PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Another interesting note from yesterday

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Another interesting note from yesterday

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:31 am

One of the coaches mentioned that the left side DE really has to move. And cover the flat if necessary.

It kind of explains one of the messed up things about our defense last year. If you recall, when the other team ran to their strong side and cut back to the middle, we had one MLB there and then it was gone to the house. With the star playing off of our right hand side, the other two backers are supposed to be in the middle. The left defensive end needs to be able to hold his own and be mobile enough to move out into the flat and cover that area. I love McCleneghan, but that isn't his game. Nor Pruitt. Nor Cox. They don't have the combo of size and mobility. Plus we lack size and decent tackling ability at corner out there. And we didn't have the necessary ability at safety to help out. This caused Yenga to have to shade more outside on the left, leaving one MLB in the middle of the field all alone.

Hopefully the Scott brothers are ready. If so, I expect them to be in that left DE position (or one of the frosh if the Scotts aren't ready), because they have the mobility to get wide and push that LB back inside. That adjustment on its own will really help our run defense a bit. On the opposite side, Lawler's job is to get a push, but also to provide the size to protect the Star to run around and make plays. I think he fits that role just fine.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Another interesting note from yesterday

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:01 am

I think Demerick Gary and Hunter Thedford may have some say so in who is getting time playing DE.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football