PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ryan Becker

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ryan Becker

Postby ponyte » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:26 pm

I know he played the Blind Side tackle in HS but the SMU Mustang page has him as a TE. I love his size, quickness and determination to hold a block. At the TE position he could really have an impact. Often at the HS level good blockers don't go to the end of the whistle. On the brief film I saw, this guy does. Really like the potential in this kid.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ryan Becker

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:29 pm

the idea is to start him at TE because he only weighs about 228 on a 6-6 frame. Looks kind of like a swimmer. But his skill set- quick feet, long arms would make an ideal Blind side Offensive Tackle once he gets into a Training program. I hope they just redshirt him. We are pretty loaded at TE. I love Corey Rau-one of my favorite recruits-looks like a Novacek, Cosbie or Whitten pro-type mobile, pass catching TE and H-Back in College. Almost 20 yards per catch is great for TE/HBack. Great blocker too. Morris made it pretty clear he will play early
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyte » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Stallion wrote:the idea is to start him at TE because he only weighs about 228 on a 6-6 frame. Looks kind of like a swimmer. But his skill set- quick feet, long arms would make an ideal Blind side Offensive Tackle once he gets into a Training program

Size will spell his future but what little I saw, this guy could be a Hades of a TE. He has size, quickness ,great feet, balance and appears to be able to move down the field. And he can already block! I haven't been this excited about a potential TE at SMU in a very long time.

You are correct, if he puts on a bunch of muscle, he moves closer to the ball.
ponyte

Postby Digetydog » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:35 pm

ponyte wrote:I know he played the Blind Side tackle in HS but the SMU Mustang page has him as a TE. I love his size, quickness and determination to hold a block. At the TE position he could really have an impact. Often at the HS level good blockers don't go to the end of the whistle. On the brief film I saw, this guy does. Really like the potential in this kid.

Sometimes, a TE is there to catch pass and block a little. Sometimes, they are essentially the "outside tackle." If they want to give him early playing time, working him into the rotation as a TE in run blocking situations is a smart move.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:45 pm

ponyte wrote:I know he played the Blind Side tackle in HS but the SMU Mustang page has him as a TE. I love his size, quickness and determination to hold a block. At the TE position he could really have an impact. Often at the HS level good blockers don't go to the end of the whistle. On the brief film I saw, this guy does. Really like the potential in this kid.

Check out the clip of coach and Craig James discussing Becker. They mentioned many of the same things including how he goes til the whistle.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:12 pm

I would like to see both redshirt. We have Gaines and last year's recruit to leverage next season... let them grow!
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:19 pm

I doubt it-SMU uses multi-TE formations including some with a 3rd H-back. SMU doesn't need to over redshirt in 2016. If we do-2017 will be disappointing with guys like Kevin Thomas just getting acclimated. Rau is physically ready to play. We want them to get their feet wet in 2016 so they can run in 2017. Better recruits are coming year over year.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Stallion wrote:I doubt it-SMU uses multi-TE formations including some with a 3rd H-back. SMU doesn't need to over redshirt in 2016. If we do-2017 will be disappointing with guys like Kevin Thomas just getting acclimated. Rau is physically ready to play. We want them to get their feet wet in 2016 so they can run in 2017. Better recruits are coming year over year.

I agree if the guy we got last year isn't any good. Otherwise, I would hate to burn a red shirt if he isn't going to get significant time.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 pm

you notice the SID's handout said he had UT and A&M offers-I don't know if and when they were commitable but he did report that UT was coming after him strong. That's what I saw in his videos as the season progressed-perfectly tailored for the SMU offense as both an H-Back, TE and pass catcher.

Morris: "We didn't have somebody like that last year[ who can flex out, create mis-matches and set the edge]" and that is what is needed to run this offense uptempo. "We had to address that need this year"

He's Doug Cosbie, Jay Novack and Whitten when they were young and could run-but also is a physical blocker. "We expect Corey to come in an address that need"
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stallion

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:40 pm

ponyte wrote:
Stallion wrote:the idea is to start him at TE because he only weighs about 228 on a 6-6 frame. Looks kind of like a swimmer. But his skill set- quick feet, long arms would make an ideal Blind side Offensive Tackle once he gets into a Training program

Size will spell his future but what little I saw, this guy could be a Hades of a TE. He has size, quickness ,great feet, balance and appears to be able to move down the field. And he can already block! I haven't been this excited about a potential TE at SMU in a very long time.

Yeah looks like he may even have the potential to outdo that block that one tight end did on the pitch..
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:40 pm

ponyte wrote:

Yeah looks like he may even have the potential to outdo that block that one tight end did on the pitch..
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby ponyte » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Most kids can play on Saturday. A few can play on Sunday. He looks like he has that potential.
ponyte

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:24 pm

Stallion wrote:I doubt it-SMU uses multi-TE formations including some with a 3rd H-back. SMU doesn't need to over redshirt in 2016. If we do-2017 will be disappointing with guys like Kevin Thomas just getting acclimated. Rau is physically ready to play. We want them to get their feet wet in 2016 so they can run in 2017. Better recruits are coming year over year.

You are right on it Stallion. There will not be any over redshirting in 2016. If can play then put them on the field. Too many June Jones recruits still on the team to try to redshirt a lot of players.

Billy Embody ‏@BillyEmbody 2h2 hours ago

#SMU HC Chad Morris told me after his press conference that he will be more aggressive with playing players than last year. Less redshirts.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 pm

Aggressive yes. Listening tonight, especially at LB. But Morris isn't going to blow a kid's redshirt if they are third string. Gaines is #1. If nobody from last year is good I think he steps in. But I think they had high hopes for the frosh last year.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:01 pm

JasonB wrote:Aggressive yes. Listening tonight, especially at LB. But Morris isn't going to blow a kid's redshirt if they are third string. Gaines is #1. If nobody from last year is good I think he steps in. But I think they had high hopes for the frosh last year.

You do know that you can play 3 TE's? Especacially if have have double TE sets at times and it does not mean that Hunter Herndon (I guess you only remember JJ recruits name) is not good. But I was referring to team as a whole. As Stallion pointed out the next classes are only going to get better in the quality of talent so they need to start replacing the JJ recruits as soon as possible to get them playing time and get ready for a run in 2017.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Football