PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Let's change our defensive strategy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Let's change our defensive strategy

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Donnell88 wrote:I'm tired watching other teams running the ball down our throats. Let's put eight men in the box and concentrate on trying to stop our opponent's running game.

And yes, this means we have to employ man-to-man coverage for the passing game but if they
beat up on our secondary, so be it. I'd rather see that than yielding over 300 yards in rushing.
Also, if they have to rely on the pass, maybe their quarterback will miss open receivers, they get a holding penalty or we make an interception. It would be nice to see us bring some heat on the opposition's quarterback.

Not a bad idea, did you catch any of the LSU game last night? Even poor little EMU (the worst rushing D in the country statistically) did exactly that, and gave LSU a respectable 44-22 game in Death Valley last night. At least avoided a public humiliation and even earned some praise from announcers. Got a strip sack of the QB inside the LSU ten for one of their scores.

Malone and a lot of posters here would apparently prefer we sit in base D and get humiliated. At least take SOMETHING away. Always easier to start with the opposing run game.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby WildBillPony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Sue June Jones
WildBillPony
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Always wondered what his real first name was.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Don't be a Sheldon :lol:
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby whitwiki » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Stallion wrote:Surprise stat of the week

Baylor the most prolific passing offense in the Country for years is now 3rd Nationally in Rushing

Baylor has always run the ball a lot
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:01 pm

footballdad wrote:
Donnell88 wrote:I'm tired watching other teams running the ball down our throats. Let's put eight men in the box and concentrate on trying to stop our opponent's running game.

And yes, this means we have to employ man-to-man coverage for the passing game but if they
beat up on our secondary, so be it. I'd rather see that than yielding over 300 yards in rushing.
Also, if they have to rely on the pass, maybe their quarterback will miss open receivers, they get a holding penalty or we make an interception. It would be nice to see us bring some heat on the opposition's quarterback.

Not a bad idea, did you catch any of the LSU game last night? Even poor little EMU (the worst rushing D in the country statistically) did exactly that, and gave LSU a respectable 44-22 game in Death Valley last night. At least avoided a public humiliation and even earned some praise from announcers. Got a strip sack of the QB inside the LSU ten for one of their scores.

Malone and a lot of posters here would apparently prefer we sit in base D and get humiliated. At least take SOMETHING away. Always easier to start with the opposing run game.

We avoided public humiliation against our games against top 5 teams as well.

Honestly, the scheme doesn't really matter if we don't get better plays out of the players on the field. If the team can't run assignment football, we are going to get killed against any zone read or option attack. Ward is going to really hurt us against Houston.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 am

I would have to agree with Jason. If you don't have better players on the field it does not make a difference what schemes you run. Just have to recruit, recruit, recruit.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby peruna81 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:31 am

mrydel wrote:I just do not see it happening this year and limited improvement next year. Hopefully by 2017 we will have shored up enough to be competitive with everyone we play. I just hope I can live that long.

Oh no you don't...no checking out for the dirt nap until we get this right. Live on, sir!
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:34 am

Waiting until we get it right could just be the answer to eternal life on earth.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 am

Nah, that one is already paid for...besides, I have it on good authority that in heaven everyone's a winner.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:19 am

mrydel wrote:Agree. Look at how many players are being put on the field.

Good point. I have been impressed with how many young guys are seeing action on the field. Very active rotation.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:01 pm

on the bright side...I think I read somewhere that UH is ranked #125 against the pass. Maybe Courtland can break Rashaun Woods single game TD record
RGV Pony

Postby sacoog06 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:37 pm

RGV Pony wrote:on the bright side...I think I read somewhere that UH is ranked #125 against the pass. Maybe Courtland can break Rashaun Woods single game TD record

While that's true, UH has only given up 4 passing TD's which is top 25. Our D also held Tulsa to one of their lowest yardage totals to date, and they rolled up 600+ on OU. The strength of our secondary is creating turnovers, and they gave up some big plays early in the season that were mistakes that have been fixed. William Jackson might be the first corner taken in the draft this year. Our D is underrated, but aren't Alabama, that's for sure. We are 12th in turnovers gained and 3rd in turnover margin. We are also 13th in Team Sacks.
sacoog06

Postby SMUer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:44 pm

RGV Pony wrote:on the bright side...I think I read somewhere that UH is ranked #125 against the pass. Maybe Courtland can break Rashaun Woods single game TD record

Watching that game was tortuous...OMG talk about inept pass coverage...we are near but not quite full circle there.
SMUer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Davis has to actually throw the ball to him for that to happen.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football