PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Defensive Coordinator Van Malone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Defensive Coordinator Van Malone

Postby PonyUp_62 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:08 pm

Just curious as to other peoples thoughts on our Defensive Coordinator Van Malone. Right now we have one of the top 10 worse defenses, while we have a top 50 offense. I have seen our offense from basically the same team make tremendous improvements under coach Morris, but our defensive almost seems worse. I personally believe Malone needs to go after this season to hire someone who can actually be a Defensive Coordinator.
PonyUp_62
Recruit

Re: Defensive Coordinator Van Malone

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:22 pm

PonyUp_62 wrote:Just curious as to other peoples thoughts on our Defensive Coordinator Van Malone. Right now we have one of the top 10 worse defenses, while we have a top 50 offense. I have seen our offense from basically the same team make tremendous improvements under coach Morris, but our defensive almost seems worse. I personally believe Malone needs to go after this season to hire someone who can actually be a Defensive Coordinator.

Don't worry, it'll happen. After the embarrassments mount, Morris will be forced to make a change, IF he wants his turnaround plan to stay on track.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:09 pm

I think footballdad now has dual personalities and is talking to himself. Surely Pontup62 could have read any of the other 15 threads on this.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:40 pm

I don't hear nothing
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU 86 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:48 pm

footballdad wrote:
PonyUp_62 wrote:Just curious as to other peoples thoughts on our Defensive Coordinator Van Malone. Right now we have one of the top 10 worse defenses, while we have a top 50 offense. I have seen our offense from basically the same team make tremendous improvements under coach Morris, but our defensive almost seems worse. I personally believe Malone needs to go after this season to hire someone who can actually be a Defensive Coordinator.

Don't worry, it'll happen. After the embarrassments mount, Morris will be forced to make a change, IF he wants his turnaround plan to stay on track.

Everyone had the same concerns about Mason the first year here then he got players like JG and Taylor Reed and a few others then all of a sudden he was not that bad of a DC. I think if Malone can get some impact players on defense the results would be similiar.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:18 pm

mrydel wrote:I think footballdad now has dual personalities and is talking to himself. Surely Pontup62 could have read any of the other 15 threads on this.

Nope, he just brought up a great point, that others would rather excuse, than acknowledge as a possible bad hire. Zero DC experience and a defense that looks worse than last year are a couple of hints.

If I said the earth was round, you'd swear it was flat. :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:18 pm

I can't read what you say bro
One Trick Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:22 pm

footballdad wrote:
mrydel wrote:I think footballdad now has dual personalities and is talking to himself. Surely Pontup62 could have read any of the other 15 threads on this.

Nope, he just brought up a great point, that others would rather excuse, than acknowledge as a possible bad hire. Zero DC experience and a defense that looks worse than last year are a couple of hints.

If I said the earth was round, you'd swear it was flat. :lol:

here ya go
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:26 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:I can't read what you say bro

Sure reply alot for having blocked me :?:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:32 pm

I want to click it but I didn't lmao
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Football Blog » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:34 pm

Malone is doing a fine job with what he has. And so we are clear, he has next to nothing to work with. If you were paying attention, you saw one of his most experience and best players ejected in the first quarter.

I have said this several times: You can scheme offense all you want and sometimes you might be successful. However, defense is about athletes. Where are the athletes on defense? They are not there. Add to that, we changed schemes so that we can match up with the offenses we will face long term. There is not a team on our schedule that if committed to running it right up the gut of the defense will we be able to stop.

We gave up 49 points to a team that put up 35 on Frank Beamer's Virginia Tech team. You should be thankful we had the lead at the half.

I have a lot of faith in Malone. There isn't a D-coordinator alive that is going to hold the teams we are facing below 35 with the talent Malone is dealing with. We need to get the offense moving better and keeping this defense off the field.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:42 pm

I think the defensive coaches are trying everything they can but they just do not have the personnel to make an impact.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:46 pm

I think we all thought the same thing last year which was why Pope had to make a midseason return to defense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:47 pm

We should be thankful we had the lead at half :lol: Same players as second half, Malone just had no idea how to adjust to a different QB.

A&M faithful sure glad Sumlin didn't have the same attitude. New DC, same players, 180 degree turnaround. Hmmmmmm
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:49 pm

footballdad wrote:We should be thankful we had the lead at half :lol: Same players as second half, Malone just had no idea how to adjust to a different QB.

A&M faithful sure glad Sumlin didn't have the same attitude. New DC, same players, 180 degree turnaround. Hmmmmmm

Sumlin did not fire his former DC after one year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Football