PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We Picked a Bad Year to Rebuild Defense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We Picked a Bad Year to Rebuild Defense

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:15 pm

I know this is going to be a long term rebuild, but are there any JUCOs on the radar to quickly plug into the defense next year?
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Nope not that I can tell. The plan is not about plugging leaks next year -Its about building from the bottom up. 100% agree. You plug holes when you are close to your goals. There are about 9-10 high school defenders who almost sure to get every opportunity to play next year-maybe more. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 12-13 true and redshirt freshman next year that contribute on Defense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Stallion wrote:Nope not that I can tell. The plan is not about plugging leaks next year -Its about building from the bottom up. 100% agree. You plug holes when you are close to your goals. There are about 9-10 high school defenders who almost sure to get every opportunity to play next year-maybe more. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 12-13 true and redshirt freshman next year that contribute on Defense

I know DBs will be greatly upgraded even if/when redshirts have to be burned next year, but it will still be a learning process. I also noticed the Scott brothers are listed as DL, they have to be DE or LB right?
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:51 pm

they are going to be DEs but were too skinny-I agree 100% in redshirting them. Those are 2 of the redshirts I expect to contribute next year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:29 pm

Rebel10 wrote:So the previous coaching staff did not put him on the field enough durinf games or in practice to even work with him. That's not good.

Please refer to the teddy bear comment above and see if you can infer what I am alluding to...
JasonB

Postby Junior » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:11 pm

I don't think we are rebuilding so much as starting over from scratch.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:46 pm

I think all the DB recruits could have a chance to play right away - same for the LBs except for possibly Dae Williams who will be switching from RB. Badejo seems like a RS candidate, but I think the other DLs could play early as well. Good to get them reps/experience early
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Previous

Return to Football