PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official SMU vs. Temple thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official SMU vs. Temple thread

Postby SMUer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:23 am

JasonB wrote:If folks remember when PB was head coach, we blew coverages all the time. No adjustments were made in game (7 TD game). We would have plays consistently where we were out of position, or someone blew a coverage. At least one TD per game because of it.

I remember PB's defense giving 7-10 yrd cushions and maintaining those distances all the way through the route, until the receiver would catch the ball. It was bend-don't-break with zero resistance from the DBs until after the catch. Yes, our tiny DBs got beasted and out jumped by receivers who >6' 2" but it wasn't like there were receivers uncovered running up and across the field like this year. As futile as PB's defensive strategy seemed, we might have pulled 2-3 upsets this year if only one blown coverage TD was what we gave up. I'd bet we have one of the worst plays-until-TD ratio in NCAA history because of our rampant assignment screw ups.
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:10 am

SMUer wrote:
JasonB wrote:If folks remember when PB was head coach, we blew coverages all the time. No adjustments were made in game (7 TD game). We would have plays consistently where we were out of position, or someone blew a coverage. At least one TD per game because of it.

I remember PB's defense giving 7-10 yrd cushions and maintaining those distances all the way through the route, until the receiver would catch the ball. It was bend-don't-break with zero resistance from the DBs until after the catch. Yes, our tiny DBs got beasted and out jumped by receivers who >6' 2" but it wasn't like there were receivers uncovered running up and across the field like this year. As futile as PB's defensive strategy seemed, we might have pulled 2-3 upsets this year if only one blown coverage TD was what we gave up. I'd bet we have one of the worst plays-until-TD ratio in NCAA history because of our rampant assignment screw ups.

So the rampant assignment screw ups are on the players or the coaching?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby jpe747 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:03 pm

footballdad wrote:
SMUer wrote:

So the rampant assignment screw ups are on the players or the coaching?

Generally speaking the players. SMU has about 10 to 15 players that should be on the field at any one time. The others are fill ins. Most of the mistakes in the first half are results of player's abilities...not strong enough, not quick enough, not fast enough, etc. Most of the glaring mistakes come in the second half when the team is behind, time is running out and the pressure is on to make something happen. I think the coaches are doing a fantastic job with the materials they have. Just the players who have made verbal commitments should make a GREAT difference next year. I do hope that some of the players not ready yet for this level of play improve and bring more to the table.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:09 pm

By the way footballdad, I was referring to there is only about 10 or 15 players off of the whole team right now that should be on the field any time...First team, second team, etc.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Mason's defenses always had major problems with hurry up offenses and he did not make good adjustments. Maybe JasonB should try to get a job as a coordinator since he thinks he makes all the perfect decisions.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Mason's defenses always had major problems with hurry up offenses and he did not make good adjustments. Maybe JasonB should try to get a job as a coordinator since he thinks he makes all the perfect decisions.

That's true. Like I said physically we never held up. But I think some of the missed assignments we are seeing right now on the offensive and defensive lines as well as the missed assignments in the secondary I would put on coaching.

On the other side of the equation, for an offense that is completely different, with a ton of different formations that aren't close to what we lined up in last year, and a faster pace, and more personnel changes, the lack of illegal shift, illegal sub, and delay of game penalties on offence is an indicator of outstanding coaching.

I'm not saying we need to dump the OL, DL and DC coaches. Most of our staff is young and in new positions. But it is certainly something to keep our eye on moving forward. We all expected that stuff to get cleaned up under Bennett and it never happened. Under Mason the blown mental mistakes cleaned up pretty damn quickly. It is something that sticks in my mind about what to watch from a coaching perspective.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Please explain to this ignorant fool how a missed assignment is the coach's fault. If the coach gives an assignment and the player does not do it properly, is that not the player's fault?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:00 pm

mrydel wrote:Please explain to this ignorant fool how a missed assignment is the coach's fault. If the coach gives an assignment and the player does not do it properly, is that not the player's fault?
sorry we don't listen to people that actually played football
smupony94

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:01 pm

How about this: June's offense did not run the ball much so they went by with pass blocking linemen that dont necessarily open holes for the run game. Can't call that coaching when the guys can't open holes for Jones and West.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:05 pm

wow he almost made a legitimate point-but the real point is that these offensive lineman were recruited because they had a different skill set than is used to drive block in this offense. Watch the recruiting tapes for our recruits next year and you'll see drive blockers which is why several may play early
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Stallion wrote:wow he almost made a legitimate point-but the real point is that these offensive lineman were recruited because they had a different skill set than is used to drive block in this offense. Watch the recruiting tapes for our recruits next year and you'll see drive blockers which is why several may play early

How is that different than what I was trying to say? Same for the defense, kids recruited now are for 4-2-5 not 3-4 as Masons kids were.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:55 pm

mrydel wrote:Please explain to this ignorant fool how a missed assignment is the coach's fault. If the coach gives an assignment and the player does not do it properly, is that not the player's fault?

If the play has been practiced enough and the players execute it at practice but fail in the games, that is on the players.

If the play hasn't been drilled into their heads in the appropriate amount of detail, it is on the coaches - you aren't prepping the kids to know what they are supposed to do on certain plays.

If it was one player screwing up all the time, then yes it is on the player. And, like I said, the schemes are a lot different than they were under June. So part of it might be a matter of getting tired in a game and losing some mental focus. But there have been enough different players missing different assignments that I think there might be a coaching issue involved as well.

Look, as you know, when you practice against the scout team in practice, they aren't ever going to be at the same level as the guys you play against on Saturday. So, when you play against them, you can get away with sloppiness from a technique perspective or an execution perspective and still come out ahead because you are physically dominant. It's up to the coaching staff to recognize what needs to be improved even on a "successful" play in practice and make sure that stuff is straightened out by the time you get to the game. If we had the appropriate amount of depth on the team, it would really help us practice better. But we don't, so it is up to the coaches to make sure that the good players we do have are practicing at the right level and execute correctly in the games.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Since JasonB know all the details of how our defense and offense operates maybe he should be the coach.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby footballdad » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:25 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Since JasonB know all the details of how our defense and offense operates maybe he should be the coach.

Let's give JasonB a shot to lead the D, couldn't do any worse.

SMU currently #122, followed by North Texas, NM St, Texas St, Texas Tech, and Kansas to round out the bottom 5. State of Texas looks to be leading the country in crappy defense!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:54 pm

footballdad wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Since JasonB know all the details of how our defense and offense operates maybe he should be the coach.

Let's give JasonB a shot to lead the D, couldn't do any worse.

SMU currently #122, followed by North Texas, NM St, Texas St, Texas Tech, and Kansas to round out the bottom 5. State of Texas looks to be leading the country in crappy defense!

He sounds like he knows how to operate a team better than the coaches even though they do not have the personnel.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football