PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016 DL Analysis - The Ugly

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2016 DL Analysis - The Ugly

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:17 am

Rebel10 wrote:Also really glad to have this JC recruit that played HS ball at Denton Guyer. Williams and the other freshmen will bring some much need athleticism to the DL for years to come.

With the recent defections this has turned into another all texas class
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby footballdad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:13 am

Rebel10 wrote:Demerick Gary looked very good in the all star game. He will challenge at DE imo. He also has a very quick first step and has the athleticism imo.

Might be getting a little ahead of yourself based on his level of competition, and offer list. More likely to redshirt, than challenge at DE, if Biggurs and the Scott brothers aren't busts.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:25 am

2016 DL just might surprise
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:50 am

Charleston Pony wrote:2016 DL just might surprise

Personally, I think we will see significant signs of progress in 2016; however, I think 2017 will be the money year.

Rationale: Two Things Hold the DL back

1) Our LB play in 2015 was an abomination. In 2016, I expect it to improve, but not by much. In 2017, I think that we will have a nice squad in place.
- Seniors: Yenga, Tuiasosopo, Seals & Longoria combined for 121 (42%) of the 290 total tackles made by LBs.
- Next years squad is going to be very young (see stats below) with the Mithchell's & McNew critical to the DL's success. I predict at least 1 of our True Freshman to get a LOT of PT.

2) Our DB play in 2015 was an abomination. In 2016, I expect it to improve; however, we are going to be playing a lot of RS and True Freshman. In 2017, I think that we will have a nice squad in place.

Returning LB Tackling Stats: Tackles
Kyran Mitchell FR-RS 40
Jackson Mitchell JR-2L 38
RC Cox SO-SQ 30
Anthony Rhone SO-1L 29
Carlos Carroll SO-SQ 16
Matt McNew FR-HS 11
Nick Horton JR-1L 5
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:03 am

footballdad wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Demerick Gary looked very good in the all star game. He will challenge at DE imo. He also has a very quick first step and has the athleticism imo.

Might be getting a little ahead of yourself based on his level of competition, and offer list. More likely to redshirt, than challenge at DE, if Biggurs and the Scott brothers aren't busts.

Biggurs is playing DT mostly I thought even though he could also play DE. I would hope he does redshirt but I don't it will happen unless it is for grades or something. I think he gets time or starts. But if not and he redhsirts that would be very good as well. I am looking at the eyeball test, Just very impressed with how he played in the all star game. Extremely quick off the ball at close to 270. He is the most athletic DL we have had here in a few years from what I saw this past weekend. Now with that being said If the others are ready to roll that would just make the team better. Anyway it will be fun to see what the freshmen can do when they get here. By the way, how is your son doing (and I am not trying to be sarcastic)?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:03 am

footballdad wrote:

Hard to call someone a bust after their true freshman year they took a redshirt during. Think you need to wait until he's at least a rs Jr before we can decide that
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:14 am

Digetydog wrote:

Personally, I think we will see significant signs of progress in 2016; however, I think 2017 will be the money year.

1) Our LB play in 2015 was an abomination. In 2016, I expect it to improve, but not by much. In 2017, I think that we will have a nice squad in place.
- Seniors: Yenga, Tuiasosopo, Seals & Longoria combined for 121 (42%) of the 290 total tackles made by LBs.
- Next years squad is going to be very young (see stats below) with the Mithchell's & McNew critical to the DL's success. I predict at least 1 of our True Freshman to get a LOT of PT.

2) Our DB play in 2015 was an abomination. In 2016, I expect it to improve; however, we are going to be playing a lot of RS and True Freshman. In 2017, I think that we will have a nice squad in place.

Kyran Mitchell FR-RS 40
RC Cox SO-SQ 30
Anthony Rhone SO-1L 29
Carlos Carroll SO-SQ 16
Matt McNew FR-HS 11
Nick Horton JR-1L 5

Spring practice will be interesting. I'm wondering whether we will see some guys tried at different positions. Did Prescott Line play some LB in H.S. and in his early years here?
Charleston Pony

Postby footballdad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:06 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
footballdad wrote:

Hard to call someone a bust after their true freshman year they took a redshirt during. Think you need to wait until he's at least a rs Jr before we can decide that

Huh? Who did I call a bust? I specifically said "if Biggurs and the Scott brothers aren't busts", which means I would assume they have progressed as expected by the staff during their redshirt year, which would put them in front of Gary, and allow for him to redshirt.

:roll:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:55 pm

If we didn't play true frosh OL and DL this year, it shows you how determined the staff is to let them redshirt.
JasonB

Postby jimhagle » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:45 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

Kyran Mitchell FR-RS 40
RC Cox SO-SQ 30
Anthony Rhone SO-1L 29
Carlos Carroll SO-SQ 16
Matt McNew FR-HS 11
Nick Horton JR-1L 5

Spring practice will be interesting. I'm wondering whether we will see some guys tried at different positions. Did Prescott Line play some LB in H.S. and in his early years here?

Line went both ways in HS but hasn't played linebacker here-probably too slow for that.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:52 pm

He's basically in his natural position now, at fullback......just like his bro.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Ken McLaurin is one freshman that I expect to play next year on Defensive Line. All these guys are going to get a shot in fall drills and we will play more true and redshirt freshman on defense than probably any year since the Death Penalty. SMU has no safe positions on defense other than I'd expect Lawler to be in the lineup. Gary, Spears, Badejo and all the DBs except probably Duke are going to have a great shot at playing next year. SMU shuttled in quite a few players last year and these guys are all a major talent upgrade. Rock should probably redshirt moving to position he hasn't played since high school sophomore year then again with his Football IQ maybe not

I do hope they can redshirt the Offensive Lineman. But just remember we are going to be bringing in better and better players every year so I'm not concerned if some lose their redshirt. 2017 will be a big red shirt year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Stallion wrote:Ken McLaurin is one freshman that I expect to play next year on Defensive Line. All these guys are going to get a shot in fall drills and we will play more true and redshirt freshman on defense than probably any year since the Death Penalty. SMU has no safe positions on defense other than I'd expect Lawler to be in the lineup. Gary, Spears, Badejo and all the DBs except probably Duke are going to have a great shot at playing next year. SMU shuttled in quite a few players last year and these guys are all a major talent upgrade. Rock should probably redshirt moving to position he hasn't played since high school sophomore year then again with his Football IQ maybe not

I do hope they can redshirt the Offensive Lineman. But just remember we are going to be bringing in better and better players every year so I'm not concerned if some lose their redshirt. 2017 will be a big red shirt year

For the first time since the OL imploded in 2014, Hyder, Brown, Briggs, Wilds, and Pursley give us a decent base to start from.
Better yet, we can probably find 3-4 decent backups out of McCarty, Barns, Bates, Natour, and the true freshman.

The main issue will be how quickly the younger players develop. By 2017, they have a chance to be a very nice unit that goes 2+deep at every position. By 2017, if we get good QB play, we should have a very nice offense with AAC (or better) caliber talent at every offensive position.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:00 pm

If we made it through last year redshirting everyone on both sides of the line, I am guessing we will do the same this year. I think Gentry, Lawler, and D-Rich are the only locks on defense.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:04 pm

JasonB wrote:If we made it through last year redshirting everyone on both sides of the line, I am guessing we will do the same this year. I think Gentry, Lawler, and D-Rich are the only locks on defense.

I don't think Gentry is a lock. He was not that quick off the snap nor did he get any good push. Nobody should be a lock and they won't be.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football