PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Defensive Coordinator Van Malone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Defensive Coordinator Van Malone

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:52 pm

You either have speed or you end up chasing it. Our D simply does not have the same talent we now have on the offensive side of the ball...by design if you are paying attention to how Chad Morris is building this program. I just hope he sticks around to finish the job.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:12 pm

I didn't see us getting beat for speed. Or being pancaked on blocks. I saw a really bad angle for one touchdown and a ton of missed tackles. A ton of missed tackles, for the second straight game, that went for long gains or touchdowns. Clemons had guys squared up and hit them hard and let them bounce off at least twice on big plays. Mixon should be embarrassed for turning his back like that instead of just hammering through Postma on the sideline. Mistakes happen in college football, but this is absurd.
JasonB

Postby SMUer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Same issues against TCU...we’ll be exposed by all average-or-above teams...we’ll at least more-so that the bad teams have troubled us.
SMUer

Postby smusic 00 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:41 pm

Yes
smusic 00

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:42 pm

D frustrated me as well, but I still didnt think 35 would beat us
RGV Pony

Postby Nacho » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 am

D is killing us. We need an experienced d coordinator. And bench those guys who couldn't tackle their grandmother.
Nacho

Postby redpony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:37 am

We only have 4 problems on D- coaching, scheme, technique and players. Oh well, this is SMU what can you expect.
redpony

Postby Pony Boss » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 am

redpony wrote:We only have 4 problems on D- coaching, scheme, technique and players. Oh well, this is SMU what can you expect.

Those are pretty much the key parts of any defense. Are you saying they are junk?
We lost because SMU couldn’t score in the redzone, a kicker that misses field goals and right when they have a chance to win they throw the ball away...4 times.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby MV pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:52 am

So no operational offense, degense or kicking. Different year, same result.
MV pony
All-American

Postby redpony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:56 am

Pony Boss wrote:
redpony wrote:We only have 4 problems on D- coaching, scheme, technique and players. Oh well, this is SMU what can you expect.

Those are pretty much the key parts of any defense. Are you saying they are junk?
We lost because SMU couldn’t score in the redzone, a kicker that misses field goals and right when they have a chance to win they throw the ball away...4 times.

with respect I disagree. cougar high absolutely gashed us with their running and then some of their passes. Catalan had a field day. yes, our O didn't do us any favors but that might change someday when we have a qb that looks at all receivers instead of locking in on one and staring him down.
redpony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 am

PonyUp_62 wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
PonyUp_62 wrote:Just gonna bring this back up... time for changes to happen..

Hahaha yeah we can’t afford a top tier defensive coach. Maybe Fatterson will lend us a hand?

A 14 year old with Madden could do better than Van Malone.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love it. Best comment ever.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:39 am

According to the Stallion theory, Malone is great, just need to wait until next year for the D to magically transform. Morris recruits like Christian Davis, Clemons, Onu, and Sutton will become good players next year. You just wait and watch, he's never wrong. If not next year, the following year.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:56 am

the only one of those that I really touted in high school was Onu-he's the best of the bunch. Progressing fine for a true Sophomore. Christian Davis and Sutton are perfect examples of guys we dropped down to get only after our targets committed elsewhere. Sutton had like 1 other offer. Davis was a little bit more highly recruited. He'll end up being decent-but again not really seeing Championship level talent at DB. I see only moderate improvement on defense-kind of like last year--I never predicted anything else despite BitterFootballDad whose son couldn't cut it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Haha, hilarious how you're now dropping little excuse nuggets for the Morris rebuild plan out to 2 years, when all along it was next year, based on all your genius recruiting analysis.

Just give it up. You know nothing more or less than anyone else, including a monkey throwing darts at a board.

We know, you're never wrong, just have to constantly change your current predictions to cover for the predictions gone bad. Blind squirrels find nuts too :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Is Malone qualified to be a DC? I don't know, this is his first DC job, he has had many other jobs at a number of colleges and high schools, but never as a DC. Basically he is a defensive backs coach which is generally far down the pecking order of defensive coaches. This is where you put your youngest coaches, your strong recruiters that are weak coaches, or just filling out your staff. Almost his entire experience has been as a defensive backs coach. Love him or hate him, Mason had a great deal of experience as a DC. He even gave clinics every year to a couple of SEC teams on the 3-4. He realized early on, that a school like SMU wasn't going to get the number top defensive lineman needed in a 4-3 -- he changed. He constantly schemed to cover up the team's shortcomings. During the game he quickly changed his schemes. When we were healthy, and we had time to heal in the three bowl games we won, we looked pretty good, not the team we are seeing today. These games were played against some top QB's that later became starters in the NFL and he made them look bad.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football