PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UC/Big 12 expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UC/Big 12 expansion

Postby Digetydog » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:27 am

Oddball Note: A few years ago, I would have said there was ZERO shot that Uconn makes it into the B12. Now, with ESPN losing subscribers and with CT losing jobs left/right, CT politicians have begun grumbling about "CT Jobs" and ESPN. Bottom line, the CT government may be willing to give ESPN serious tax incentives IF Uconn gets in a P5 conference.

Throw in the fact that there are a lot of Uconn grads working in Bristol, it is no longer impossible that Uconn could get the call.
Last edited by Digetydog on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bo Darville » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:14 pm

I thought I heard once that the non-Texas schools all want an equal balance of Texas and non-Texas schools in the Big XII. If they add Cincinnati and BYU then they've got to add Houston and SMU. I'll assume we're in until further notice.
Bo Darville

Postby Comet » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:00 am

Bo Darville wrote:I thought I heard once that the non-Texas schools all want an equal balance of Texas and non-Texas schools in the Big XII. If they add Cincinnati and BYU then they've got to add Houston and SMU. I'll assume we're in until further notice.

Depends when you heard that. The realignment atmosphere changes dramatically from year to year.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:15 am

Bo Darville wrote:I thought I heard once that the non-Texas schools all want an equal balance of Texas and non-Texas schools in the Big XII. If they add Cincinnati and BYU then they've got to add Houston and SMU. I'll assume we're in until further notice.

Remember, the Big XII is just a temporary spot for us, until the SEC invite comes. The SEC is just saving up every penny they can to make us a good enough offer.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:15 am

Bo Darville wrote: I'll assume we're in until further notice.

:lol:
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:49 pm

But after UVA, UNC, go to B1G, the ACC will look west. We fit perfectly with the U, WF, Duke, GT.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby RI Stang » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:30 pm

EastStang wrote:But after UVA, UNC, go to B1G, the ACC will look west. We fit perfectly with the U, WF, Duke, GT.

Agree - this has always seemed to me like the best overall fit of schools for us and greatly improves exposure for the ACC as well in this part of the country. Dare to dream...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:35 pm

EastStang wrote:But after UVA, UNC, go to B1G, the ACC will look west. We fit perfectly with the U, WF, Duke, GT.

Yeah because the ACC will definitely be looking for more tiny private schools after losing big state flagships like UVA and UNC :wink:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:29 am

sbsmith wrote:

Yeah because the ACC will definitely be looking for more tiny private schools after losing big state flagships like UVA and UNC :wink:

EastStang made the assumption that the ACC loses 2 schools to the B10 and replaces them with 2 Texas schools, SMU & Coog High.

Maybe far fetched in your opinion, but tell me 3 better scenarios for the ACC.
SoCal_Pony

Postby sbsmith » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:EastStang made the assumption that the ACC loses 2 schools to the B10 and replaces them with 2 Texas schools, SMU & Coog High.

Cincy and UConn would be first up. We'd only get in if the ACC lost a lot more schools.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby peruna81 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:44 am

IF we were ever to get a P5 invite, and IF it was to the ACC, Mrs peruna81 (FSU grad) would be riding herd on me each year....wait, that already is happening...

On to the ACC!
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:43 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:EastStang made the assumption that the ACC loses 2 schools to the B10 and replaces them with 2 Texas schools, SMU & Coog High.

Cincy and UConn would be first up. We'd only get in if the ACC lost a lot more schools.

You mentioned 1, which I happen to agree would be strong candidates. Can you think of 2 more scenarios?, I can't, which means we should be in the discussion.

I do think its funny you criticize SMU football attendance and then offer up UConn.

BTW, Dallas and Houston are ranked #5 & #10 respectively in terms of TV market size. Cincy and UConn (Hartford) rank #36 & #30. Stated another way, the Dallas TV market itself is over 40% greater than Cincy and UConn combined. Dallas and Houston 165% greater.

Texas trending up, Connecticut trending down.
SoCal_Pony

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:38 pm

First UVA is not a flagship school, VT is. Secondly, UVA and UNC (except for their little recent problem) are State Ivys. Thus, the private schools like the U, like WF and Duke will not want to replace them with glorified community colleges like UH, Cincy and UConn. Both schools have begged to join and both schools have gotten thumbs down (however, UVA and UNC were two of the blackballs). FSU, GT, Clemson and VT would love to recruit in Texas where the studs are. My guess is that the privates would ask for one school of their choice and the publics one school of their choice which is why SMU might have a chance.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Digetydog » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

You mentioned 1, which I happen to agree would be strong candidates. Can you think of 2 more scenarios?, I can't, which means we should be in the discussion.

I do think its funny you criticize SMU football attendance and then offer up UConn.

BTW, Dallas and Houston are ranked #5 & #10 respectively in terms of TV market size. Cincy and UConn (Hartford) rank #36 & #30. Stated another way, the Dallas TV market itself is over 40% greater than Cincy and UConn combined. Dallas and Houston 165% greater.

Texas trending up, Connecticut trending down.

While you logic would hold, Uconn has longstanding relationships and rivalries with many of the northern ACC teams. From a travel perspective, it would be very easy to add them.

Plus, I was very serious when I pointed out how the financial problems with the CT budget could affect things. Simply put, the budget and tax situation is a mess. Big employers (GE) are leaving.

If it takes an enormous tax break to keep ESPN in Bristol (and Democrats in power), Governor Moron Malloy might be able to justify throwing tax breaks at ESPN if they help get Uconn into a P5 conference.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:30 pm

EastStang wrote: FSU, GT, Clemson and VT would love to recruit in Texas where the studs are. My guess is that the privates would ask for one school of their choice and the publics one school of their choice which is why SMU might have a chance.

Anything short of adding UT isn't going to do much to impact the ACCs recruiting in Texas. The top kids will still head to the Big 12 and SEC. Tulane looks a lot more like the ACC privates than we do, why not add them? Plus there's a chance that UVA and UNC leaving will set off a feeding frenzy which could leave the conference virtually picked clean.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

PreviousNext

Return to Football