PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

David Moore

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: David Moore

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:16 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Why do I stop in this place

cause you are really really bored?
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:22 pm

Sometimes I'm looking for a higher end of information but then I just hit myself in the f****** head. You girls freak me out
One Trick Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:45 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Sometimes I'm looking for a higher end of information but then I just hit myself in the f****** head. You girls freak me out

I agree OTP
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 pm

Anyone think to offset the loss at qb that someone like collin rock might be looked at as an option there?
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:31 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:Anyone think to offset the loss at qb that someone like collin rock might be looked at as an option there?

We need Rock at safety, our best option to fill the "loss" of Moore is taking a transfer.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:43 pm

sbsmith wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:Anyone think to offset the loss at qb that someone like collin rock might be looked at as an option there?

We need Rock at safety, our best option to fill the "loss" of Moore is taking a transfer.

In that case does anyone know of any "free agents" smu is in the running for?
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:51 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

In that case does anyone know of any "free agents" smu is in the running for?

The pool has thinned out for now, it'll fill back up after spring ball when guys who lose QB competitions start transferring.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Digetydog » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:43 am

sbsmith wrote:
The pool has thinned out for now, it'll fill back up after spring ball when guys who lose QB competitions start transferring.

Exactly.

Since a transfer QB's is going to have sit out 2016, we have plenty of time to grab one after spring practices if Hicks/Colbert don't look like future starting QB's in our Spring Practices.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:34 am

SMU had folks down here in the Brazos valley late last week...there are still viable options open at QB. They are working up to the clock striking midnight, and have already started on 2016-17. It is impressive, and the coaches in the area are taking notice. So are the kids.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MadJack » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:48 pm

While I may be in the minority with what I am about to say, oh well. Aside from the "possible" issues with Moore, I am of the opinion that it is not necessarily a bad thing to not have a 2016 QB commit. First of all , you already have at least 4 QB's on scholarship, Davis will get every opportunity to hold onto his job and Hicks might just push him (from the practices I have seen he looks pretty darn good). Secondly, with no commit in 2016, the QB's with offers for 2017 may see it as an advantage to commit sooner rather than later. I would love to see the kid from Lake Travis go ahead and commit for the 2017 class. And third, that scholarship can be used on the defensive side of the ball.
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm

MadJack wrote:While I may be in the minority with what I am about to say, oh well. Aside from the "possible" issues with Moore, I am of the opinion that it is not necessarily a bad thing to not have a 2016 QB commit. First of all , you already have at least 4 QB's on scholarship, Davis will get every opportunity to hold onto his job and Hicks might just push him (from the practices I have seen he looks pretty darn good). Secondly, with no commit in 2016, the QB's with offers for 2017 may see it as an advantage to commit sooner rather than later. I would love to see the kid from Lake Travis go ahead and commit for the 2017 class. And third, that scholarship can be used on the defensive side of the ball.

Is hicks better than Colbert at this point? I ask because Colbert didn't look bad at all in his limited action last year. ..could see him developing into a solid backup if he gets beat out
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Time to raise the standards around here-we saw 10 QBs perform better than any one of our QBs did last year. I don't think we have ANY quality backup QBs that really fit this offense. This was a major FAIL for this recruiting class that hopefully can be ameliorated by finding someone who can compete with Hicks to start in 2017. But its a BUST. Finding a QB that fits this offense this year was among the highest priorities. They didn't execute a backup plan either. I'm complimentary of the Staff when they do good things but they are going to have to flush this turd of a QB search. I'm patient though in that its really 2017 that we need another QB and there is time to pick up a Division 1A transfer before that.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:35 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
MadJack wrote:While I may be in the minority with what I am about to say, oh well. Aside from the "possible" issues with Moore, I am of the opinion that it is not necessarily a bad thing to not have a 2016 QB commit. First of all , you already have at least 4 QB's on scholarship, Davis will get every opportunity to hold onto his job and Hicks might just push him (from the practices I have seen he looks pretty darn good). Secondly, with no commit in 2016, the QB's with offers for 2017 may see it as an advantage to commit sooner rather than later. I would love to see the kid from Lake Travis go ahead and commit for the 2017 class. And third, that scholarship can be used on the defensive side of the ball.

Is hicks better than Colbert at this point? I ask because Colbert didn't look bad at all in his limited action last year. ..could see him developing into a solid backup if he gets beat out

Colbert offers mobility that Hicks doesnt' have. Hicks has a better arm and is taller.
- Both were 3-star recruits from Texas (not 2-stars from Georgia). Hicks had a better offer list. It is not clear why Colbert didn't get more offers; however, he committed to SMU very early and may not have sought them out -> Moore.
- From what I heard, Hicks looked like a "Freshman" last year. But, there is a lot of upside.
- From what I saw in the Fall, Colbert is not going to "go away" in the chase to replace Davis this year or next year. He isn't Deshawn Watson, but he isn't horrible either. On a good team and behind a good OL, I think he would do very well. Unfortunately, we probably aren't going to have a "good" OL until 2017.

If Colbert ends up as the backup QB again, he will probably be the first, decent SMU backup QB in a decade.
- Who can forget McDermott having to play with an injured throwing arm b/c JJ didn't have any backup QB's capable of playing - at all.
- Who can forget Gilbert getting injured and the team missing out on a bowl game b/c Burcham couldn't move the ball - at all.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:55 pm

wasn't it McDermott who last beat TCU...at their place, no less?
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:55 pm

wasn't it McDermott who last beat TCU...at their place, no less?
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football