PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Are We In Trouble At QB With The Loss of D.M. To Memphis?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Are We In Trouble At QB With The Loss of D.M. To Memphis

Postby SMU 86 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:23 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I'm thinking we land Brewer when the time comes

We may even go for multiple QB's in this class.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:29 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:I'm thinking we land Brewer when the time comes

We may even go for multiple QB's in this class.

Hope so. At least one true QB and one athlete/QB type that can be moved to a different position if necessary would be ideal.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm

Point being, for the Morris offense particularly, to click on all cylinders, you need a QB who can run and pass equally well, AND stay healthy while getting hit. Tough to find that guy, even tougher in the AAC, competing against the rest of the P5 for that guy.

Davis can obviously run it, can't pass it. Unfortunately I think Hicks is a capable enough passer in the Morris offense, just not a good enough runner.

Imperative Morris finds one or two of those guys for 2017 class, if he ever hopes to put the 'Clemson' version on full display in the AAC.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 pm

football dad is correct. We can band aid again in 2016 but we need another couple of options for 2017. Nobody knows this more than Chad - I would guess the transfer feelers are already out.
gostangs

Postby Digetydog » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 pm

smumustang1980 wrote:I thought as much.

Step away from the ledge. One of the HUGE advantages of running the spread is that it allows teams a lot of flexibility at the QB position.
1) Morris and Company have been watching Colbert and Hicks for a while now. They didn't panic - you shouldn't.
2) Next year, there will be a lot of quality QB's available.
3) The Spread Protects us in a way the RnS couldn't
- If you have a QB that is a great passer (but a little less mobile), you run certain plays more often.
- If you have a QB that is a great runner (but not a great passer), you run plays that take advantage of it.
Examples:
- Clemson's QB is never going to play QB in the NFL, but he is a great CFB QB because he is a great runner and a more than adequate passer. OSU's Braxton Miller was a winning QB in CFB, but is a WR candidate in the NFL.
- While he probably switch to another position at some, Ke'Mon Freeman (with a lot of work on his passing technique) might be a viable spread QB. In a RnS. he would have no shot.

4) If Spring Practice ends and Hicks hasn't made significant progress, we will probably look to add a QB transfer. Even if they have to sit out 2016, they would be eligible in 2017.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby alyssa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:51 pm

I was right about this one. I knew he was not going to sign. I kept hoping Morris would figure it out and find someone else.
alyssa
All-American

Postby ponyup2018 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:56 pm

It seems to me like there's no reason to panic. Everyone was thrilled to land Hicks last year and now we're casting him off before he even takes a snap? From everything I've read, Hicks seems to be developing just fine to take over after Davis moves on (or even push Davis during the offseason this year). Sure it would have been nice to have Moore to add another option to the fold, but I don't think losing him is as big a deal as people are making it out to be.
ponyup2018

Postby Big Hoss » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:56 pm

Digetydog wrote:4) If Spring Practice ends and Hicks hasn't made significant progress, we will probably look to add a QB transfer. Even if they have to sit out 2016, they would be eligible in 2017.

I agree that is probably where HCCM has his target set next.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:00 pm

footballdad wrote:Point being, for the Morris offense particularly, to click on all cylinders, you need a QB who can run and pass equally well, AND stay healthy while getting hit. Tough to find that guy, even tougher in the AAC, competing against the rest of the P5 for that guy.

Davis can obviously run it, can't pass it. Unfortunately I think Hicks is a capable enough passer in the Morris offense, just not a good enough runner.

Imperative Morris finds one or two of those guys for 2017 class, if he ever hopes to put the 'Clemson' version on full display in the AAC.

That said, I was really surprised at the few zone reads that were called with Matt at QB. He got most of his yards either on a designed power run or a scramble on a pass play.

I think CM is perfectly happy with QBs of the nature he had at LT where they can run the ball just well enough but can really sling the ball around. That is Hicks, Gilbert, Brewer. He also likes to take athletic QBs in the hope that he hits a home run - the guy who can run crazy and throw the ball well.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Nobody is casting Hicks aside

The expectation for a quality program is to sign a great QB every year

The expectation is to be 3-4 deep at every position

Its just been so long since we've been a quality program that we've forgotten that

See UT, A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and UH. They all stack QBs 4-5 deep (have you guys realized yet what UH has on the bench at QB?). Now not all of these guys are going to end up being studs-but all of them were recruiting hits. SMU has poor depth at QB for any one that follows recruiting especially for a school with a QB job opening up in 2017
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 pm

Digetydog wrote:- Clemson's QB is never going to play QB in the NFL

Wrong
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:15 pm

sbsmith wrote:

Wrong

Agreed. Watson is a stud.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby smu2004 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:17 pm

sbsmith wrote:

Wrong

Hahaha...Watson would be the first pick in the draft if he were allowed to go pro...nice try though.
smu2004
Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:46 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

Wrong

Agreed. Watson is a stud.

Although Watson is a phenomenal CFB player, he isn't in a system that forces him to make the "pro" reads or the "pro" throws. Although I hope that I am wrong, I see him as more like Vince Young, Johnny Football, RGIII than Cam Newton.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:53 pm

Digetydog wrote:
Although Watson is a phenomenal CFB player, he isn't in a system that forces him to make the "pro" reads or the "pro" throws. Although I hope that I am wrong, I see him as more like Vince Young, Johnny Football, RGIII than Cam Newton.

So you see him being a 1st round pick at QB because that's what all those guys you listed were.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

PreviousNext

Return to Football