PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Game recap: RBs stand out

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Spring Game recap: RBs stand out

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:33 pm

footballdad wrote:
Stallion wrote:some of you must of forgotten how bad the offense was in 2014 when we came into the season with zero offensive threats. 2015 Offense was a huge improvement-and 2016 Offense will be much better than 2015

Nobody has forgotten. It's interesting you think the 2016 offense will be much better than 2015 with Davis, Colbert, and Hicks as the top 3 QB's, 2 of which you've hated and criticized since day 1.

Actually an argument could be made that statistically, a lot of that 'offensive improvement' was a direct of result of having one of the worst offenses in college history in 2014. Of course the statistical numbers are going to show great improvement. What some people observed, was a seeming lack of creativity, or unwillingness to adapt as the season progressed, given what they learned early in the season.

There were certainly signs of improvement, and more talent at the RB & WR positions. The OLine should be improved as well with an additional year in the system. QB is the obvious problem with this offense really taking that next step, and Morris knows it full well. Is the guru going to adapt, or is he just going to wait another year or 2 and hope a QB savior appears?

Logically, though, we improved significantly last year , will be better at WR and RB, and at worst, Davis has another year in the system and should improve. SO, you could make a point that we should be better than last season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... efficiency

In 2015, we were 85th in offensive efficiency, 122 in defense. In 2014, those numbers were 128,119. In 2013, 76. 87.

Without a significant uptick in either OL or QB play, I could see us rising back into the 70s. But I wouldn't expect anything past that. Defensively, I don't think we get out of the one hundreds unless we have newcomers ready to shine at DT, LB, and S.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Look for WR Brandon Benson and TE/HB Corey Rau to also add immediate help to the skill position. Joshua Shelmire will get a look but because of depth at Boundary Receiver may redshirt.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:02 pm

82Pony wrote:What about Ke'Mon Freeman? Didn't he play QB?

That is the one to whom I was referring.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:32 am

I'm with footballdad on this one (ouch!). If your QB play just isn't there, you improvise. Since we seem to be very deep at RB, let's run the ball more. Quick passes to Proche/Castille and emphasize downfield blocking from your skill positions (we have the size there now with Sutton/Honey/Gaines/Thomas (if he comes back)/Rau. Then, once they're all in the box to stop the run/short dinks/screens, throw it up to Sutton (and Honey). Just stick to that, keep it simple, every once in a while do the jet sweep / reverse / hell even a half back pass, etc. Don't make your QB win the game for you, make them be "managers". Do that consistently, and even with [deleted] defense, we can get up to 4 wins maybe (and that's an improvement which is all I'm looking for at this point).
ojaipony

Postby jimhagle » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:08 am

ojaipony wrote:I'm with footballdad on this one (ouch!). If your QB play just isn't there, you improvise. Since we seem to be very deep at RB, let's run the ball more. Quick passes to Proche/Castille and emphasize downfield blocking from your skill positions (we have the size there now with Sutton/Honey/Gaines/Thomas (if he comes back)/Rau. Then, once they're all in the box to stop the run/short dinks/screens, throw it up to Sutton (and Honey). Just stick to that, keep it simple, every once in a while do the jet sweep / reverse / hell even a half back pass, etc. Don't make your QB win the game for you, make them be "managers". Do that consistently, and even with [deleted] defense, we can get up to 4 wins maybe (and that's an improvement which is all I'm looking for at this point).

What's with the "if he comes back" comment about Thomas?
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:46 am

ojaipony wrote:I'm with footballdad on this one (ouch!). If your QB play just isn't there, you improvise. Since we seem to be very deep at RB, let's run the ball more. Quick passes to Proche/Castille and emphasize downfield blocking from your skill positions (we have the size there now with Sutton/Honey/Gaines/Thomas (if he comes back)/Rau. Then, once they're all in the box to stop the run/short dinks/screens, throw it up to Sutton (and Honey). Just stick to that, keep it simple, every once in a while do the jet sweep / reverse / hell even a half back pass, etc. Don't make your QB win the game for you, make them be "managers". Do that consistently, and even with [deleted] defense, we can get up to 4 wins maybe (and that's an improvement which is all I'm looking for at this point).

