PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UC/Big 12 expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UC/Big 12 expansion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Something to keep in mind about the Pac-12...their expansion options are very limited. No one west of Texas makes any sense for them besides maybe BYU; but Utah wouldn't allow that and current Pac-12 members schools wouldn't want a fundamentalist Mormon school.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:17 pm

I just found KU to SEC to be among the more ridiculous ideas I have heard. As mentioned above this is TV and football eyeball driven. Thus Rutgers and Maryland going beig ten and not KU.

Basketball history and a few t shirts won't get it done coming from a small market.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:18 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:If the Big 12 collapses, KU would have a landing spot -- my guess would be the Big Ten. KC market, geographic fit, AAU school. What remains to be seen is whether state politics in Kansas would force them to be joined with the hip at KSU. That could make things trickier.

Well that was the bet I thought I'd eventually get to with Cox, but he didn't elaborate.

I say the B10 protects its southern flank and goes after some combination of VA, NCarolina, GA Tech or Duke (all AAU schools) over Kansas. All represent much stronger TV markets.

No way Kansas would refuse a P3 invite because of KSU, that's suicidal in this environment.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:42 am

Pretty sure the Kansas legislature addressed this issue years ago and said KU/KSU would remain together as a "package deal". Big 10 has already reached out to UNC and Ga Tech. That's when ACC upped the ante for leaving (shortly after Maryland bailed)
Charleston Pony

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:56 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Pretty sure the Kansas legislature addressed this issue years ago and said KU/KSU would remain together as a "package deal". Big 10 has already reached out to UNC and Ga Tech. That's when ACC upped the ante for leaving (shortly after Maryland bailed)

I don't believe so. At the last big shake-up, this was an issue. It all comes down to how the wind is blowing at the Regents. I wouldn't go as far as saying KU and KSU are fully severed, but if B10, PAC, et al., came calling just for KU, KU would be gone (today).

Regardless, KU is just one of the many moving pieces in all of this. I was just attempting to correct some incorrect information. This KU/KSU issue is purely opinion at this point as nobody knows how things will look in 5-6 years.

As things relate to SMU, I see several really great outcomes if we continue chopping wood and get better. With the right fan/donor support, we'll get there!!!
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:11 am

I don't believe you corrected anything. If the big 12 breaks up Kansas would not get picked up by anyone. They don't deliver anything that anyone needs. The big 10 already has the Midwest covered, and no other p-4 (at that point) conference is going to reach to Kansas to solve anything. Their market is too small. And the old theory that Kansas schools have to go together or texas schools have to go together is now wrong. The stakes are too big for the big brother syndrome.

Nothing against Kansas. They would have lots of company.
gostangs

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:54 am

gostangs wrote:I don't believe you corrected anything. If the big 12 breaks up Kansas would not get picked up by anyone. They don't deliver anything that anyone needs. The big 10 already has the Midwest covered, and no other p-4 (at that point) conference is going to reach to Kansas to solve anything. Their market is too small. And the old theory that Kansas schools have to go together or texas schools have to go together is now wrong. The stakes are too big for the big brother syndrome.

Nothing against Kansas. They would have lots of company.

I'm not going to argue with you. Your opinions on most every topic are wrong and you're wrong as [deleted] here, too. Put me on ignore. I officially don't give a [deleted] what you say on any subject.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Oldmins » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:30 pm

CoxMustang....that really wasn't very nice. Are you that sort of person all the time?
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby SMU Football Blog » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:30 pm

TV will drive expansion. Duh.

Suggest everyone read up on ESPN's current woes regarding cord cutting.

Clay Travis may be a lot of things, but these articles are worthwhile:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... rst-071215

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ars-112515

http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/14/espn-c ... -football/

My view is that nothing happens regarding realignment for the foreseeable future until ESPN and FOX have a better handle on the future of sports on TV and cable/satellite network revenues generally. And that is years away. Adding teams to the Big XII or ACC won't make anybody any more money and may cost money in the long term. The time for the Big XII and a Big XII network was a few years ago and UT got greedy and spoiled the whole thing.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:01 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:TV will drive expansion. Duh.

Suggest everyone read up on ESPN's current woes regarding cord cutting.

Clay Travis may be a lot of things, but these articles are worthwhile:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... rst-071215

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ars-112515

http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/14/espn-c ... -football/

My view is that nothing happens regarding realignment for the foreseeable future until ESPN and FOX have a better handle on the future of sports on TV and cable/satellite network revenues generally. And that is years away. Adding teams to the Big XII or ACC won't make anybody any more money and may cost money in the long term. The time for the Big XII and a Big XII network was a few years ago and UT got greedy and spoiled the whole thing.

Great point. I believe the Big 12 deal states that if they add more members, the cut per team stays the same, so the networks would pay more. I'd imagine Fox and ESPN are telling them "hell no"
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby gostangs » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Not putting you on ignore Cox - i find you amusing. And I'm right on this one. It hurts since it is true.
gostangs

Postby PonyKai » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:...wouldn't want a fundamentalist Mormon school.

I know you were using it in a different context, but there is an enormous difference between Mormons and "fundamentalist" Mormons. Huge. And the LDS loathes and despises fundamentalist Mormons.
PonyKai

Postby orguy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:38 pm

The LDS church is a "fundamentalist" religion. Just because they are not technically aligned with the breakaway sects in dixie (southern utah) that practice polygamy does not for a second imply that they are not fundamentalist.
Last edited by orguy on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orguy
All-American

Postby Pony Boss » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:45 pm

And this is how a thread gets nuked lol
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby solomouse » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:45 pm

I never thought my post would lead to this...sorry.
solomouse
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football