PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poll

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Poll

Postby Grider » Sat Jul 15, 2000 9:56 am

I'm just puting in my two cents on the poll. Those guys are all grreat players and we are lucky to call them Mustangs. One other great that wasn't listed:
Raymond Berry, who played for the Stangs in the fifties, and who went on to the NFL and played for years with the BALTIMORE COLTS. He was Johnny U's favorite target. If you ever see those NFL archive films were they always seem to wind up on a "frozen tundra" somewhere. You're bound to catch a glimpse of old Ray Berry.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Re: Poll

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 15, 2000 12:43 pm

Thanks for the heads up. We totally forgot about him...Oh well, that is what the message boards is for! He was indeed a good player. I did not know that he played on the frozen tundra.

------------------
PonyFanMan
Co-Founder, Ponyfans.com
Cwilson@ponyfans.com
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sat Jul 15, 2000 1:43 pm

Yes, Raymond Berry was AWESOME

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby graypony » Sat Jul 15, 2000 11:42 pm

Don't forget, not only was he a great college player and pro player, he coached a team to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, his Patriots were matched up against Ditka's best Bear team, "Super Bowl Shuffle" performers, and got blown out. Not too many coaches, even a few great ones, can say that they coached a team all the way to the Super Bowl.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Sun Jul 16, 2000 1:52 am

Great Points graypony! It is certainly an accomplishment to coach a team that played in the Super Bowl!

------------------
"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure."- Knute Rockne
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Jul 16, 2000 2:28 am

Poor Coach Berry, he was up against,
DAAA BERS and DIT-KA.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Grider » Sun Jul 16, 2000 5:01 am

Wait, I had no idea he was the coach of the Pats and Craig James. Good stuff Graypony!!!
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby PonyPride » Sun Jul 16, 2000 8:08 pm

Raymond Berry is not in the Hall of Fame for coaching Craig James & co. to the Super Bowl. He is EASILY the best WR in school history. Those others are strong players, but how did Korey Beard make that list?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Jul 17, 2000 12:57 am

I just glanced at SMUMustangs.com, at the stats page for football, and it said the Korey was the forth all time leading reviever in SMU history, with something like 165 receptions in his career.

------------------
"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure."- Knute Rockne
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Jul 17, 2000 12:19 pm

That was in the post-DP era, when Romo and Freiburger were running the Run-and-Shoot offense. EVERYONE caught some passes. Korey Beard was OK, but his stats were greatly enhanced by the system in which he played.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Return to Football