PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

D-LINE & LB RECRUITING

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

D-LINE & LB RECRUITING

Postby Tailwind » Fri Jul 20, 2001 3:39 pm

I WAS JUST LOOKING AT OUR ROSTER AND I WAS WONDERING.... DOEN'T IT SEEM LIKE WE RECRUIT SMALL PLAYERS AND TRY TO WAIT TWO TO THREE YEARS DOWN THE ROAD FOR THEM TO DEVELOPE (GAINN WEIGHT)?
Mabye we should have a stadard for the proto-type Lb or D-linemen that we want like say....Texas or my state team's Florida, Florida St,and ,Miami. They usually have a standard for recruiting that 6'2-6'5 240lb
unless a 6'1 lb or lower really stands out! I think i counted 2 lb over 6'0, that's why we are punched around often like a lil brother. We also try to turn Dbs in to LB's, and if that is not the position we origannaly recruited him for then somethin is wrong with out recruting base. We need to know what we want when we recruit and for what reason. There for.. we will stay ahead if terms of recruiting for next year and only get better. Tell me what ya think!!
Tailwind

Re: D-LINE & LB RECRUITING

Postby MXTE » Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:04 pm

Don't be confused. Nebraka (equally as powerful as Florida State and Miami) has no such recruiting plan, or standard. As a matter of fact, they are famous for taking a walk on and turning him into an NCAA All-American...speaking of D-Line was it not Zorich who was not even six foot and went on to play in the pros. Most college teams at the division one level do have standards, however, this is what usually holds them back. Look at our OLINE...they all probably fit the standard, however, they suck. They have a hard time just getting in the way of a Dlineman from the opposing team. There is no cookie cutter for football players...as Coach Osbourne once said "we do a novel thing at Nebraska, we actually watch film when we recruit a player. By the way, do you think that 50% of the athletes at FSU And MIAMI could even get into SMU.
MXTE

Postby Tailwind » Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:56 pm

Yes I do belive that FSU,Miami,and Florida players can be admitted into SMU we have a couple of examples on our team.
Jonas Rutlege turn downed a scholarship to Florida and so did Travis Hunt and he had a chance to play along side with his cousin.
Trust me all of the players on these teams or not made of what the reporters makes them out to be. It only takes a couple of bad acts and the whole team is considered sour!!!! Also you can't sit here and tell me that SMU line is as big as Nebraska cause they dont even compare .. we are just makin a of our offensive linemen over the 300 mark.
Tailwind

Postby Tailwind » Fri Jul 20, 2001 6:35 pm

OOOHH and for the record.
Nebraka Imageave Volk 6-5 290
Chris Loos 6-3 310
Jon Rutherford 6-3 300
Wes Cody 6-2 300
Toniu Fonoti 6-4 335
average 6-3 307

SMU: Joey Slaten 6-6 309
Townsend Hargis6-4 254
Steve Reindl 6-3 274
J.McCarthy 6-3 294
T.Chandler 6-2 277
average 6-3 281
Your smart,You go to SMU,You do the math!!
Can anyone ELSE feel me!!!
Tailwind

Postby saguarostang » Fri Jul 20, 2001 9:26 pm

Hargis is only 254, GOD help us. He better be a tough sob to do much good at that weight.
saguarostang
Junior Varsity

Postby MXTE » Sat Jul 21, 2001 1:28 pm

Mr. Tailwind, understand this is not personal I simply want an objective view of the sport. If you are ever in Dallas let me know and I would love to discuss it with you and maybe watch a game so I can show you what I am talking about. have a good day
#1 I am not saying that all players are bad kids at FSU and MIAMI. I think Bobby Bowden has an outstanding program. Surely you are not going to tell me that SMU entrance requirements are the same as found at FSU and MU. If you are going to say that, you are truely disillusioned and the conversation stops here.
#2 My point with Nebraska is that they have turned out numerous All-Americans that were not recruited by other D1 programs and other walk ons. That is an impressive record. There is no problem with the athletes at SMU, The bottom line is they go out an play against some of the best athletes in the nation. Have you? Do you? Look at the game against Kansas.. They embarassed a group of more talented athletes. Why, because the athletes executed a scheme that took advantage of their abilities. However, in all of the OC infinite wisdom, they went away from it the rest of the year...How many games did you watch last year.
#3 I know what I am talking about I will send you a resume and a picture of my national championship ring.
MXTE

