PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why committed recruits should keep open minds!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why committed recruits should keep open minds!

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:46 am

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.s ... om_mi.html
http://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan-foot ... m-michigan

Jim "Petrino" Harbaugh is recruiting over his own commits and pulling scholarship offers from commits. Swenson, a 4 star tackle, was their first commit of the 2016 class. Harbaugh didn't care. Worst of all, his other top choices are "full" at his position and their coaches won't give their committed players "The Harbaugh" treatment.

This is why players should keep their options open even if they really are "committed." Even if the school/coach doesn''t Harbaugh you, you never know when a 4-5 star recruit might drop in at your position.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Why committed recruits should keep open minds!

Postby friarwolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 am

I think he needs to come here.........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:12 pm

Why would any decent recruit put up with that? Michigan is not even that good, and Harbaugh is a [deleted].
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:29 pm

gostangs wrote:Why would any decent recruit put up with that? Michigan is not even that good, and Harbaugh is a [deleted].

Harbaugh was one of the best coaches in the nfl and is already on the path to being one of the best in the ncaa. He instantly made Michigan relevant again. If recruits want to run a pro system from a guy that can help get you to the league then harbaugh is your best option. Especially at qb, who wouldn't wanna play for the guy that coached Luck in college
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby footballdad » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:
gostangs wrote:Why would any decent recruit put up with that? Michigan is not even that good, and Harbaugh is a [deleted].

Harbaugh was one of the best coaches in the nfl and is already on the path to being one of the best in the ncaa. He instantly made Michigan relevant again. If recruits want to run a pro system from a guy that can help get you to the league then harbaugh is your best option. Especially at qb, who wouldn't wanna play for the guy that coached Luck in college

Erik Swenson, and 5 or 6 others who have recently decommitted
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:

Good players don't have to play for coaches who don't have a basic level of credibility. There are plenty of good coaches out there who don't behave like Harbaugh and Petrino.

BTW - I don't think luck is a great example. With his enormous talent, Luck needed a coach who wouldn't mess him up or get him hurt. Plenty of people could have pulled that off.

If my son was a QB, I would want to know who turned Trevor Boykin into a Heisman candidate.
I would want to know who turned Connor Cook (3 stars), Carson Wentz (no Stars), and Paxton Lynch (3 stars) into 1st round prospects. Lynch's other scholarship offer was from Florida A&M!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Lynch was terrible at the outset. Somebody did him some good.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:17 am

mrydel wrote:Lynch was terrible at the outset. Somebody did him some good.

SMU made him look like a heisman
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:29 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
mrydel wrote:Lynch was terrible at the outset. Somebody did him some good.

SMU made him look like a heisman

We do what we do...........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ghost » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Anything any coach tells a recruit should be taken with a "grain of salt". They are selling something and we know how that works. Bottom line is most guys should pick a university where they will want to attend, even if they don't play a sport, and what is best for their intended degree. That is why SMU is so much better than those Big 12 public schools with worthless degree programs. It is fun though to run out of a tunnel with 100,000 fans screaming but that is all over in a short time then "whatcha gonna do with the rest of your life" is a problem.
ghost
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:55 pm

ghost wrote:Anything any coach tells a recruit should be taken with a "grain of salt". They are selling something and we know how that works. Bottom line is most guys should pick a university where they will want to attend, even if they don't play a sport, and what is best for their intended degree. That is why SMU is so much better than those Big 12 public schools with worthless degree programs. It is fun though to run out of a tunnel with 100,000 fans screaming but that is all over in a short time then "whatcha gonna do with the rest of your life" is a problem.

I believe UT is ranked higher than SMU.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
ghost wrote:Anything any coach tells a recruit should be taken with a "grain of salt". They are selling something and we know how that works. Bottom line is most guys should pick a university where they will want to attend, even if they don't play a sport, and what is best for their intended degree. That is why SMU is so much better than those Big 12 public schools with worthless degree programs. It is fun though to run out of a tunnel with 100,000 fans screaming but that is all over in a short time then "whatcha gonna do with the rest of your life" is a problem.

I believe UT is ranked higher than SMU.

Comparing Big State Schools (UT, Michigan, Ohio State) rankings to Private Schools like SMU is generally folly.

Because the educational experience/cost is so different, they aren't really comparable.

I have a UT Diploma on my wall and I won't let my kids go to UT unless cost forces me to. SMU #worthit
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ATLPonyDad » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:46 pm

My son was accepted to UT in EE at Cockrell and chose SMU over UT to double major in Finance at Cox and Computer Science at Lyle Engineering. UT is a great University that was not real supportive of a double major which SMU embraces and assists their students. His largest class last semester (his first at SMU) was 28. The accessibility to Faculty and Networking opportunities are amazing at SMU. Happy parent of a Mustang...
ATLPonyDad
Recruit

Return to Football