roll the dice and decide to take something away from the other guys.
78pony
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:26 pm

You have a good birds eye view of what's going on
One Trick Pony

Postby GiddyUp » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:47 pm

mrydel wrote:
GiddyUp wrote:I am just surprised that it doesnt seem like we made any def adjustments. Yes our talent is not good but any team can just run right up the middle on almost any play. I would go for it on 4th and less than 5 every time.

What surprises me is that I would bet we have stopped teams that have gone for it on 4th down the far majority of the time. It is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd that we seem to have problems.

Yes, they hardly need 4th downs to begin with. I wonder how many times our opponents have punted. Maybe only a handful so far.
GiddyUp

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:56 pm

As far as redshirting the punter next year (and yes, I know it's just the kicking game), I think the concern is that he is probably our FG kicker the next several years. So getting him for 4 would have been nice.

McNew looked out of his element a bit. Smaller than I expected. Maybe he will get a medical redshirt, because he got his ankles broken on that one cutback (sorry, couldn't resist that one).
JasonB

Previous

Return to Football