PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UC/Big 12 expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UC/Big 12 expansion

Postby sbsmith » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:38 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
You mentioned 1, which I happen to agree would be strong candidates. Can you think of 2 more scenarios?, I can't, which means we should be in the discussion.

I do think its funny you criticize SMU football attendance and then offer up UConn.

BTW, Dallas and Houston are ranked #5 & #10 respectively in terms of TV market size. Cincy and UConn (Hartford) rank #36 & #30. Stated another way, the Dallas TV market itself is over 40% greater than Cincy and UConn combined. Dallas and Houston 165% greater.

Texas trending up, Connecticut trending down.

There aren't a lot of scenarios in which the ACC loses UVA and UNC and stays viable while backfilling with G5 schools. UConn/Cincy is about the only one but I think there's ultimately no way that league stays together once the other P5s start targeting them.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:57 pm

The leftovers of the ACC: U, Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, U and VT have some history with Cincy in football (UConn joined late in football). Duke, WF, NC State, Clemson, FSU, GT have no history with either school. Playing games in Texas gives the team a better opportunity to recruit in the state if there are conference teams in the state. I don't know who would pick clean the ACC if UVa and UNC left. The Big Ten would have all they want. The SEC won't take Clemson, FSU or GT due to in state rivals blackballs. That might leave the B12, but which ACC schools would help the B12, Clemson, FSU and GT. Would they bolt? Not sure if they would or not. That would leave the rest, begging for new teams from other conferences. Adding SMU would strengthen their hoops brand as would UConn. Adding UH and Memphis might increase their football brand. Either way, an ACC raid would be good for SMU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby sbsmith » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:44 pm

EastStang wrote:I don't know who would pick clean the ACC if UVa and UNC left. The Big Ten would have all they want. The SEC won't take Clemson, FSU or GT due to in state rivals blackballs. That might leave the B12, but which ACC schools would help the B12, Clemson, FSU and GT. Would they bolt? Not sure if they would or not. That would leave the rest, begging for new teams from other conferences. Adding SMU would strengthen their hoops brand as would UConn. Adding UH and Memphis might increase their football brand. Either way, an ACC raid would be good for SMU.

It would either be stay in the ACC and watch them backfill with G5 schools or go to the Big 12 where there are several major football brands. Seems obvious what they would do in that instance. The SEC might have some interest in NC State and Va Tech since it would get them into NC/VA and it would help diminish the ACC so that they no longer have to treat it as a fellow power league. Not sure how much we would strengthen the ACCs basketball brand since we've only had a few decent seasons, Memphis has much more to sell on that front. An ACC raid would be good for SMU but that conference will probably end up being bumped from the power ranks.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby froglicious » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:49 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:TV will drive expansion. Duh.

Suggest everyone read up on ESPN's current woes regarding cord cutting.

Clay Travis may be a lot of things, but these articles are worthwhile:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... rst-071215

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ars-112515

http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/14/espn-c ... -football/

My view is that nothing happens regarding realignment for the foreseeable future until ESPN and FOX have a better handle on the future of sports on TV and cable/satellite network revenues generally. And that is years away. Adding teams to the Big XII or ACC won't make anybody any more money and may cost money in the long term. The time for the Big XII and a Big XII network was a few years ago and UT got greedy and spoiled the whole thing.

Couldn't be worse timing for the BIG Ten with their TV renegotiation coming up. Same with adding two to the big12 without dilution. Two years ago probably works with 2 out of mix of Cincy, UConn, BYU and UH. Not sure now. I would think the CCG would offset any dilution.

We have a history with Cincy and I think they offer quite a bit. We also have a history with BYU and they are toxic, sore little [deleted] that cause nothing but turmoil. Not to mention...try finding some booze or even a good cup of coffee in that city.

My 2 cents.
froglicious
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football