PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What happened to our Fans? Where were the Students?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: What happened to our Fans? Where were the Students?

Postby couch 'em » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:25 pm

JoeKidd wrote:I have a hard time understanding why if you are an SMU student, alum or lettermen that is a football fan and you are in Dallas with no other truly important obligations (i.e. work or kid's activity commitments) not to come out and enjoy your alma mater's football game on a beautiful facility with a much improved game presentation, including the sale of alcohol.l.

Enjoy your alma mater's football game. . . . Did you honestly enjoy that game?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:05 pm

I enjoyed the 1st half and was really surprised when we went up 23-7. That was fun
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:09 pm

I get frustrated sometimes, well often, but I still always enjoy watching SMU play.

I have never understood the attitude of only caring or watching your team when they are winning.

That being said, I am not satisfied with losing or mediocrity.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mavsrage311 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:24 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
SMU Football Blog wrote:I thought about asking the 2 alumni band members walking to their cars as I was walking to the boulevard ON MY WAY TO THE GAME.

WTF?

I left 1 minute into the 4th quarter. My kid was tired and bored. I was tired of being the only person in my section that appeared to want my team to win the game.

I am sick of being the only person that attempts to make noise on my row, if not my entire section.

I am also sick of the general negativity of seemingly everybody around me.

I appreciate everybody that did come to the game, but at the same time, why does nobody there want to act like they are at a football game?

SFB, shoot me a note next year and we can find seats in the same section. At least there would be two yelling [deleted].

More than one person has suggested creating a section just for "rowdy fans." I think you two would be the first two to join that section, and I'd be there too. I think seeing a section like that would slowly (hopefully) rub off on the sections around it. If nothing else, it would be shown on tv more and help us look legit there too. Rick Hart has to periodically read these boards. Maybe he will pick up on the hint. :) He's picked up on other things mentioned on here before.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:57 pm

I am curious. How many on on this board attended the final regular season SMU game in the Cotton Bowl? 1999 against Cal State Northridge. SMU won. It was not hard to find a seat under cover that day.

That might have been the low point of SMU football attendance at any time after maybe 1920.

Is that pertinent to anything very much? Not really, but there have been worse times for the program and maybe we are going in a different direction now.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:19 pm

I really don't blame anyone for not attending. The last two games were incredibly depressing. Not as depressing as last season, but damn...

We have to acknowledge that most people affiliated with SMU just don't care about the athletic department enough to consistently attend games that will just leave them depressed/frustrated. I starting to think I'm a masochist at this point.

And, for what it's worth, Chad Morris seems to agree that until the product on the field improves, it's hard to blame fans for not showing up. I think he's doing things right to improve the product.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby fifty » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I am a pretty dedicated fan but our defense is so bad right now that it seems like we have no chance. Arguably worse than last year. At least our offense is improved and we might have a chance of scoring 40+ and catching another W.
fifty
Heisman

Postby NewAgeMustange » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:57 pm

I was at work but I would have been there if I wasnt. I actually had the game on and was able to catch the first play and then the 4th quarter. Honestly I think people are under estimating the effect ACL has on the student population. As a YA I could always tell you when large concerts were going on. The campus clears and eveyone is talking about it. Also I believe the point system for gettong into the MOB this year required students to stay till the end of the game rather than last year which I was at the beginning. I also have heard that Saturdays game may not have counted towards mob points which is why students may have left ealier compared to later. .

but as someone who had no prior connections I think the team looks great compared to past products. I've now seen 3 coaches + 1 interim, my expectations are more realistic but I have hope and belief that the stangs will turn the program around. LB didn't do it in 1 year, lets see what happens. (Although I need more than 1 win)

1-11
1-11
8-5
7-7
8-5
7-6
5-7
1-11
Pending.
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby SMUer » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:15 pm

SMU attendance is now completely dependent on the product on the field, and is in competition for other forms of college/big city entertainment. If you want to fix this problem you either wait (and wait) for the product to get sufficiently better, or you find a way to make attendance independent of the product and a form of entertainment in and of itself.

US Soccer and the MLS has figured out how to do this; they create preferred seating sections and pricing for organized fan groups (Supporters), give them special discounts on gear, a separate entrance so they can bring in banners and flags and encourage these groups to develop traditions and incorporate them into the game programming.

Get the "young alumni" section out of the end zone, put them next to the students so they can be rowdy without dirty looks by the blue hairs or the indignity of sneaking into the student section. Kick the f-ing opponent band out of that corner and start a special section for the "rowdiest" allowing them (approved, or even provided) banners and flags. Start two, one on each side so they can cross-stadium cheers at each other. Give them spotlight time, just like the Band to start cheers and organize team spirit.

But, alas...SMU doesn't want to front any of the resources or offer special ticketing help for this.
SMUer

Postby PerunasHoof » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:25 pm

footballdad wrote:
Stallion wrote:I talk about every team in Texas especially teams on our schedule because I actually love college football. What do you want to know?

Why is Tuaua back playing already? He actually did what he was accused of, the victim just didn't follow thru with the charges because of the distractions his senior year.

Gary all about shoring up that leaky D, not about doing the right thing......correct?

Footballdad, can you please stop hiding behind your keyboard?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:22 am

SMUer wrote:SMU attendance is now completely dependent on the product on the field, and is in competition for other forms of college/big city entertainment. If you want to fix this problem you either wait (and wait) for the product to get sufficiently better, or you find a way to make attendance independent of the product and a form of entertainment in and of itself.

US Soccer and the MLS has figured out how to do this; they create preferred seating sections and pricing for organized fan groups (Supporters), give them special discounts on gear, a separate entrance so they can bring in banners and flags and encourage these groups to develop traditions and incorporate them into the game programming.

Get the "young alumni" section out of the end zone, put them next to the students so they can be rowdy without dirty looks by the blue hairs or the indignity of sneaking into the student section. Kick the f-ing opponent band out of that corner and start a special section for the "rowdiest" allowing them (approved, or even provided) banners and flags. Start two, one on each side so they can cross-stadium cheers at each other. Give them spotlight time, just like the Band to start cheers and organize team spirit.

But, alas...SMU doesn't want to front any of the resources or offer special ticketing help for this.

Didn't we/you try this already w R&B army?
RGV Pony

Postby whitwiki » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 am

Yeah but scarves were kinda fruity
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:20 am

RGV Pony wrote:
SMUer wrote:SMU attendance is now completely dependent on the product on the field, and is in competition for other forms of college/big city entertainment. If you want to fix this problem you either wait (and wait) for the product to get sufficiently better, or you find a way to make attendance independent of the product and a form of entertainment in and of itself.

Didn't we/you try this already w R&B army?

It was actually not a bad idea. Some may not have agreed with the style points, but it was one of the actually good and productive ideas to come off of a message board.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:26 am

I agree. I liked the idea and thought the section was active and visible.
RGV Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:22 am

whitwiki wrote:Yeah but scarves were kinda fruity

Did nothing, but enhance the SMU stereotype.
ALEX LIFESON

PreviousNext

Return to Football