PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Game recap: RBs stand out

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Spring Game recap: RBs stand out

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
JasonB wrote:The challenge is that Davis, Hicks, and Colbert have all been through two springs now and you expect to see a significant step up. It hasn't happened yet.

JasonB do you think it is a problem that of the 25 incoming freshman none of them are real quarterbacks at this level? Both will probably be DB's.

Did the last minute bail by SMU QB commit David Moore deciding to go be with his girlfriend at Memphis really hurt us at QB?

I am very worried that if Davis goes down we are screwed! And we may start out next year with a true freshman at QB or a transfer that has ZERO experience with Chad.

No, I don't think Moore hurt us. If you need to depend on a true frosh at QB or either line you are in trouble anyway. I heard from some of the coaches that they thought Hicks would be ready to shine this Spring and that Davis should be better. I think everyone was surprised that they didn't take a step forward.

Hopefully 7v7 during the summer can work some of that out. Hicks has some arm strength, and you saw some brilliant passes in the spring game. When a QB has some brilliant passes mixed with inconsistency that is all over the place, a lot of times there is a mechanical issue that needs to be resolved. I'm sure the coaches have been fixing something there. Repetition during 7v7 might help him get more consistent and work through those issues.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby fmced » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:20 pm

never recruit a pretty good" QB - each year you try to recruit a Heisman QB
fmced
Recruit

Postby ebrooks11 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:58 pm

fmced wrote:never recruit a pretty good" QB - each year you try to recruit a Heisman QB

And a heisman running back and a heisman receiver and a heisman defensive back and a heisman tight end. That's all we have to do. Simple. But never ever ever ever recruit pretty good ones.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:47 pm

fmced wrote:never recruit a pretty good" QB - each year you try to recruit a Heisman QB

That is not true. We need to recruit the best players possible.

The Heisman is a joke trophy give (more often than not) to the starting QB on a great team - even if he isn't a great QB - Teblow, Crouch, Ward, Wuerffel.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:58 pm

I want some mean kids.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby knuckleup » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:24 am

Again, I was there and ho hum. Feel Morris/crapdock and Mathis in way over their heads. It's amazing how a guy is GA one day then a D1 OC the next. Kinda like Mathis straight out of high school to D1 rb coach.

Aside from layup game (trap game) of d1aa they will struggle. We are 4-5 years away from 500. Lucky to win 2-3 this year. Spring game good dazed and confused as sadly their regular season games. Real holes on o line as well. Talent is there, coaching is not.

Will be there in stands with my girls supporting the team. Just Feel bad for those Pony players
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:39 am

I think your way in over your head. Enjoy these first 2 years of acting like you know what you are talking about because you are going to really look stupid in 2017-18. But by then you'll either not be around or change your handle to InChadWeTrust

(oh yeah forgot this is the guy that always used to post how great Prescott Line was and how June was Coach of the Century)
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:47 am

knuckleup wrote:Again, I was there and ho hum. Feel Morris/crapdock and Mathis in way over their heads. It's amazing how a guy is GA one day then a D1 OC the next. Kinda like Mathis straight out of high school to D1 rb coach.

Aside from layup game (trap game) of d1aa they will struggle. We are 4-5 years away from 500. Lucky to win 2-3 this year. Spring game good dazed and confused as sadly their regular season games. Real holes on o line as well. Talent is there, coaching is not.

Will be there in stands with my girls supporting the team. Just Feel bad for those Pony players

One of the advantages over hiring a coach like Herman is that he does what it takes to win, he isn't married to a scheme. When you bring in people married to a scheme, whether it is the JJ run and shoot, the CM offense, the Mason 3-4 or the 4-2-5, it is going to take a while to adjust and get the right players onboard.

