PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ryan Becker

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ryan Becker

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:16 pm

If Gaines is so great then why did Coach Morris go on and on in Rau's video discussion that they didn't have anybody to do what Morris thinks Rau can provide. "They had to address that need this year". He called that position essential to run offense with Tempo. He specifically said they need someone to create mis-matches with the defense. Morris wants someone that can put his hands on the turf to help the running game, come out of the backfield, flex outside or set the edge-depending on the situation. Versatility creates mismatches. Gaines had a mediocre year- Gaines was not a great blocker last year and dropped a lot of balls too. Rau is 2 inches taller than Gaines. Rau has strengths that Gaines hasn't shown. Gaines has a lot to prove this year and in any event this offense when fully implemented uses multiple TE/HBacks. Remember I've been saying since mid-season that Rau might push Gaines very early in his career. Go listen to the Video
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Look, I am not docking Rau. He is the most complete TE we have recruited, because he can move, has hands, and can block. Get it.

Totally get the limitations of Gaines - Rau is obviously a better blocker right now than Gaines is. No doubt. Obviously if the kid is Witten or Cosbie, nobody is going to redshirt him.

I'm just saying that Thedford, or Herndon, or Kaufman (I couldn't remember which one switched away from TE) are supposed to be more "complete" TE than Gaines and I would expect them to fill TE 2 and TE 3. CM has referred to Gaines in the past as a potential NFL guy, so I don't think he is looking to bench him (although I will say that with so many explosive options at WR, a more traditional TE makes sense).

If Rau comes in and is Witten, of course he is going to leapfrog and he and Gaines will be 1-2. However, if he is anything less than that (even if less means he is going to be a pretty good college TE), my guess is he gets redshirted. Morris isn't going to lift a redshirt just for someone to get caught in a logjam of options. He is going to lift a redshirt because a player can either start or get major time as the TE2.
JasonB

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Gains came in with the hype that he was going to be a special athlete. He had the size, speed and looks of a great TE. Problem was that JJ never really ran offensive formations that effectively used the TE position. Gains continued to be an athlete with promise, but little accomplishment. I could not figure out why he was apparently not living up to his hype and/or why the offense was not using his apparent talent. Last year looked like his time had come with a new staff and better suited offensive. I agree with Stallion that Gaines did not distinguish himself last season as a blocker, dropped too many easy passes and appeared to have several games wherein the game plans had him featured in the offense, but failed to sufficiently impress and was relegated to a lesser role. He does have much to prove and needs to finally have a break out season.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:13 am

We played 3 TE's last year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:18 am

Rebel10 wrote:We played 3 TE's last year.

We had a rotating door of players who spent time at TE last year :). I' just saying with the guys we got in last year's class, we aren't going to lift this guy's redshirt for a handful of plays. He is only going to get his redshirt lifted if he is expected to play about 50% of the offensive snaps.
JasonB

Postby mavsrage311 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 am

My best guess is that there's no way Corey Rau gets redshirted. He will play, and play early. I think Becker is a good candidate for a redshirt as everyone is acknowledging that he's got a lot of weight to put on.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:57 am

mavsrage311 wrote:My best guess is that there's no way Corey Rau gets redshirted. He will play, and play early. I think Becker is a good candidate for a redshirt as everyone is acknowledging that he's got a lot of weight to put on.

The question is will he be better than hunter Herndon/Mitchell kaufman on 8/31/16. They will have gone through 2 summer camps, 2 fall camps, 1 season, 1 off season, and 1 spring. If rau is even in the same ball park as them I bet he gets redshirted. I don't agree with JasonB all the time but I see absolutely no point in playing a true freshman when there are literally 3 people that can likely at least perform the job at the same level he can this year. Unless he is the real deal and is going to be a big difference maker THIS YEAR then redshirt him. Everyone else is leaps and bounds ahead of him in scheme conditioning/strength, and just adjusting to college life. That's not to say that he doesn't have best potential of the tight ends on the roster, but he isn't there yet.

No reason to play a true freshman for a handful of snaps. Building a solid roster here, not a june jones roster. For all of you that complained that June burned too many redshirts you guys are awfully quick to say we should forgo redshirts on guys that don't have anywhere to fit on the field. E.g ben hicks last year as a true freshman when there's Colbert and davis, and a crappy offensive line and very little talent around him.

We are playing the long game. We do this so we dont have situations like jeremy Johnson 2010 1 rec, 6 yds or pope 2 carries 5 yds, Kenan Holman playing in spots as a frosh and not coming on until his senior year in 2013 and then having the 2014 melt down. Team is not expected to go to a bowl this year so stock up the roster and build for 2017 and beyond.

I will retract my statement if he comes in and and plays lights out and is worthy of the number 2 spot.
Last edited by vielsiehorsepower on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:05 am

mavsrage311 wrote:My best guess is that there's no way Corey Rau gets redshirted. He will play, and play early. I think Becker is a good candidate for a redshirt as everyone is acknowledging that he's got a lot of weight to put on.

I think Becker redshirts as well. Plus Chad Morris said he can play about 3 different positions.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Coach Morris was quoted on Scout yesterday as stating that he will be much more aggressive in not redshirting this freshman class. He estimated he is going to play "18-20 heck he might play all 25". There is a science to turning over a roster, redshirting and rebuilding a program from scratch. I've been trying to explain this since Morris got here.

As Uncle Bob told Bud in Urban Cowboy when he was learning to ride the mechanical bull. "I can teach how to ride--but ya goin' to have to listen to me" Lesson No. 1-Ryan Becker would appreciate this:

http://www.barrycorbin.com/sounds/urban ... ullwin.wav
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Pony147 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:58 pm

If Chad believes that Becker has a bright future on the OL, then he needs to redshirt
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 pm

Pony147 wrote:If Chad believes that Becker has a bright future on the OL, then he needs to redshirt

I don't think many will redshirt but Becker will probably be one of the ones that do redshirt to put on some weight.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:35 pm

18-20 that Morris mentioned is even more than I expect-but on defense they are going to play a bunch especially when you include redshirt freshman and first year transfers

Stallion

Previous

Return to Football