PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

are the lows really going to be in the low 30's Sat night?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: are the lows really going to be in the low 30's Sat nigh

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:53 pm

after 50 years I've pretty much come to the conclusion that SMU fans will get the program they deserve-which is why I think SMU to a P5 conference is a pipe dream. I do know we haven't built jack squat in the last 7 years while spending more on our Coaching staffs than just about every G5 school. I do know Dallas at large will never adopt SMU as their team especially in a conference like the AAC -its going to be the SMU alumni, family and friends or it doesn't get done and the SMU alumni, family and friends largely don't give a [deleted]. We basically need 10,000 hard core football alumni that bring their wife, family and friends. Right now I think we've got about 3,000 alumni that are solid fans and then buy tickets for their wife, family and friends. Not going to cut it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Stallion wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:
Stallion wrote:I worry that so many think this is normal-5,000 to 8,000 fans in the seats for several games

Third smallest enrollment of any school playing D1A football with one win (and only one previous home victory in the past TWO seasons) against another small private school with three wins on a cold Saturday night in late November in a city with unlimited entertainment options. I'm shocked we were able to get anyone to go to the game honestly.

So you going to put that on our expansion/resume packet for P5 inclusion. Who in the hell cares. For ALL private G5 schools its about overachieving the small size of your school like TCU did before and after it started to rebuild its program. TCU never had 4,000-5,000 at their games for multiple games even when they were bad and EVEN when they had 5,000 undergraduates not too long ago. P5 conference don't give a [deleted] that we are a small private school-we will be compared to all G5 school regardless.

Who said anything about P5? Does P5 have anything to do with the attendance of a game between two teams that had four combined wins in late November? No. Personally I think the talk of P5 is silly as there are about half a dozen schools above SMU in the pecking order as of today. That said, realignment isn't happening today, tomorrow, or the day after that. It may not even happen at all.

All SMU can do is play the hand it has been dealt. The reality is that we have given our fans and the city of Dallas virtually ZERO reason to support this program. Hostile administration (1989-2007), terrible coaching decisions (1989-2014), historically unprecedented terrible seasons (one winless season and more two and three win seasons than you can shake a stick at), getting our doors blown completely off when we play former SWC rivals, and you honestly think that people who attended SMU in the last 25 years want to spend their precious time, money, energy, and commitment on THAT PRODUCT?!

The truth is we have some amazing fans. Fans who have stuck with this thing through what can only be described as borderline abusive treatment by the athletic department and the football program. ASU-gate, June extension, and the fallout that occurred cannot be undone by a 2-10 season where we played pretty good offense and historically bad defense. The program is undeniably headed in the right direction but it is going to take time to win the trust of the fans that have been alienated at every turn by their institution and athletic department.

I'm not saying we will ever reach the point of selling out Ford Stadium regardless of opponent. I'm not naive enough to think that even a 9-2 SMU team would draw more than 25K against the likes of Tulane, UCF, USF, etc. What I am saying is that we haven't even given our fans that chance! We've never had 9 wins. We've won ONE, yes.....ONE game against a Top 25 opponent at home since 1989. Think about that. Truly astonishing. Give the fans/supporters/alums something tangible to hold onto b/c for the better part of 30 years the SMU administration and program have been putting forth a product that is embarrassing and simply not worth the time and effort involved in caring. Give us a Larry Brown. Give us some wins at home against teams people care about. Get us in the Top 25 (again, not done since 1989). If we are still drawing 10K in the stands then I will be the first one to agree with you and say its hopeless. I guess I'd just like to have that chance once in my life.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby JasonB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:11 pm

People will adopt SMU as their college basketball and college football team. But you have to be good in order for that to happen. We were mediocre in basketball and it got us 0 attendance. The AAC isn't regarded as the best basketball conference. But when word spreads that the team is actually good, like in our first 27 win season, support spreads.

In football we have been mediocre in the best of times for 30 years. Regardless of what people think of the AAC, when we show we have a "good" team, meaning one that is going to get double-digit wins, people will show up and adopt the team. Same thing happened with the Frogs. Until then, even 8-5 isn't going to raise the consciousness. People want to root for a good, top 25 quality football team.

The same thing pretty much happens to all sports teams in Dallas BTW. I was in college when the Mavs were awful, and we could buy a 5 dollar nosebleed ticket for a game in Reunion and go and sit behind the bench. How was the Rangers attendance at the end of the summer last season? FC Dallas averages 10K a game if the team sucks. They are in the playoffs now and pretty much sold out the next playoff game a week before it happens. Dallas sports fans turn out when teams are good and find other things to do when they aren't.
JasonB

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:17 pm

You want to see fickle fans? Check out the attendance in Austin on Thanksgiving for Texas vs. Texas Tech. They are already expecting the stadium to be half empty at kickoff.

The reality is that Texas sucks. Tech is mediocre. And people in Austin have better things to do than watch two garbage teams battle it out to be tallest midget in the Big 12. It isn't Manhattan, KS or Ames, IA where there is literally nothing else to do. Check out the stands for the Miami Hurricanes lately. Look familiar?

You want support? Try not to be freaking terrible. Win more than two home games in the last two years. Sell us something other than hope b/c the generation of alums from 1990-2015 have been given virtually nothing.
StallionsModelT

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Stallion wrote:after 50 years I've pretty much come to the conclusion that SMU fans will get the program they deserve-which is why I think SMU to a P5 conference is a pipe dream. I do know we haven't built jack squat in the last 7 years while spending more on our Coaching staffs than just about every G5 school. I do know Dallas at large will never adopt SMU as their team especially in a conference like the AAC -its going to be the SMU alumni, family and friends or it doesn't get done and the SMU alumni, family and friends largely don't give a [deleted]. We basically need 10,000 hard core football alumni that bring their wife, family and friends. Right now I think we've got about 3,000 alumni that are solid fans and then buy tickets for their wife, family and friends. Not going to cut it

95-205.

Answer this: is TCU from 1998-2015 better, equal or worse than all time TCU pre 1990s? They built a top 10 football program in a g5 conference and grew their season ticket base almost double when they joined Big 12. They did it and so can SMU. Baylor did the same, look how pathetic they were and how little people they drew into floyd casey.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:44 pm

I've been to Floyd Casey about 20 times and to Amon Carter about 30 times when they were good, bad and mediocre-YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:45 pm

What else is going on in Waco on a Saturday night? How many students does Baylor have relative to SMU? What conference are they in again?
StallionsModelT

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Stallion wrote:I've been to Floyd Casey about 20 times and to Amon Carter about 30 times when they were good, bad and mediocre-YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Why are you an "SMU fan" if the situation is as hopeless as you put it? Why are the "big money boosters" wasting all this money on Chad Morris and June Jones to be a bottom feed team with subpar talent?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Why do you talk about college football like you were raised by woman?

These are life's mysteries

I'd go to games whether we are P5 or not just like I've been to 99.999999% SMU games over 50 years

Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:12 pm

Stallion wrote:Why do you talk about college football like you were raised by woman?

These are life's mysteries

I'd go to games whether we are P5 or not just like I've been to 99.999999% SMU games over 50 years

"I got 99.9999999% of problems but....."
StallionsModelT

Previous

Return to Football