PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston Experience and Other Thoughts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Houston Experience and Other Thoughts

Postby Pony in SA » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:53 am

Houston is older, faster, deeper team. It would be like your high school Varsity team playing your 14/15 year old freshman team. They should win easily, especially on short week at home, not because their coach is necessarily better but he has better kids right now. The rosters aren't comparable. If they don't win easily may say more about them.

Hermann I'm sure is great coach but if Chad played Tennessee Tech and Texas State instead of Baylor and TCU he might have one or 2 more wins, and if vice versa Hermann may have one or 2 more losses. Hermann also this year gets to play UCF when they are way down, and then UConn instead of Temple. His won loss record should be better at end of the season, doesn't mean Chad is less of a coach. Chad with that roster and schedule would do well also.

As to recruiting, I don't post just to post but I've pointed out before my relative who resigned from U of H admissions because of what was being done for their athletes (think of the WR who came back from UCLA few years ago, and of the LB who had problems reading). The AD from Miami knew the importance of athletics and the commitment it takes. I'm sure Stallion and others will point out we can take same kids now as others which may or may not be true, difference is we can't stash our kids in some of the majors they have (like Hotel Clerk/Hospitality, etc.) so it is harder to keep them eligible. I don't criticize Houston for doing it that way, but if you are really objective they can get and keep some kids that we simply can not. Also, they get that you have to do so to be competitive and their academic side does not provide the push back.

As far as the one Houston guys post about facilities they are building, you can build all you want there but the reality is the location is still a horrible one not in the best part of town. When my son played at Perfect Game baseball tourney there this summer, there was gun fire at the McDonald's behind left field wall at noon time, not in the evening. Reality is the campus is in shady part of town and that may be distraction for some.
Pony in SA
All-American

Re: Houston Experience and Other Thoughts

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Props to Houston on the Herman hire. Their program is on much more stable footing than ours. Hope that we can catch up quick.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:03 pm

CargoGunki wrote:Blah blah blah excuses. We outrecruit SMU, draw more fans, our students actually care about our football team, and kick SMUs butts on the field almost every year.

....and make less money, and will be kissing Herman goodbye once the first halfway decent P5 program offers him
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby redpony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:05 pm

CargoGunki wrote:Blah blah blah excuses. We outrecruit SMU, draw more fans, our students actually care about our football team, and kick SMUs butts on the field almost every year.

Not exactly true. In the last 30 games you have only won 19 with the average score difference 8 pts.( ave score SMU 24-cougar high 32). Don't really think 8 points difference is a 'butt kicking'. And of course those 30 games include several years results when we were just restarting our fball program after the DP.

You may out recruit us since the quality of student at cougar high is probably more interested in becoming a slurpy-server after college than a top level business executive.
blah,blah,blah
Last edited by redpony on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redpony

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:06 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:will be kissing Herman goodbye once the first halfway decent P5 program offers him

Won't we be doing the same with Morris?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:09 pm

If you add "in Texas," then yes
RGV Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Rebel10 wrote: Won't we be doing the same with Morris?

Would be surprised if HCCM was interested in leaving Texas for a P5 program. So his options are a bit more limited than Hermans.
redpony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:will be kissing Herman goodbye once the first halfway decent P5 program offers him

Don't think he leaves for just any job. He's making over $2M here and when he starts winning will have unlimited job security. I think he's holding out for A&M when Sumlin leaves; I don't see him leaving the state of Texas unless it's for someone like LSU, OU or Okie State where he could still mine Texas for recruits with ease. But again, that's a ways off- he'll have to get it turned around here before those jobs come calling.

Herman on the other hand has fewer ties to Texas and is making barely half of what Chad makes, and UH can't afford what we pay. He'll be gone in 2 or 14 months
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:11 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

Baylor and TCU have managed to keep their coaches so we just need to do whatever it takes. I actually hope Houston is successful too as our rivalry in the American Conference is probably the best and we need to both be as nationally relevant as possible for whenever we renegotiate TV rights.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby HTownTakeover » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:17 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:

....and make less money, and will be kissing Herman goodbye once the first halfway decent P5 program offers him[/quote

Smu alumni make a lot of money.... No big deal... It's only a major deal if you guys graduated 7,000-10,000 kids a year....

The economic impact of tier I Houston to the Houston / Texas economy dwarfs almost all of the private schools in Texas combined.... Research, admin, sports, arts, business, law, pharmacy, now exploration and production etc.....

We've spent over 1billion in capex and plan to spend another 1.5bn in capex... Research dollars alone > 400 mm a year... Our endowment at uh is larger than LSU's!!! They generate more from TAF than we ever could but it's still factual...

You smu guys act like it's still 1968 and were just still the "[deleted]" as your KA chapter used to refer to us as!!!

I do business with smu folks all the time... Some of you can stroke big checks and most of throse guys aren't on daily message boards....

Glad smu has a lot of wealth..... I keep telling y'all don't worry about the money in Houston!!! We'll be fine!!!
HTownTakeover

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:24 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

Baylor and TCU have managed to keep their coaches so we just need to do whatever it takes. I actually hope Houston is successful too as our rivalry in the American Conference is probably the best and we need to both be as nationally relevant as possible for whenever we renegotiate TV rights.

Baylor and TCU are already in P5 conferences.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Baylor and TCU are already in P5 conferences.

True, but TCU wasn't from 2000 when Patterson got there until 2011. And they were wildly successful during that time. Do you not think they had to try pretty hard to keep Patterson? If they were able to do it, I'm hoping we can do the same.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:33 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Baylor and TCU are already in P5 conferences.

True, but TCU wasn't from 2000 when Patterson got there until 2011. And they were wildly successful during that time. Do you not think they had to try pretty hard to keep Patterson? If they were able to do it, I'm hoping we can do the same.

On a side note, I finally figured out who to keep your quote in there when I had to delete some because there were too many. Nice.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:35 pm

?

seriously? Houston has 4-5 times the number of undergraduates that SMU has so if your student interest (and presumably their subsequent alumni interest) was that much stronger then ours, why didn't you build a 70-80,000 seat stadium to accommodate those numbers? Your historical lack of support is why you guys are playing in the same conference as SMU. Enjoy the success you are having, but stay grounded in reality.
Charleston Pony

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:40 pm

Herman was SMU's second choice, blah blah blah
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Next

Return to Football