PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2016 Roster - Who Leaves?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2016 Roster - Who Leaves?

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:02 am

Rebel10 wrote:Coach Morris said that SMU had over recruited at OL during the June Jones years so I would think some of them would be transferring out after this semester.

In quantity only, not quality :lol:
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:04 am

JasonB wrote:Also, keep in mind that there was a lot of mention of academics in the class that came in which makes me wonder if there might be a redshirt that struggled and didn't make grades.]

Are you referring to the 2015 class of freshmen?

I think I read that Galliard hosted one of the players, I doubt he is going to be pushed out.

And that's good to hear. Any info on how he's looked at all? I haven't heard anything and I'd hope he can contribute
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 am

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
JasonB wrote:Also, keep in mind that there was a lot of mention of academics in the class that came in which makes me wonder if there might be a redshirt that struggled and didn't make grades.]

Are you referring to the 2015 class of freshmen?

I think I read that Galliard hosted one of the players, I doubt he is going to be pushed out.

And that's good to hear. Any info on how he's looked at all? I haven't heard anything and I'd hope he can contribute

One of the services or Morris had mentioned that he was a surprise early in camp, but that is all I heard.

The way Morris worded things last night it sure sounded like the space was already available on the roster for 2 blueshirts, so I think if people are leaving, they already left at the semester break.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:26 am

blueshirts aren't going to be counters until January 2017 if they really are blueshirts. Not going to be a problem-so much deadwood to trim

"Meanwhile, blueshirts represent the newest loophole for FBS programs to accumulate depth while not affecting their annual numbers. Like grayshirt recruits, blueshirts are counted toward the next season’s scholarship total.

There is one distinct difference, however. Unlike grayshirts, a blueshirt is able to enroll and participate in team events in the fall. This allows programs to get the best of both worlds: FBS schools can delay a scholarship for the following year, allowing them to over-sign beyond the 25-scholarship limit, and get the use of a prospect immediately rather than waiting until the following spring.

The use of a blueshirt was first popularized by New Mexico State, which would support its numbers by enrolling prospects right after the beginning of the fall semester and then place them on scholarship. Tennessee has also embraced the use of blueshirts under coach Butch Jones."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /79603750/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 am

The blueshirt doesn't count against our 25 this year, but they would count against the 85 in the fall.
JasonB

Postby Junior » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:48 am

i think Prime Jr. has a place on the team.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:55 am

Look for any out of state kids that aren't big contributors to not come back (Koonce and Line already) Morris doesn't really want to run off Texas kids unless he has to. After out of state kids, look for current RS JRs who have probably already gotten their degree. After that, any midget R&S Wrs that have been way recruited over.

Don't think Chimichanga will be back for sure.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:38 am

JasonB wrote:We have 26 coming in (You already have Thomas listed), so have to get down to 59. 9 players (you have 68 players listed above).

Mitchell was put on scholarship, but those aren't guaranteed beyond a year. That is what I was trying to say before. Cox, Mitchell, Roberts, Stotts. Halverson, Holloway. 3 more.

I would guess a few players who saw PT at corner at the end of last year were probably auditioning, but that is only a guess with no inside information. Also, keep in mind that there was a lot of mention of academics in the class that came in which makes me wonder if there might be a redshirt that struggled and didn't make grades.

Since Morris made a statement about rewarding hard work by giving the walk-ons schollys in the first place, I don't think he will pull them unless they do something "wrong." SInce both Cox and Mitchell got PT last year, I figure they are going to keep them.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:16 pm

SMU 86 wrote:Didn't Halverson transfer?

I haven't heard this. But his time at receiver is done so if he gets pushed out of the 2 deep at cb and just wants to play maybe he'll transfer.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:32 pm

I don't think any encouragement has to be done to any of the players. I think there are some players who are just going to go where they can get more PT. Line certainly wasn't pushed out, he just wanted to play more and have the chance to play his natural position.

Like Line and Koonce, I would guess we are going to see some folks transfer that have talent but were either recruited over or don't have a clean fit. Digetydog makes a good point in the previous post about rewarding the walk-ons. It could be that even more that are leaving. I just think the ones that leave are going to be players in the starting mix at OL and WR last year rather than others.
JasonB

Postby PonyPride » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:48 pm

I saw him on campus yesterday. Said hello, but didn't get a chance to talk with him.
Didn't he go through Senior Day?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:58 pm

PonyPride wrote:

I saw him on campus yesterday. Said hello, but didn't get a chance to talk with him.
Didn't he go through Senior Day?

That might be what I was thinking of. Sounds like he is graduating.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby MadJack » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Digetydog wrote:
JasonB wrote:We have 26 coming in (You already have Thomas listed), so have to get down to 59. 9 players (you have 68 players listed above).

Mitchell was put on scholarship, but those aren't guaranteed beyond a year. That is what I was trying to say before. Cox, Mitchell, Roberts, Stotts. Halverson, Holloway. 3 more.

I would guess a few players who saw PT at corner at the end of last year were probably auditioning, but that is only a guess with no inside information. Also, keep in mind that there was a lot of mention of academics in the class that came in which makes me wonder if there might be a redshirt that struggled and didn't make grades.

Since Morris made a statement about rewarding hard work by giving the walk-ons schollys in the first place, I don't think he will pull them unless they do something "wrong." SInce both Cox and Mitchell got PT last year, I figure they are going to keep them.

Stotts was a true freshman walk-on last semester who played in all 12 games last year and they just put him on scholarship this semester. He is the only experienced long snapper on the team, they are not going to pull his scholarship after 1 semester. I am not sure about the other guys. Still think that several of these guys are on academic scholarships. I find it hard to believe that this coaching staff would accept 25 commitments if they didn't already know they had them to give. No coach wants to be the one to tell a kid he can no longer be on scholarship or in most cases stay at a school like SMU due to the expense if not on scholarship. When these guys are recruiting I guarantee you they are not telling Mom's and Dad's that it is a year to year thing (even though in reality it may be). Coach Morris will lose ground faster than he gained it with the Texas high school coaches if he ever starts taking away scholarships because the kid didn't turn out to be what they thought. If he keeps his nose clean, does his homework, goes to class and works his tail off in practice, they will not pull his scholarship. Will they try to get a kid to quit and open a scholarship, absolutely.
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:51 pm

There will be plenty of tough conversations along the lines of - you can stay here, but you will never touch the field and it is going to be a ton of work. These four programs would love to hear from you......
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:34 pm

a few familiar names on Tyler JC signee list including Michael Epley who is still on the roster above. Again this will not be a problem

Inoke Ngale LB Southern Methodist Univ. Euless Trinity HS
Michael Epley DE Southern Methodist Univ. Leander HS

also Craig-Jim Lawson who committed to SMU but decommitted within days is on Tyler JC signee list
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football