PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UC/Big 12 expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UC/Big 12 expansion

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:23 pm

gostangs wrote:Nobody cares about licensing and sales. Its all about TV markets and TV money. Sure - like this thing turns on t-shirt sales.

Pssst. Why do you think they pay so much?
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:23 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:A bit out of date, but close enough...

http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/clc-names-top-selling-universities

You're basing this on a list that includes WVU, Kansas & TTech in its Top 25 but excludes Ohio St, USC, UCLA or Oregon???????
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:26 pm

And if you say it's BB driven, excludes Kentucky & Duke?
SoCal_Pony

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:30 pm

All I'm saying is that your value to a potential conference is largely driven by your commercial appeal. That comes in many forms: licensing, television markets (for conference networks), etc. For a school like Rutgers, licensing didn't mean as much as it forced NY to pick up the network.

I do not think for one second KU will end up in the SEC. As in zero chance. To say that KU has virtually no value is just a funny, though.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:30 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:
smupony94 wrote:https://twitter.com/President_Bardo/status/694932766874415104

Would be a really good addition to AAC

Sure

What type of idiotic administration thinks they could play D1 FB in a dump like that....

Oops, reminds me of Ownby
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:34 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:All I'm saying is that your value to a potential conference is largely driven by your commercial appeal. That comes in many forms: licensing, television markets (for conference networks), etc. For a school like Rutgers, licensing didn't mean as much as it forced NY to pick up the network.

I do not think for one second KU will end up in the SEC. As in zero chance. To say that KU has virtually no value is just a funny, though.

I've never heard anyone say KU has no value. I have heard plenty people say this is FB & tv market driven. If that's the case, KU better hope the B12 survives.
SoCal_Pony

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:40 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:All I'm saying is that your value to a potential conference is largely driven by your commercial appeal. That comes in many forms: licensing, television markets (for conference networks), etc. For a school like Rutgers, licensing didn't mean as much as it forced NY to pick up the network.

I've never heard anyone say KU has no value. I have heard plenty people say this is FB & tv market driven. If that's the case, KU better hope the B12 survives.

See gostangs comment above.

KU has a landing spot if/when B12 dies. Everyone always forgets, there's HUGE value/$ in college BB (it absolutely pays the bills for the NCAA). The issue is that the Tourney structure makes it so more schools share in the split (far more). Football, on the other hand, doesn't need the NCAA and can cut them out and sign TV deals directly. As long as a school adds value (in any number of ways), they'll stay in the discussion.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:58 pm

If B12 falls, it's ACC or bust for KU.

I actually think our chances of joining the PAC-x are as good as KU's.
SoCal_Pony

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:02 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:If B12 falls, it's ACC or bust for KU.

Nope. Happy to bet you a bar tab on that one. It's just going to take a few years to settle! :D
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 pm

TCU sucks...okay?!?!
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:If B12 falls, it's ACC or bust for KU.

Nope. Happy to bet you a bar tab on that one. It's just going to take a few years to settle! :D

Cox,

KU would have jumped at a B10 offer, instead they selected Rutgers and Maryland, a tv market driven decision. We both agree SEC is remote. That leaves only PAC-x & ACC if B12 implodes.

No way California embraces Lawrence, KS, a city with less than 90,000 people.

That leaves KU with either the ACC, a watered down conference with the likes of SMU, Baylor & Iowa St or a BE BB-only type of arrangement. That's the basis for my ACC or Bust comment.

What am I missing that you would bet a bar tab over.
SoCal_Pony

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Ok
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:34 pm

If the Big 12 collapses, KU would have a landing spot -- my guess would be the Big Ten. KC market, geographic fit, AAU school. What remains to be seen is whether state politics in Kansas would force them to be joined with the hip at KSU. That could make things trickier. If SEC got shut down by ACC schools, then I don't think KU would be that far fetched -- although OU would definitely be ahead of them in the pecking order. It wouldnt hurt if they could show somewhat of a pulse in football.

I dont think Big 12 expansion is imminent, but I could be wrong -- Texas is pretty happy and they drive the boat. Would the Pac-12 take OU without Texas? If so, Texas might consider adding teams to appease Boren, but otherwise, whats the point? Besides BYU, no one really brings any added value to the table. And BYU presents its own problems with the whole Sunday thing and just generally being weird. You really think Texas wants to share a conference with UConn and Cincy? Please. And with the way Herman is recruiting at UH right now, why give him a leg up? Thats just more competition for in-state talent.

For us, these are the two best-case scenarios I can come up with:

1. Big 12 implodes with Texas, OU, Tech, and OSU going to the Pac-12. We join a watered-down Big 12 with the likes of TCU, Baylor, WVU, Memphis, Cincy, Houston, etc.

2. We start winning in football, Big 12 stays together by adding Cincy and BYU. Houston keeps up their winning ways and we market ourselves as a package deal to the Pac-12 to give them access to Texas for TV/recruiting. Admittedly far-fetched, but all of this stuff seemed far-fetched ten years ago.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:58 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:If the Big 12 collapses, KU would have a landing spot -- my guess would be the Big Ten. KC market, geographic fit, AAU school. What remains to be seen is whether state politics in Kansas would force them to be joined with the hip at KSU. That could make things trickier. If SEC got shut down by ACC schools, then I don't think KU would be that far fetched -- although OU would definitely be ahead of them in the pecking order. It wouldnt hurt if they could show somewhat of a pulse in football.

I dont think Big 12 expansion is imminent, but I could be wrong -- Texas is pretty happy and they drive the boat. Would the Pac-12 take OU without Texas? If so, Texas might consider adding teams to appease Boren, but otherwise, whats the point? Besides BYU, no one really brings any added value to the table. And BYU presents its own problems with the whole Sunday thing and just generally being weird. You really think Texas wants to share a conference with UConn and Cincy? Please. And with the way Herman is recruiting at UH right now, why give him a leg up? Thats just more competition for in-state talent.

For us, these are the two best-case scenarios I can come up with:

1. Big 12 implodes with Texas, OU, Tech, and OSU going to the Pac-12. We join a watered-down Big 12 with the likes of TCU, Baylor, WVU, Memphis, Cincy, Houston, etc.

2. We start winning in football, Big 12 stays together by adding Cincy and BYU. Houston keeps up their winning ways and we market ourselves as a package deal to the Pac-12 to give them access to Texas for TV/recruiting. Admittedly far-fetched, but all of this stuff seemed far-fetched ten years ago.

With UH trying to expand to a medical school as part of expansion and improvement of their academic profile, they could be on their way to being academically viable for the Pac 12. That would be highly beneficial to both UH and SMU providing the Texas footprint for their conference. Plus, growth of our programs could rekindle the SMU USC rivalry that I heard rumblings of back in my days on the hilltop.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football