PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

High School Offensive Coordinator - June Jones

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cavan is Back!!!

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Good for Mike - he was a great guy who may have done well had it not been for the restrictions that were placed on us (by the school) at that time.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Cavan is Back!!!

Postby Digetydog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:25 pm

PonyTime wrote:Good for Mike - he was a great guy who may have done well had it not been for the restrictions that were placed on us (by the school) at that time.

He was also hindered by his inability to make up his mind about his QB. Every time I see Josh McCown play in the NFL, I am reminded that he wasn't good enough to play for SMU.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: High School Offensive Coordinator - June Jones

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:19 pm

June's high school is 1.5 freshman classes away from a championship season.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:52 am

This seems like a good gig for him. I am sure it was hard not being able to find a college gig, but hardly surprising. SMU was the graveyard for another collegiate coaching career.

Let's change that this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:54 am

So June was a victim of SMU? Or the other way around?
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:58 am

Mustangsabu wrote:This seems like a good gig for him. I am sure it was hard not being able to find a college gig, but hardly surprising. SMU was the graveyard for another collegiate coaching career.

Bozo comment.

What's this 'Let's' BS, as if anyone on this board can influence it.

Guess what genius, Chad Morris is going to leave us for greener pastures and it's all going to be because of Chad Morris. No different than tiki can't find a meaningful job and it's all because of tiki.
SoCal_Pony

Postby soccermom » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:This seems like a good gig for him. I am sure it was hard not being able to find a college gig, but hardly surprising. SMU was the graveyard for another collegiate coaching career.

WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:43 am

I think that Gordon Wood (1914-2003) whose record as a Texas HS coach was 396-91-15 in forty-three seasons as head coach is one of the great models for anyone who would work on that level. His teams won district twenty-five times and were state champions nine times. He is best remembered for the years he spent at Brownwood.

I mention Wood because his teams were flexible on offense, although his preference was to run the ball. Wood seems to have had the attitude that public high school coaches had to be flexible because of the strictures on recruiting. He is said to have walked out of a lecture at a coaches conference once when the speaker, then well known, started his remarks with the joke about there being three outcomes when the ball was passed and two of them bad. That was not the reality that Wood knew.

Certainly JJ did not demonstrate much flexibility at SMU. I have no doubt he has much that youngsters need to know about football but I do doubt his ability or willingness to coach up HS players. I am sure there will be kids in the islands who will want to some how get in the Kapolei district and play on a team where he is one of the coaches. The same may be true for other assistant coaches who want exposure to his methods.

In short, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I really don't see JJ emulating Gordon Wood by having a great late career success at the HS level after a year or two as an assistant. I do see the jokes and critical comment about him on ponyfans taking a whole new direction - as has happened already.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:54 am

He dug the grave this time. SMU was at the hospital trying to revive the corpse.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby orguy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Time to stop all this June bashing. Not going to forget that he demonstrated to the world success is possible at SMU post DP. Friends of mine in distant parts of the country really started to notice SMU football after we walloped Nevada. For the first time I really started to pay attention to the program myself simply because June proved success was possible at SMU after the nightmarish failures of the Rosley/Cavan/PB years. It was time for June to move on but he accomplished much at SMU despite the negatives. Far greater things than any of his post DP predecessors.
orguy
All-American

Postby 03Mustang » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:58 am

orguy wrote:Time to stop all this June bashing. Not going to forget that he demonstrated to the world success is possible at SMU post DP. Friends of mine in distant parts of the country really started to notice SMU football after we walloped Nevada. For the first time I really started to pay attention to the program myself simply because June proved success was possible at SMU after the nightmarish failures of the Rosley/Cavan/PB years. It was time for June to move on but he accomplished much at SMU despite the negatives. Far greater things than any of his post DP predecessors.

To paraphrase what someone else on this board once said, how you leave matters.

If someone builds you a mansion with everything you could ever want at a reasonable price when no one else would do it, you'd love that guy. If he torched it once he was done just because he happened to be in a position to do that, you might see him differently at the end of the experience, no matter what he did before.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:14 am

orguy wrote:Time to stop all this June bashing.

It's not time yet, try again in 2017.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Previous

Return to Football