PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Let's change our defensive strategy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Let's change our defensive strategy

Postby Donnell88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm tired watching other teams running the ball down our throats. Let's put eight men in the box and concentrate on trying to stop our opponent's running game.

And yes, this means we have to employ man-to-man coverage for the passing game but if they
beat up on our secondary, so be it. I'd rather see that than yielding over 300 yards in rushing.
Also, if they have to rely on the pass, maybe their quarterback will miss open receivers, they get a holding penalty or we make an interception. It would be nice to see us bring some heat on the opposition's quarterback.
Donnell88
All-American

Re: Let's change our defensive strategy

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Yes the "doormat" d isn't cutting it!
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:39 pm

No let's don't. We are trying to develop players to fit into a new defensive scheme-let's do that. As hard as it may be its time to give up on your little bowl dream. Stick to the long term rebuilding plan. We've recruited for that plan and its not going to change. Its a good plan-we just don't have enough players to implement it. 2015 is not the focus-think 2017.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Agree. Look at how many players are being put on the field. Morris is still evaluating talent to see who is best where. I think we saw an improvement at Star yesterday but there could still be someone better on the team now or hopefully even better in upcoming classes.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:50 pm

I want to give it another season before I conclude it's an X's and O's issue...I still think it's Jimmy's and Joe's issue.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:52 pm

You don't think slowing down opposing offenses and putting yourself in a chance to get more wins on 2015 will help for 2017? Use what you have, don't try to keep putting the square peg in the hole, that's what June did.

In fact that's exactly what all of you complained about June doing: expecting players to be able to make the right plays, not calling the right plays for the players. You'd rather trot out there and give up 300 rushing yards a game just on principLE of learning the defense? He said put more guys in the box, not change the formations and terminology
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Did you notice how quickly Baylor scored against our pass defense? You really want to rely on that as a method to stop a team?
mrydel

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:10 pm

mrydel wrote:Did you notice how quickly Baylor scored against our pass defense? You really want to rely on that as a method to stop a team?

No remaining teams on the schedule have near the quality and depth at wr that baylor has. While not even, the playing field is much closer to being level in that regard.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Apparently you have not witnessed our pass coverage. Watch Thursday night.
mrydel

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:15 pm

How about we let the coaches install their scheme and create the framework for future success? They are currently running a new scheme with a young group that lacks both experience and skill...pretty deadly combination. After this season, when the new class comes in with more upside and the recruiting starts to take effect, they will be learning the defense alongside experienced players who have played in it.

This is a long term fix to turn around an exceptionally troubled program. Coaching for instant shirt-term success often results in mediocre results in the short term and is detrimental to long term growth to the system and program.

What we are seeing is the result of a program led by a coach who believed in short term fixes, and in the process, destroyed the prospects for long term program success. Let HCCM et al do their job and if we are not markedly better in 3 seasons, you can feel free to call for all the change you want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Surprise stat of the week

Baylor the most prolific passing offense in the Country for years is now 3rd Nationally in Rushing
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:18 pm

It's moot point...we are arguing over what is going to make the defense suck a little less, not necessarily be better. It just seems that any qb with a sub 4.8 40 can run up the middle untouched at his leisure. Either correct the assignments and getting off blocks inside or give the front 7 some help.

It's better to give them the pass than the pass and the run.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Both ways cost you 7 points. Better to recruit, learn and strive to stop both the run and the pass.
mrydel

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:39 pm

mrydel wrote:Both ways cost you 7 points. Better to recruit, learn and strive to stop both the run and the pass.

And mrydel comes in with the win. Of course but until the recruits get here the only thing we can hope is that SOMETHING will get better on defense. But you are correct.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:42 pm

I just do not see it happening this year and limited improvement next year. Hopefully by 2017 we will have shored up enough to be competitive with everyone we play. I just hope I can live that long.
mrydel

Next

Return to Football