PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016 OL Analysis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2016 OL Analysis

Postby Pony Boss » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:33 pm

The big problem in 2015 was the defense, as Stallion has pointed out multiple times.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:34 pm

ClickClack wrote:I think our OL play will be dramatically improved next year if you can project the same off season development we have heard about with coach Tru.

Way too early projection for OL:

LT: Pursley (he is going to be a very good player) Hopefully he comes in at 300lbs
LG: Chauncey Briggs
C: Braylon Hyder (need him to drop weight and come in at 300)
RG: Evan Brown
RT: Bryce Wilds

Kadarius Smith and Tadora should make the 2 deep and push for time. Always a good idea to RS OL as most are not physically ready to play, unfortunately, we don't have that luxury.

Pursley has surprised me. I didn't think he was going to be that great when he came on campus. I do wonder through if he has the physical ability to really be a dominant player. His technique is a lot better for others. I hope Briggs stays outside and there is a good battle there.

I'd look for Barns at center. And don't forget McCarty at LG. Again, probably kind of a technique guy (and at guard being physically dominant is important in this offense). But don't write him off.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ClickClack » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:51 pm

Need to get the best 5 out there, that's why they moved Briggs to the interior last year when Pursley stepped up.

Barnes has gotten physically manhandled every time he has played. If he is our starting center, its a problem.
ClickClack
All-American

Postby ClickClack » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:52 pm

Pony Boss wrote:The big problem in 2015 was the defense, as Stallion has pointed out multiple times.

It's a good thing Stallion pointed out (multiple times) that our Defense was the problem in 2015..If he didn't do that I would have continued to wonder why we were so bad!
ClickClack
All-American

Postby mavsrage311 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:45 am

JasonB wrote:
ClickClack wrote:I think our OL play will be dramatically improved next year if you can project the same off season development we have heard about with coach Tru.

Way too early projection for OL:

LT: Pursley (he is going to be a very good player) Hopefully he comes in at 300lbs
LG: Chauncey Briggs
C: Braylon Hyder (need him to drop weight and come in at 300)
RG: Evan Brown
RT: Bryce Wilds

Kadarius Smith and Tadora should make the 2 deep and push for time. Always a good idea to RS OL as most are not physically ready to play, unfortunately, we don't have that luxury.

Pursley has surprised me. I didn't think he was going to be that great when he came on campus. I do wonder through if he has the physical ability to really be a dominant player. His technique is a lot better for others. I hope Briggs stays outside and there is a good battle there.

I'd look for Barns at center. And don't forget McCarty at LG. Again, probably kind of a technique guy (and at guard being physically dominant is important in this offense). But don't write him off.

The coaching staff does love Pursley. He is our most athletic lineman easily. I've heard he's put on quite a bit of weight since the season ended. He's definitely the favorite for the starting LT job next year.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:52 am

ClickClack wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:The big problem in 2015 was the defense, as Stallion has pointed out multiple times.

It's a good thing Stallion pointed out (multiple times) that our Defense was the problem in 2015..If he didn't do that I would have continued to wonder why we were so bad!

Our defense was bad?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football