PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU to Big XII support from TTU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU to Big XII support from TTU?

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks for posting. I think adding Houston is a no brainer (and I REALLY loathe Houston!). If we can show some football progress over the next 2 years, then I think we can create a compelling argument. I'd actually prefer us to be in the Pac 16, but I'll take any P5 (or if the AAC becomes part of a P6 that works for me, too).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:57 pm

Read the comments following the article, nuff said.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Viva the Matadors?
smupony94

Postby skyscraper » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:49 pm

I don't think anyone is holding their breath for an invite, but it's nice to see something semi-decent written about us.
skyscraper

Postby GreenbeltPony » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:17 pm

I bet Tech is thrilled about the new NCAA practice camp rules.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:55 pm

The new NCAA satellite rules might help us, to a small extent- big programs want big exposure in DFW

Get the football program rolling while LB has basketball in the national picture we might have a puncher's chance at improving our lot when the next round of realignment hits
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby peruna81 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:56 pm

GreenbeltPony wrote:I bet Tech is thrilled about the new NCAA practice camp rules.

yep...Idalou and Benjamin are still safe recruiting grounds...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:57 pm

SMU has the same chance of going to the Big 12 as a snowball has of not melting in hell. As Long as UT is part of the Big 12 we are dead meat.

If the Big 12 expands odds are pretty high Cincy will be one of the new teams taken in to the conference. I don't think Houston has a chance either unless there are some powerful politics involved, which would surprise me.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby mtrout » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:01 pm

We will get into the big12 as soon as it morphs into cusa 3.0
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:55 pm

PK wrote:If the Big 12 expands odds are pretty high Cincy will be one of the new teams taken in to the conference. I don't think Houston has a chance either unless there are some powerful politics involved, which would surprise me.

I think Texas would rather ditch the Big 12 than share a conference with the likes of Cincinnati, Memphis, or UConn.

With all the cord cutting happening now and on down the road, will expanding to new TV markets for the cable networks be as important? What if Big 12 added SMU and Houston and established a permanent presence with eight conference games per year (plus the Red River Rivalry) in the 4th and 9th largest cities in America? Texas' population is exploding, too. I'm not saying it will happen but something to think about-- we have a lot of work to do, though.

I've edited this post three times, I've got to stop drinking tonight
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby friarwolf » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:55 am

Texas will never let us in. Same with the SEC and A&M. Our best hope is that the power conferences go to 16 teams and we get into the Big 10. We fit the best with them academically, geographically (ruling out the Big 12), and time zone wise. Going west to the Pac 12 would suck time zone wise - going east to the ACC would be much better.

Having said that, the 5 power conferences will never go to 16 teams. Why split the existing pie an additional 14 ways? The Pac 12 and the Big 12 both will either top up to 14 teams to match the other 3 conferences or the Big 12 goes away and the remaining 4 conferences go to 16 teams. Notre Dame moves in and some poor schmuck team gets bounced - Rutgers anyone???? My bet is it settles out as 4 conferences. 64 teams is the nice neat number and sets up well for both a football team playoff and wait for it.....March Madness.

The remaining teams playing Division 1 get some sort of NIT football playoffs and the NIT is already there for basketball.

If the 5 conferences survive and settle at 14 teams, we are playing musical chairs for 6 spots. Notre Dame and BYU get 2 spots so we are fighting for 4 spots. I highly doubt we will beat out UCF, USF, Cincy, Houston or Boise State for one of the spots........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:45 am

Lol
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:47 am

Pony Boss wrote:Lol

^^^^^^^
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyKai » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:58 am

A realignment thread? Here? Well I never!
PonyKai

Next

Return to Football