Postby Tailwind » Sat Jul 21, 2001 4:34 pm

OOOOHHHHHH Boy!!!! There you go again trying to be smart!!!! It not a Issue of how many games i've seen last year, beacause I've seen enough. For a matter of fact Was one of the few who made the Hawaii trip and also each home game, so I recommend you not go that route!!!!
And As far as ya big bad National Ring!!!
I'll send you that and more how about
A Alabama 92' national
& AFC-EAST DIVISON CHAMPIONSHIP RING!!
Tailwind

Postby SMU70Dad&Mom » Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tailwind:
<B>OOOHH and for the record.
Chris Loos 6-3 310
Jon Rutherford 6-3 300
Wes Cody 6-2 300
Toniu Fonoti 6-4 335
average 6-3 307

Townsend Hargis6-4 254
Steve Reindl 6-3 274
J.McCarthy 6-3 294
T.Chandler 6-2 277
average 6-3 281
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
SMU70Dad&Mom

Postby SMU70Dad&Mom » Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:52 am

Tailwind you have your math wrong! Townsend Hargis weighs 270 and with the help of the new strength coach and more hard work from Townsend we may see this offensive lineman at 285 before the season starts. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tailwind:
<B>OOOHH and for the record.
Chris Loos 6-3 310
Jon Rutherford 6-3 300
Wes Cody 6-2 300
Toniu Fonoti 6-4 335
average 6-3 307

Townsend Hargis6-4 254
Steve Reindl 6-3 274
J.McCarthy 6-3 294
T.Chandler 6-2 277
average 6-3 281
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
SMU70Dad&Mom

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 22, 2001 11:57 am

the weights mentioned are coming from the roster posted on the smumustangs.com football site. Those weights differ from the ones posted on mustangmaniacs.com

I'm anxious to see what weight our guys are carrying when they report for 2-a-days. With the exception of a few seasons, we've been undersized on both O & D lines for years. With as many JRs & SRs as we now have in the 2-deep, I'd like to see us start closing the gap with our opponents.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan » Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:12 pm

Question for Charleston Pony: Have you ever known ANY information on mm.com to be accurate? Me neither. I'd say go with the numbers at SMUMustangs.com until August.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby MTSURIM » Mon Jul 23, 2001 10:50 am

We need to set the record straight. When Townsend Hargis was recruited he weighed in at 285+. He lost a little baby fat and is currently working to put back on more muscle and is back up to 270+. I don't need to wait for the updated roster. I know this for a fact. I also know that by the time the season starts he will be back to and probably exceeding his recruited weight. Also, he is a tough SOB whether he is 250, 270, or 300. Don't you worry about him not getting the job done because of his size. I promise you that when he hits someone they know it. And everyone else knows it because there is a divot in the ground where the guy fell. No one is getting by him. And the rest of the line is working their hardest to get up to the ideal size for the team. The new strength coach will see to it.
MTSURIM

Postby PonyGirl » Mon Jul 23, 2001 10:55 am

Everything I've ever heard about Hargis is that he has no idea what the word "quit" means, and that he will fight with any player out there, regardless of size. We may have a real horse here.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 23, 2001 7:57 pm

Just a hunch here, but my guess is that MTSURIM is close enough to Hargis to know the real story (sounds like a parent to me). I suspected (after comparing weights from the 2 rosters) that there was baby fat being trimmed and muscle being added. Sounds like we have a determined player here; especially to be listed as the starter as a RS Frosh.

If we can dramatically improve our OL play and Luker and/or Page can improve our play at QB, we just might be the WAC's surprise team this year.

Go Ponies. Beat La Tech!!!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football