PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

This really hurts to say, but ....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

This really hurts to say, but ....

Postby Jim Rome » Thu Jul 19, 2001 5:14 pm

Props to TCU.

There, I said it. And saying that makes me want to go play in traffic.

But I just got back to SoCal from a two-week trip to Big D. I was heading out for drinks with my old roommate, and we hear an ad on the radio that made me want to go postal. TCU has gotten Lee Corso to pimp the Frogs' upcoming season, their move to Conference USA, their affordable ticket prices, etc., and even some smack about the little Froggies being the home team of the Metroplex. I damn-near died when I heard this. First of all, I saw and heard nothing marketing SMU's upcoming season. And the commercials I do remember from a few years ago were recorded over "She'll be Comin' Around the Mountain" and with an announcer who sounds like he should be the Master of Ceremonies at a John Phillip Souza revival.

We all know Lee Corso hasn't said anything intelligent on ESPN in years - maybe ever. But the fact is that he's a national guy, recognized from Seattle to Miami. College kids flock to that nitwit, and for some reason, put some stock in what he says. You have to assume that if his mouth is moving, he's offering false info of some kind. But for whatever reason, he has some clout.

OK, we don't have a huge budget for marketing. But if we can't get a Corso/Herbstreit/Fowler type to do an ad like that, how about calling on Craig James? Dude still lives in Plano, which is a 10-minute race down Central in one of the rigs he stores in his under-the-house parking garage. CJames would bring a national face, might drop a name or two on his show if we win something, and lend some big-name credibility.

TCU has gotten Corso to sound like he's a fan of the Little Froggies (which actually isn't that much of a stretch, since he jumps on and off bandwagons faster than rats on the Titanic). Oklahoma got huge props over the last couple of years for the way they brought back the stars from years ago to support the current Sooners team.

That's what we need to do to create the image. Pay a national name to pimp the Ponies. Go nuts bring back players like Craig James, Eric Dickerson, Jeff Atkins, Michael Carter, Louis Kelcher, Forrest Gregg, Putt Choate, Russell Carter, Reggie Dupard, Ron Morris .... see where I'm going? Make them feel like royalty. Blow the budget, if need be. But we need national names proudly supporting the Ponies. Get a few of those names back in the fold, and more Pony clones will follow.

[This message has been edited by Jim Rome (edited 07-20-2001).]
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Re: This really hurts to say, but ....

Postby saguarostang » Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:00 pm

That is a great idea Jim Rome and one that I have always wondered about. Why does SMU not have any former stars plugging the program. Will these guys just not do it or has nobody been smart enough to ask them. Where the hell is Dickerson and James. In five years of playing ball I saw CJames around there one time and well, Dickerson never even graced the doorway with his presence that I am aware of. What would it hurt to give a shout for their school and you're right, it would definently help. I hope someone can get one of the big names to help out because we need whatever we can get to get this program's nose above water. On a side note, not much longer until two=a=days, I hope everyone is excited and ready to get the season going.
saguarostang
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangFan » Fri Jul 20, 2001 1:25 pm

Hell yes I'm excited about 2-a-days.

And I love Jim Rome's idea about paying -- even overpaying -- a national name to "pimp" (nice verb) the Ponies.

Can you imagine this commercial?

"Hi, everyone, this is Keith Jackson. I'm here to remind you that the SMU Mustangs have started their stampede back to glory in beautiful Gerald J. Ford Stadium. Come out and see Kris Briggs, a fine young man out of the lovely little town of Carthage, Texas. Or David Page and Kelan Luker, the young gun-slingers who will battle it out for the SMU quarterback job. And the Ponies have Vic Viloria, one of the finest linebackers in the entire country, an undersized terror whose heart is as big as all outdoors. Don't miss a chance to check out the Ponies as they race their way to the top of the WAC. Whoah, Nellie!"

Might sound a bit forced to some (Corso sounds ridiculous calling out fans to TCU - he doesn't even know where Fort Worth(less) is. But he's a national name and gets attention for the school. We need to get a national guy talking up the Ponies.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Pony88' » Fri Jul 20, 2001 3:42 pm

This is the best post i have seen in a week or two.
Go RED AND BLUE
Pony88'

Postby Jim Rome » Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:05 pm

Thanks, Pony'88. Props to you.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jul 23, 2001 5:38 am

JR! YOU DA MAN1 YOU'D THINK A SCHOOL, LIKE SMU, THAT HAS ONE OF THE BEST...IF NOT 'THE' BEST...BUSINESS SCHOOL IN THE SOUTHWEST WOULD HAVE SOMEONE (AN ALUMNI!) WORK UP A MARKETING PLAN FOR SMU FOOTBALL! BUT, NAH....THAT MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE, DOESN'T IT?
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:37 pm

Yes, I too have always wondered why SMU hasn't gotten some former players to speak out for us. Craig James did mention us on occasion when he was first in the announcers booth with ESPN. A little too with CBS. Something, though, makes me wonder about others. I went to shcool with J. Ball and freshman class of 1983. They, unfortunately, played for Bobby Collins. Coach Collins was the first of our recent history of hiring entirely average coaches. Forrest Gregg has always been good to the program. While he didn't do a spectacular job at SMU, at least he had the courage (and thankfulness to his alma mater) to take up the challange. I know back in the '83-'87 era, many players were disgusted by the coaching. Maybe it left too bad a taste in their mouths?

Maybe we can find new marketing genius to come up with the next Mustang Mania!

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Return to Football