I don't think I would blame the coaching. Some of the more talented players simply don't fit the new scheme. And, as is obvious, we need more talent at a lot of the positions. As a fan, my expectation would be a slight improvement this year in record (4-5 wins), with a significant move forward in 2017. I think the uptick could happen in 2016 if frosh come in at DL, LB, and S and play well/add depth, we stay healthy on the o-line, and a QB takes a step forward. But that is a lot of "ifs". If this isn't one of the better teams in the conference in 2017, then I would get concerned.
JasonB

Postby Digetydog » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:19 am

JasonB wrote:
knuckleup wrote:Again, I was there and ho hum. Feel Morris/crapdock and Mathis in way over their heads. It's amazing how a guy is GA one day then a D1 OC the next. Kinda like Mathis straight out of high school to D1 rb coach.

One of the advantages over hiring a coach like Herman is that he does what it takes to win, he isn't married to a scheme. When you bring in people married to a scheme, whether it is the JJ run and shoot, the CM offense, the Mason 3-4 or the 4-2-5, it is going to take a while to adjust and get the right players onboard.

I don't think I would blame the coaching. Some of the more talented players simply don't fit the new scheme. And, as is obvious, we need more talent at a lot of the positions. As a fan, my expectation would be a slight improvement this year in record (4-5 wins), with a significant move forward in 2017. I think the uptick could happen in 2016 if frosh come in at DL, LB, and S and play well/add depth, we stay healthy on the o-line, and a QB takes a step forward. But that is a lot of "ifs". If this isn't one of the better teams in the conference in 2017, then I would get concerned.

Generally, I agree with your comments, but with a couple of caveats.

1) The Year 1 offensive improvement under Morris was shocking - in a good way. With the same horrible OL and substantially the same QB options, our points per game were up substantially. For the most part, the 2015 offense was June's guys with a few guys mixed in at RB and WR. From an offensive standpoint, I have very little to criticize from 2015. Once the OL becomes respectable, we should have a very effective offense by AAC standards.

2) The Year 1 defensive collapse under Malone was bad. While sticking with the 3-4 for another year might have gotten us 1 (JMU) or 2 (Tulsa) extra wins, would it have mattered in the long run? Why spend time coaching players on the "old" defense? Even if part of me didn't like it, I understand what they are trying to build.

Reasonable 2016 Goals:
1) The offense should continue to improve even if it isn't a finished product by the end of the season; and
2) Regardless of the score, we need to identify and develop defensive stars during the season. Even if none of our players make All-AAC teams in 2016, we need to be able to identify a couple of guys who could be All-AAC players in 2017 and beyond.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:59 am

I'm looking for between 475-500 yards per game on offense this year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby smupony94 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:09 am

Stallion wrote:I'm looking for between 475-500 yards per game on offense this year

In the first quarter
smupony94

Postby footballdad » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:21 pm

JasonB wrote:

"one of the better teams in the conference in 2017"

Only with a minor QB miracle. Just don't see Hicks or Colbert as the guy, plus totally whiffed on QB this year. I suppose Freeman, or a true freshman could be that miracle, but that's a real stretch.

If Morris can take this team to the top of the conference without a stud QB, even more power to him. Again, probably wishful thinking there as well.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I've read some stupid posts on ponyfans but I think knuckle up just took the prize.
gostangs

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:49 pm

smupony94 wrote:
Stallion wrote:I'm looking for between 475-500 yards per game on offense this year

In the first quarter

This runs parallel to the will Rue the day comment. Watching stallion morph into a sun shiner has been awesome however. Prediction pain
Last edited by One Trick Pony on Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:50 pm

the defense in 2017 will be much too young to be one of the best teams in the AAC in 2017-but a bowl game is do-able IF we find a QB. I compliment the staff all the time but they whiffed last year on QB and unlike some of you I think it was pretty major. Ke'mon was East Texas Offensive Player of the Year so he maybe the answer. Even if he's a player I think we are thin at QB unlike at WR, TE and RB where we are starting to stack young play makers. We've got outstanding young playmakers on Offense except at QB and Chad Morris is too good not to put the offense in high gear with these playmakers.
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football