PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2001 surprise Pony

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2001 surprise Pony

Postby PonyExpress » Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:19 pm

Just curious who people think will have a real breakout year this year, and I'm looking for surprises - we all know guys like Vic Viloria are going to come up huge.

From what I read on this site, and from what my friends who still live in Dallas tell me, Thornton Chandler (if he's healthy?) will have a great year. I understand he's added a lot of strength, and the talent and mentality are there. I'll be in town for the Hawaii game, and maybe one more, and I can't wait to see him.

So am I right about Chandler? Who else is going to surprise this year for SMU?
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Re: 2001 surprise Pony

Postby BUS » Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:24 pm

Over the Christmas break I met Eric Neal at a friends home. Was going to the Army but they called - something about his eyes - This guy is big and has the right attitude about running over people.
Freshmen Red Shirt and big!!
Would like to see him step out.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 16, 2001 7:07 pm

without predicting anything, let's all hope it's Kelan Luker who is the major surprise this year. I'd like to see him produce the kind of numbers he did in the spring game 2 yrs ago. Let's face it, we remain undersized as a division I-A football program and have not had an offense that could consistently sustain drives these past few years. We need Kelan to step up and lead this offense if we are going to have any success this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 16, 2001 11:16 pm

I really think that it is going to be Freeman that makes a huge impact this season. His ability to catch has been sketchy to say the least, but he has improved miles in this category. He has the speed to get around the corner on reverses and cause some havoc coming out of the backfield on some plays. He will be one of two deep threats this year.

Postby Hilltopper » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:19 pm

I'm waiting on OL Brandon Luter. How many times have we all heard coaches say "you can't teach size or speed"? The man is huge, and with the right training and attitude, he could be overpowering.

Imagine a front line of Luter, Sterling Harris, Thornton Chandler, James McCarthy and Joey Slaten. By my calculations, that line would average 6-foot-5.4 inches tall and 311 pounds per man. I'd REALLY like to see that.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby PonyPride » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:55 pm

My candidate is not a real surprise player, but his season last year was not up to his standards. I think Comet Cunningham is up for a huge year. His move back to the outside will be a huge boost to the offense, because it keeps him away from the traffic he encountered running interior routes as a slot receiver, and it lets him chase down deep balls, which he does better than any receiver on the team. If the Ponies throw the ball enough, I predict 55-60 receptions, 1,100 yards and 9 touchdowns. Comet's all-WAC this year, for sure.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Jul 18, 2001 11:07 am

Sterling Harris will bust out this year. I've complained about him in the past for being slow or lethargic, but I've heard he's kicking tail in the offseason workouts, and that The Diesel (Faucette) has him doing a lot of quickness/footwork drills, in addition to his strength work. Rumor has it he's lost a few more pounds around the gut, and packed them back on his legs, arms and shoulders. Looks like a new man, from what I hear, and has shown better mobility. This is the year his promise will be realized .... I hope. Come on, Sterling, it's time to show us all.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Grider » Wed Jul 18, 2001 1:28 pm

I totally agree with Classof81. We have got to have Sterling have a big year. We need him on the line! I don't know if he will have a breakout year, but certainly we need him to perform.
He was one of the highest ranked recruits that we've scored in recent years, and it would be a shame if he didn't even have the talent to play on the D-I level. That has bad connotations for our program all the way around.
Bottom line: I hope your right, and Faucette really sounds like he could be and IS being a real positive force for the Stangs this year. Go Diesel!!
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2001 1:44 pm

We need a HUGE year from the o and D lines. This takes a combined effort from each group. If these guys can come together and play as a unit, we will have a successful year. Look for Mac on the o-line and hopefully Pratt on the d-line to lead these guys. I know we can do it.

Postby ponytalk » Wed Jul 18, 2001 2:00 pm

Jonas Rutledge. KG has prooven himself, but I think Jonas learned a lot last year. We need him to and I think he will.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby saguarostang » Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:32 pm

My prediction is for Allan Adami to have an impact this season. I will not go as far as to say a breakout year just yet, but a little more size and age and then I will say it. This guy has something that many of the other guys don't, ATTITUDE! I like him and it is not because I am best friends with his brother and family but because he is exactly what SMU needs, meatheads. I don't mean that he is not intelligent because he is. He knows that if he does whats right he will graduate and have that SMU degee, that is not an issue, what I love about him is that he lives football. He wants to get dirty and could give a flying flip about Friday night Greek parties or what is going on after the game. All he cares about is whats going on during the game and fighting whoever in order to win it. He doesn't care about his muscle definition, he doesn't pose in the mirrors while doing curls and think he's pretty. Allan benches and squats and cleans so he can kick somebody's [deleted] on Saturday. Lord, I'm getting all worked up thinking about it, guys like him get me excited about football. This guy is a little undersized for the position they have him at but mark my words, That o-lineman across from his better come ready to go because I guarantee, like Mac, when that whistle blows the gloves are coming off and its go-time.
saguarostang
Junior Varsity

Postby WildHorse » Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:55 pm

how big is Adami now? I've heard he's piling up muscle and eating everything in sight. Ready to see him bust someone in the mouth on Saturday's.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby SMU00 » Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:33 pm

What happened to all the talk about Melvin Williams? I thought he was supposed to be the next surprise stud on defense. Everything you guys have written about him ripping it up against guys so much bigger than he is. He gets my vote for the 2001 breakout Pony.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 22, 2001 4:44 pm

I agree with M-MAVERICK -- Johnnie Freeman is going to turn heads this year. The kid has amazing speed, and now that he has a full year at receiver under his belt, he's going to be a lot more comfortable. The knock on him last year was that he couldn't judge the deep ball, but I think Luker and Page will be more accurate on deep balls than McCown was. If we can get the ball in Freeman's hands, he'll make EVERYONE take notice.

Postby Pony Up » Sun Jul 22, 2001 6:39 pm

D.D. Lee is a star in waiting
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Next

Return to Football