Nice thoughts, however you apparently did not see the spring game. Those quick passes were many of the ones sailing high and outside. You cannot establish a short passing game if you cannot throw short passes.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:06 pm

mrydel wrote:

Nice thoughts, however you apparently did not see the spring game. Those quick passes were many of the ones sailing high and outside. You cannot establish a short passing game if you cannot throw short passes.

And if we can't do that, we're really screwed on any deeper outs, posts, flags, crossing routes, etc. etc. Pretty much back to chucking a bomb shot once in a while....which is fine with man coverage. Better start working the hell out of some sort of zone read, or the various QB draws that Watson/Clemson ran so nicely. It's not rocket science, using the QB as a runner just gives you an extra blocker and usually puts the numbers in your favor in the run game. If Davis gets hurt he gets hurt, Colbert seems to be a similar player anyways. Hopefully Rau is that stud blocker that can really help the power run game from day one. If Freeman is the freak runner he looks on film, give him some reps.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:03 pm

jimhagle wrote:

What's with the "if he comes back" comment about Thomas?

Everything I'm reading is saying his mind just isn't in it. And I was told he didn't even SHOW UP for the spring game. Just speculating really.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:04 pm

mrydel wrote:

Correct, I couldn't make it. If we can't make those short/simple throws, how are we going to make ANY other kind of throws? I guess we have bigger fish to fry if we can't even complete those 60%+ of the time.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:05 pm

footballdad wrote:
mrydel wrote:

And if we can't do that, we're really screwed on any deeper outs, posts, flags, crossing routes, etc. etc. Pretty much back to chucking a bomb shot once in a while....which is fine with man coverage. Better start working the hell out of some sort of zone read, or the various QB draws that Watson/Clemson ran so nicely. It's not rocket science, using the QB as a runner just gives you an extra blocker and usually puts the numbers in your favor in the run game. If Davis gets hurt he gets hurt, Colbert seems to be a similar player anyways. Hopefully Rau is that stud blocker that can really help the power run game from day one. If Freeman is the freak runner he looks on film, give him some reps.

Exactly!

(damn, I'm agreeing with footballdad way too much here ... going to take a shower).
ojaipony

Postby etpony » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Tajh Boyd was absolutely horrible in the spring game the year CCM took over at Clemson. He couldn't hit his rear with both hands. If I remember he broke all of Clemsons passing records as well as almost all the passing records in the ACC. I think we will be just fine.
etpony
Recruit

Postby mtrout » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Comparing Boyd to anyone on our team is luda.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:16 am

etpony wrote:Tajh Boyd was absolutely horrible in the spring game the year CCM took over at Clemson. He couldn't hit his rear with both hands. If I remember he broke all of Clemsons passing records as well as almost all the passing records in the ACC. I think we will be just fine.

The challenge is that Davis, Hicks, and Colbert have all been through two springs now and you expect to see a significant step up. It hasn't happened yet.
JasonB

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:29 am

JasonB wrote:The challenge is that Davis, Hicks, and Colbert have all been through two springs now and you expect to see a significant step up. It hasn't happened yet.

JasonB do you think it is a problem that of the 25 incoming freshman none of them are real quarterbacks at this level? Both will probably be DB's.

Did the last minute bail by SMU QB commit David Moore deciding to go be with his girlfriend at Memphis really hurt us at QB?

I am very worried that if Davis goes down we are screwed! And we may start out next year with a true freshman at QB or a transfer that has ZERO experience with Chad.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 am

Most likely scenario is we ride Davis until his legs fall off this season with Hicks at the 2 and Colbert the 3 and both get some playing time (just for experience, especially for Hicks, but don't expect much performance-wise from him). Then, next year, it will be Hicks' job to lose (he SHOULD be "ready" after 3 springs, 3 summers, and a fall with some real playing time). Again, don't expect too much but he should be "ready" by then. Then, hopefully, we get a stud in 2017 we can redshirt who can then really challenge Hicks in his junior/senior years as a solid backup. (and then another pretty good one in 2018 . . . for depth).
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Football