PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Followill is gone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Followill is gone

Postby HorsePower » Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:33 pm

Mark Followill, the voice of the Mustangs for the past couple of years, is no longer a part of the Ponies' radio broadcasts. He has accepted a full-time position with the new ESPN Radio station, 103.3 FM, to be the play-by-play voice of the Dallas Mavericks. Craig Swann will stay as the color commentator, I assume, but who's going to replace Followill?

Candidates (or at least my suggestions):

• David Hatchett
• Allen Stone
• Davey Lane (not good, but he's a Ticket scrub and would take the job if offered)
• I'd love to see Bob Sturm throw his name in the ring, but with his Ticket and KTXN stuff, there's no way he'll have the time
• Jimmy Christopher (current sideline reporter)
• Dark Horse: If she wasn't tied in with 103.3, Andrea Pilcher wouldn't be bad. Not great, but not bad. She sounds much improved over her early radio days
• Bring Mike Fisher over from Fox 1190. He'd be great
HorsePower
Heisman

Re: Followill is gone

Postby HorsePower » Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:34 pm

Don't know if Followill works for 103.3FM or for the Mavs -- but either way, he's escaped the schTicket.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Jul 19, 2001 1:19 pm

Add Steve "da voice of Mustang soccer" [deleted] to your list of candidates. Current football statistician and all around good guy.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUguy » Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:18 pm

A soccer guy announcing football? Not sure about that. First list seems to have enough candidates.

My choice: Newy (sp) Scruggs
Won't happen, because he works for 103.3 (ESPN), but he'd do a great job.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby WildHorse » Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:29 pm

Fisher would be great, but he wouldn't leave 1190 to come to the Ticket, because the Ticket is owned by Susquehana - which fired him from the Ticket's sister-station, KLIF 570.

With him off the list, I vote for David Hatchett.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Jul 19, 2001 7:50 pm

You know who would be great? Dan Bell. He does the P.A. announcing for men's basketball (he of "Jeryl SAAAAASSSSSSER," "2! For Q!" and "Kris Loooooooooooowe" fame.) He has a great voice, knows a lot about football, and does broadcasts for the Lone Star Radio network, I think. He goes to all the games anyway, and he'd do a terrific job.

[This message has been edited by ClassOf81 (edited 07-19-2001).]
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jul 20, 2001 12:19 pm

SMUGuy,

Yes, [deleted] is technically a soccer guy (at least as far as announcing goes), but he's also been the football statistician for the ponies for the last 5 or 6 years. He has also held the same postion with the Cowboys for quite a few years. My agency also used him for some radio and voice-over talent work for the Internet, so he definitely has the voice. That's why I think he would make an ideal candidate. Broadcasters choose statisticians for their knowledge of the game and familiarity with the booth -- so he's definitely a "football guy." He has as much on-air talent as any of the others mentioned (i.e. you don't need to be a TV personality to call games on a stadium PA). As a former sports editor and current news editor for a local paper, he has established good rapport with players, coaches and the athletic department. Plus the guy is a true, loyal alumni, who stays involved because he is a FAN. -- which should count for something.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangFan » Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:18 pm

What about digging Walter Lynn out of retirement? He might not be anxious to resume working for the folks at the Ticket (as mentioned above, they're the same clowns who now own Walter's old station, 570 KLIF). I have no idea what Wally's doing with himself now - he was involved in broadcast.com in some capacity, and I gather made a ton of money. With no disrespect meant to Followill, Wally was far and away the best broadcaster we've had at SMU, at least since the return of football in 1989. Ted Dawson (the former Channel 4 dork who worked a few seasons) was an idiot, and it showed in his broadcasts. Wally was terrific. Followill is damn good, and would have gotten better every year, had he not gotten the great chance to go full-time with the Mavs. Wally Lynn is simply a very talented broadcaster, who knows a hell of a lot and brought a great level of professionalism and excitement to the broadcasts. Find out what it would take to get him back. He and Craig Swann would make a great team.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby SMUguy » Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:30 pm

Are we sure Craig will be back this year?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby FreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:54 pm

Steve Landsdale would probably do a great
job.

I hope they don't trot in one of those old
guys...

I'll miss Followil.

If they bring in Newy Scruggs, I'll have to
cancel my season tickets!
FreibergerForHeisman

Postby Dirty Bird » Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:39 pm

[deleted] would likely do a great job, but I also think a capable replacement for Followill would be Park Cities People Sports Editor Greg Ford. In just 2 years on the job, Ford has blazed a path of journalistic greatness, and would no doubt bring the same level of excellence to the broadcast booth.
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Postby Houston Pony » Wed Aug 01, 2001 2:21 pm

Dirty Bird,
You are an idiot. What is your problem?
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Aug 01, 2001 3:53 pm

Dirty Bird is either on crack or has a truly twisted sense of humor (I'm guessing the latter). Whatever accolades Greg Ford may have accumulated are entirely due to the coattail effect provided by his distinguished predecessor.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Hilltopper » Wed Aug 01, 2001 4:02 pm

I have no idea who that Landsdale guy is. But my sources tell me the job either has been offered or soon will be offered to Allen Stone. From what I hear, the job is his to lose.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 01, 2001 4:08 pm

Is Allen Stone the guy who does the basketball games?

Next

Return to Football