PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Everybody's Gut feeling about us making a P5 Conference?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Everybody's Gut feeling about us making a P5 Conference?

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:22 pm

0%. We need to just look after our own affairs. We just need to be content with supporting our team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 03Mustang » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Never going to happen. Best bet is to be good in basketball and hope to make minor bowls in football... Best case scenario.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:56 pm

03Mustang wrote:Never going to happen. Best bet is to be good in basketball and hope to make minor bowls in football... Best case scenario.

Do you realize UH is in the same conference as SMU and are about to clinch a NY6 bowl?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby 03Mustang » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:03 pm

You do realize how far away we are from that and that things could very well change significantly before we get there (if ever), right?
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lwjr » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Slim and none.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:16 pm

03Mustang wrote:You do realize how far away we are from that and that things could very well change significantly before we get there (if ever), right?

Far away?? If you cannot see the turnaround in the works and how CM and crew are working hard to recruit the best talent so we can reach those bowls, then you're just blind.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:31 pm

Oh I believe in Chad Morris 100%-he's destined for the P5- its the SMU fan that is G5-perhaps FCS forever

Its all those empty seats and visitors sitting in the SMU season ticket areas which are particularly obvious
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Stallion wrote:Oh I believe in Chad Morris 100%-he's destined for the P5- its the SMU fan that is G5-perhaps FCS forever

If Chad Morris wanted a P5 job he would have picked another p5 opening last year. Guess what, he didn't.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby 03Mustang » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:49 pm

What stallion said.

We can say attendance "wasn't bad considering ___________" as much as we want, but no one other than us believes in the justification. Plenty of other schools with stronger support.

Need to win fast and have fans show up even faster. I believe Morris will have us winning soon, but I have zero faith in the second part.

That's why there is zero chance.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
Stallion wrote:Oh I believe in Chad Morris 100%-he's destined for the P5- its the SMU fan that is G5-perhaps FCS forever

If Chad Morris wanted a P5 job he would have picked another p5 opening last year. Guess what, he didn't.

Pony Boss definitely G5, perhaps FCS :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Phxfan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Well, this board is pretty negative. I do not agree with most posts. I don't think the $ guy's would be shelling out all this $ to sit at the kids table. Who cared about Utah until a few years back?

SMU does have a decent chance, IMO, if they can get some fans, and look to the PAC.

BYU was just a bridge to far. Baylor would be too. I don't think SMU falls into that demographic. I don't think the " Methodist" thing would hurt SMU, as far as the PAC. Mainline, liberal etc. Stanford has the Hoover Inst. SMU fits the PAC better than Utah, maybe UA, ASU.

SMU will not get into the B12, B10, SEC. etc.

Hope UH does not get the B12 invite, because it is the best bet for the PAC to reach a better time zone, recruiting etc. if UH & SMU were together. If they go to the B12, UNM is a shot (Utah).

ESPN hit the wall. I would like to know the demographics of why? Is it all these teams left out of the P5? The G5? People do not want to watch a team that can never reach the top.

I would not give up on this. Maybe 40% chance, if they can get the fans in the stadium.

Maybe sounds nuts, but the P12 is the place to look.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:42 pm

#SMUTOACC
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby 03Mustang » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:47 pm

That's a really long post with a huge assumption that people will show.

I haven't been around as long as many here (graduated 2003) but nothing I have seen to this point in terms of attendance, general fan interest, or alumni engagement leads me to believe we'll ever consistently draw more than 20k in the best of scenarios unless at least half of that is the other team's fans.

I agree with Stallion that the P5 conferences don't care about the excuses why, they just want butts in seats and season tickets sold.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Phxfan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:11 pm

OK, ASU has around 90,000 students. UA around 50,000. If they are losing, ASU brings in around 25-35,000 fans in the seats, UA even less. The PAC playoff between Stanford/UCLA drew about 32,000 a couple yr.s back. Pretty low attendance. SMU just needs to win. Needs some decent PR. Needs to change the "rich" thing somehow, outreach. If you are paying coaches $2M + then invest $5M + to outreach. It really is not, or should not be that hard. Morris should get the winning thing on track. Now the outreach. You are a UMC school, use it.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:15 pm

we've never been able to access that Methodist support like Baylor has the Baptist (or Notre Dame the Catholics) probably because we are not closely tied to the denomination like Baylor is. I wish I knew how to access that large potential fanbase-its worth considering a strategy-but its not likely

Used to get about 5-6,000 for Methodist Youth Fellowship Day but I don't think we even have that any more-those could be paying customers in future which is more than I can say about some of our strategies. Get the good people at HP Methodist Church to have their own tail gate area and invite other congregations each week-couldn't hurt none
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football